IGNORED

Multiple reclocking (SOTM, REGEN, BADA, ...) harmful or beneficial ?

Hi everybody,

I wonder if it's harmful or beneficial to proceed a multiple reclocking as this example :

- PC with SOtM tX-USBexp (1 clock) -> Uptone REGEN (1 clock) -> USB DAC (1 clock)

The above is just an example of the question (there are many other configurations where are the multiple reclocking).

Thank in advance for your reples.

Have a nice day.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Digital circuits need clocks, that is what makes them tick. In a perfect world you would need exactly one clock source. As near as possible to the digital-to-analogue conversion, and derive all other clock signals from here.

In a less perfect world, each circuit would have its own clock, with the next in line slaving to it. This is where re-clockers like REGEN come in: they help to overcome imperfections in the upstream clock circuitry. Possibly you could do without REGEN, if your source signal is good enough.

Also on the DAC side, devices which rely on the recovered clock from the incoming signal profit more from improving the signal quality than devices which have sophisticated internal clock recovery features.

Thus, as always, it depends ...

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I have 2 reclocking devices before my DAC, They both also put out clean power. The 2 together are better than either alone.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks the guys, greatly apreciated your input:)

I was wondering it the successives reclocking of the signal is not a problem (as the pro devices prefer just 1 only master clock while the others slaved in to the master, as I suppose it's not a case in the examples with multiple clocks mentioned by me above).

Personnally I use the multiple clocks too (but I am not sure it's the best way)

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Great, thanks.

So it seems the clock just before the DAC is more important one (2 votes) ?

Great, thanks.

So it seems the clock just before the DAC is more important one (2 votes) ?

Hi,

unfortunately I do not think it is that easy. Running a very similar setup to that of wkhanna I found that a good 10M clock can help improve the sound of the really good Mutec MC3+. With the new Mutec MC3+ USB the internal clock source is already very good, at least my pretty good DiY 10M can't improve anything. Yet it is the Acousence AFI which has so far been the best USB-reclocking device I ever tried. The guy who developed the piece even claims that the precision of the clock before the DAC isn't all that important, he focussed on isolation of the incoming signal.

Hi,

unfortunately I do not think it is that easy. Running a very similar setup to that of wkhanna I found that a good 10M clock can help improve the sound of the really good Mutec MC3+. With the new Mutec MC3+ USB the internal clock source is already very good, at least my pretty good DiY 10M can't improve anything. Yet it is the Acousence AFI which has so far been the best USB-reclocking device I ever tried. The guy who developed the piece even claims that the precision of the clock before the DAC isn't all that important, he focussed on isolation of the incoming signal.

What is interesting about the Acousence is it's use of optical isolation. Several of us on this forum have switched out copper ethernet for fiber in our networks with positive benefits. It would be interesting to compare a Mutec to a Acousense in a system that is already optically isolated.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

excellent info...

since all DAC's are not created equal, nor should they be....my rationale was simply to present as little work as possible to the DAC's own re-clocking circuit.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I have had a few re locking schemes over the past three(ish) years.

my current is

PC>sotm USB (clock 1)>Audiobyte Hydra Z D-D converter (clock 2)>Primare DAC30 (clock3).....

This has been my best iteration thus far, I'm a converted fan of almost every re locking ideas I have used as they always yield a better result than not.... In the case of my current setup it's really a fantastic setup

My 2cents