IGNORED

PI Audio & Curious USB cables for Uptone Regen & similar usage

I posted a review of the PI Audio USB cable a while back: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/p-i-audio-and-other-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cables-25273/#post450309

I'm still using the PI Audio USB cable out from my Mac. After purchasing an Uptone Audio Regen, I experimented with the short cable, hard adaptor and my 3' db Labs Essential USB cable to the AR-T Legato. None of them were really satisfactory after hearing the difference the PI Audio cable made, so I went looking for an alternative and thus ordered the Curious Regen Link based on all of the really positive comments.

System is a 2010 Mac Mini w Pure Music (8GB memory, 5TB external drive) > AQ Jitterbug > PI Audio USB cable > Uptone Regen > short USB cable > AR-T Legato > P.A.D. Aureus Praesto Digital IC (BNC) > E.E. DAC Plus (modded) > Kaplan Cable GS Mk. 2.5 ICs > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & KT66s) > Kaplan Cable GS Mk. II SCs > Aural Acoustics Model B speakers (time aligned & phase coherent). P.I. Audio Digi-Buss & Buss-Stop power conditioners with Triode Wire Labs power cords (Digital, digital HC, 7+, 8+).

The usual caveats: IMS, IMHO, no financial connection.

The Curious (which i broke in well) was a clear improvement over what I had been using before. It is powerfully dynamic, quiet, resolving, and punchy with tight bass, sparkling highs and pronounced image separation and depth of soundstage. Unfortunately, I also found it to be a touch dry and up-tilted in the upper mid-range and treble, which along with somewhat accented leading edge transients produced a forwardness to the sound which I found fatiguing after a couple of hours on certain material (brass, violins).

I thus procured from PI Audio a short (5”, price: $89) USB cable, to substitute for the Curious link.

This cable is just as quiet (maybe even a little more so) and resolving. The bass is less tight, more rounded and textured. It also has good dynamics but less so than the Curious and likewise does not have the almost extreme image separation and depth of the latter. But conversely the soundstage is more coherent; the leading edge, held note and trailing transients more balanced. The tonality and harmonics, particularly in the highs, are more accurate. All of these characteristics, to my hearing, produce a more continuous, easeful, and natural sound. I kept the PI cable.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I think the OP is talking about cables made by Dave Elledge, owner of PI Audio Group. Dave makes the fabulous UberBuss power conditioner (among other products). I'm a long time customer have nothing but the best to say about both Dave and his products.

I should add that I have not heard the PI Audio USB cable.

From classfolkphile's review: http://www.piaudiogroup.com

(But no mention of USB cables on the site)

That is the correct url. IIRC, I think the site is in the process of a needed upgrade.

Although Dave Elledge recently moved over to AudioNervosa, there is actually more information on his background and products on an archived circle at AudioCircle than anywhere else. Here: P.I. audio group

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I have a ton of his stuff, speciality is noise reduction, power conditioning, cables, filters. I have a 1 1/2 m of his USB. Does a lot of custom work. Very reasonable prices and you won't find a nicer more decent guy. His site is not current and he's a one man operation so you have to be willing to wait. My system is dead quiet with his gear, yes he's moved to AudioNervosa.

PIAUDIO DIGIBUSS

rogerdn

Hi, guys. Dave Elledge, P.I. audio group, LLC, here.

First, thanks to classfolkphile for the kind review on the cable I built for him. Another thank you to rogerdn, too.

My business is primarily noise filtration units for AC and DC applications. That is what you will find on my crappy website.

[ Sidebar: yeah, I know it sucks, but it is merely a placeholder at this point. 99% of my business comes from referrals and I am quite busy with work. As mentioned above I work alone and slowly. I've had health issues over the last few years stemming from a near fatal auto accident and have learned that life is too short to get my knickers in a wad. The site will be updated, I'm just unsure as to when. ]

I do custom work in several different audio disciplines. All of them are linked by my opinion that noise, electrical or environmental, is one of our major antagonists in superior SQ. Noise sources are a strange lot. From traffic noise to digital buzz in the GHz, all of it must be addressed. No place is in more important than in digital power supplies... and it comes from everywhere.

One of the reasons that my USB cables are relatively unknown is that most of my small production has been OEM for others.

Pretty much, that's me. I can be contacted directly : dgelledges(at)msn(dot)com.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe

All of them are linked by my opinion that noise, electrical or environmental, is one of our major antagonists in superior SQ. Noise sources are a strange lot. From traffic noise to digital buzz in the GHz, all of it must be addressed. No place is in more important than in digital power supplies... and it comes from everywhere.

Couldn't agree more, solving this (and clocking) is the final nail for 'crap digital sound'.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

All of them are linked by my opinion that noise, electrical or environmental, is one of our major antagonists in superior SQ. Noise sources are a strange lot. From traffic noise to digital buzz in the GHz, all of it must be addressed. No place is in more important than in digital power supplies... and it comes from everywhere.

My conclusion as well...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Classfolkphile,

Thank you for posting (both times). I hadn't known about Dave's USB cord until today. I sent Dave an email an hour ago asking about his USB cable and his expected completion/shipping date. Heck. I may as well get it to round out my PI Audio collection of goodies, and to get even more enjoyment out of my new Gustard X20U DAC.

Mike, check your email...

Classicfolkphile and I put our heads together, got sparks and came up with a name for the short link.

Let it be called PIGLET. Goes with all of my other eccentric product names.

D

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe

PIGLET! LOL!

Oddly, I have this image of your using lard or bacon grease to grease the cable to give it that special quality.

I've already read the email, and will forward the funds to you with special mailing address instructions in a few minutes. [Edit: Funds have been sent.]

Michael

Piglet is the name for the short pigtail like CFP got to go to the Regen. The regular USB cable is called The USB cable.

Mike, bacon grease is one of the beautiful things in life. It smells good, it tastes good and it is a great lubricant - just ask the settlers in NM back in the 1600's or any pig.

I do have a special sauce, but it isn't bacon grease. You'll find out when you visit here in May :-)

D

• 2 weeks later...

Coukd someone here, be so kind as to post a photo or two of said PI Audio USB cables, as I'm torn between the Curious Cable and C.A.D. USB cables as it stands, so this post definitely caught my attention, yet I'm somewhat of a visual shopper as well.

Regards,

O_o scar

Regards,

O_o scar

Coukd someone here, be so kind as to post a photo or two of said PI Audio USB cables, as I'm torn between the Curious Cable and C.A.D. USB cables as it stands, so this post definitely caught my attention, yet I'm somewhat of a visual shopper as well.

Regards,

O_o scar

I said in an earlier post I had one but actually it's an Ethernet cable so can't post one for you.

rogerdn

Tomorrow when I'm back in the office I will post a picture or two of the digital cables.

I know that my website sucks. It was designed back in the days of coal fired, steam driven computers and is currently just a place holder in the world of 100Mbps connection rates. I can only work so fast and we live in an injection molded, microwave society that wants everything last week. I guess it comes down to whether or not people are willing to wait for great products. I can only build so fast and WILL NOT compromise quality for throughput.

More tomorrow.

Hello dBe,

I for one certainly consider it worth the wait, as mentioned I'm trying my best to hold off and merely judge on not only sonic level, but visually as to how all three of said USB cables stack up towards one another before committing to either.

But attempting to read between the lines on what the OP, mentioned as differences between your USB cable and that of the Curious Cable USB, well how should I put it?, have me more then a little curious ( pun intended ) so I'm willing to see where this goes?, as I can't see spending over $1.000 on said cables, when in fact I'm all to aware that are many that will suffice between the $350 - $600 price ranges equally as well.

Regards,

O_o scar

dBe,

is is there a remote chance you'll have time to post those photos anytime soon?. As I'm once again trying to narrow down my chosen and am very interested in your design, and I see that you've an AC cord for Mac Mini's as well............, that's even more reason for me to consider your wares.

Regards,

O_o scar

dBe,

is is there a remote chance you'll have time to post those photos anytime soon?. As I'm once again trying to narrow down my chosen and am very interested in your design, and I see that you've an AC cord for Mac Mini's as well............, that's even more reason for me to consider your wares.

Our daughter and family are in own and it has been a wild day.

thumb_DSCN0270_1024.jpg

This is a picture of the two USB cables that I am offering at this time. On the right is The USB Cable for USB 2 in a 1.5m length. On the left is a 1m USB3 cable (simply called Tres) primarily used as a data transfer cable between computers and external storage. I am using them between my Mac Mini and my main 2TB HDD as well as in a backup system that I have. Piglet is a shorter version of The USB Cable. They are all cryogenically treated.

My MPC/Mini++ Mac Mini power cable won a PFO Brutus Product of the Year award a couple of years back. It is a KILLER power cable for Mac minis in digital audio systems.

Hello dBe,

I do understand commitment to family, and commend you on making time for them. And I'm loving this fresh appearance of your USB cables as well, as that cotton and hemp material makes for a very unique USB cabling look indeed.

And your MPC|Mini certainly did catch my eye as well, I certainly have added both to my short list of items to own, and shall be contacting you in weeks to come.

Thanks for taking the time to share said photos, and here's wishing you the best in all your future endeavors.

Regards,

O_o scar