IGNORED

Best audiophile player for Mac

You could ask for HQPlayer to be enhanced so that you simply drag and drop from iTunes straight into HQPlayer. That is available in Decibel, Fidelia, VLC, Audacity and probably most Mac audio apps.

How would that work? iTunes doesn't support FLAC, and I thought HQP didn't support ALAC?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Hey Now,

Most of my 2TB music library is ALAC (95%). I use Roon to play my ALAC files through HQPlayer. Up sample all files to DSD256 with HQPlayer on my iMac. I use NAA on a DIY Intel NUC music streamer with AudioLinux. Works like a champ. Best sound I have gotten out of computer audio so far.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

Why no Decibel?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it. It was very well reviewed in Stereophile, and I use it in addition to itunes. It's the only non-iTunes player I've used, so I'd be interested to know others' opinions of it who have compared it to other players. The UI is just a little bit clunkier than iTunes, but I believe I can detect slightly better sound with Decibel. And it's cheap, too!

-Bob

• 4 years later...
On 2/28/2016 at 6:35 PM, romavictor said:

Hey guys

Looking to retire the sub par olive 1 that I'm using right now for a custom Mac mini music server. The mini will be used only for music, nothing else. It'll be hooked up to an external SSD.

Any suggestions on music software that's best suited for a mac is greatly appreciated. One that'll handle all music files up to the highest quality DSD codec with the ease of an app for total control.

Thank you

Hello,

You should try this (apparently) excellent Mac OS player : SwinSian (http://swinsian.com/)

It has been recommend by one of the greatest designer of digital playback electronics John BROWN :

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-768.html#post6277163

(If you want ot know more about John and its projects maybe sshould you look at this thread)

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't see how anyone can use it and come to that conclusion.

Honestly, the Qobuz>HQPlayer is about the only reason why I use it. I know it has lots of "features", but I don't really need nor use much of them.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, 4est said:

Honestly, the Qobuz>HQPlayer is about the only reason why I use it. I know it has lots of "features", but I don't really need nor use much of them.

I also use it with HQPlayer and Qobuz but I also have a ton of local files as well and being able to browse them both in one place is sure nice, not to mention the network streaming and control capabilities with the iPad. Am I the only one still buying music files and CDs?

If you're dead set on playing music directly from a Mac, then Audirvana with the direct mode hack is unbeatable.

No electron left behind.

35 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

...Am I the only one still buying music files and CDs?

No. 😊

My apartment complex's free Wi-Fi internet service doesn't allow streaming of any kind, audio or video. So I have never been able to check out any of the streaming services. I no longer purchase downloads as the ones I dislike or no longer like can't be traded in or sold so I can only delete them at a 100% loss. This is one reason I think streaming has become so popular, no risk.

Nowadays, I purchase mostly SACDs and occasionally Blu-rays. Been buying a lot of SACDs from Berkshire Record Outlet. They sell Classical closeouts and overruns, some may have a hole drilled or a notch cut into the case. Right now they have a lot of PentaTone SACDs for $6.99 per disc and these have no drill holes or notches, just like you would buy from a major retailer.

P.S. Here is a link to the SACDs at Berkshire Record Outlet.

P.S.S. I use the Teac HR Audio Player for DSF and FLAC music files.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I also use it with HQPlayer and Qobuz but I also have a ton of local files as well and being able to browse them both in one place is sure nice, not to mention the network streaming and control capabilities with the iPad. Am I the only one still buying music files and CDs?

If you're dead set on playing music directly from a Mac, then Audirvana with the direct mode hack is unbeatable.

Well, there are other ways to use HQPlayer for local files, but only one way to use Qobuz that I am aware of.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz