IGNORED

Auralic Aries Ethernet

Read this.... Take note that these are 1000Mbps TP-Link ONLY. Won't work for for 10/100 Mbps. Does this apply to me? Xfinity modem/router to Aries

Gigabit (1000Mbps) ports are typically backwards-compatible with 10/100 Ethernet.

The Aries operates at 1000Mbps. My Xfiniti modem router does too.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Read this.... Take note that these are 1000Mbps TP-Link ONLY. Won't work for for 10/100 Mbps. Does this apply to me? Xfinity modem/router to Aries

If you go through the trouble of inserting a fiber link into your Ethernet connection between modem/router and Aries, there is no guarantee that the sound would be better than using a wireless link to Aries. The galvanic isolation of the fiber link is supposed to have a sonic payoff, but I've found the sound of my Aries using wireless to be excellent already. It depends on how far you are willing to go to experiment to compare tricked out wired and wireless setups.

My Aries is powered by an Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS, and I use the 5GHz wireless radio band as recommended by Auralic. I currently favor a Toslink optical link (Lifatec Silflex glass cable) to my Vega DAC. I firmly believe that the less electrical workload imposed on Aries, the better the sound. Avoiding the USB output should help keep Aries electronically quieter on its main board. I even offload FLAC to WAV decoding from Aries, using MinimServer/MinimStreamer on my music server to do it instead, and heard a sonic improvement.

Hopefully one day soon I'll bring my FMCs and optic fiber cable to my friend's place to do a wired vs. wireless comparison with Aries. Ever since we both started using Aries, the wired and wireless setups have alternately become superior sounding as we worked on optimizations. YMMV.

I even offload FLAC to WAV decoding from Aries, using MinimServer/MinimStreamer on my music server to do it instead, and heard a sonic improvement.

I used to do the same until I realised that I had oodles of free disk space, so I unpacked all my FLAC files to AIFF and now there is no processing/unpacking to be done. I also use WiFi on the 5gHz band, it is rock solid and sounds great.

I thought Auralic recommended wireless to the Aries and USB to the Vega. It seems you all have your own ideas...

Free thought is alive and well :) I do know Auralic recommended WiFi but I don't recall a specific USB recommendation? When I used my Vega I always fed it via AES/EBU from the Aries.

Anyway, just go with what sounds best to you. It is nice to see other people's preferences or opinions but as you will notice, they can vary wildly from person to person.

I've been wondering which can sound better: storing all music in uncompressed form, or storing in FLAC and decode before feeding Aries. The former minimizes processing but has increased disk activity and the latter is opposite. For redbook 16/44 content the difference may not be huge, but for high res (up to DXD) the bitrate is several times higher. For a given setup, it may depend on whether the FLAC decoding or the higher disk activity generates more electrical noise. There's probably no hard and fast rule. In any case, it looks (sounds) like Aries delivers better SQ when it doesn't have to perform FLAC to PCM decoding with its processor.

I've been wondering which can sound better: storing all music in uncompressed form, or storing in FLAC and decode before feeding Aries. The former minimizes processing but has increased disk activity and the latter is opposite. For redbook 16/44 content the difference may not be huge, but for high res (up to DXD) the bitrate is several times higher. For a given setup, it may depend on whether the FLAC decoding or the higher disk activity generates more electrical noise. There's probably no hard and fast rule. In any case, it looks (sounds) like Aries delivers better SQ when it doesn't have to perform FLAC to PCM decoding with its processor.

Agreed 100%

I use a very simple and straight Setup.

A Synology DS 213 Air is powered by a 12 Volt SBooster

My Music is stored on 2 Samsung SSD Inside the 213Air.

Now the NAS is streaming the music direct to my Aries.

That means perfect isolation because there is no need for a switch, Modem or a expensive cables, etc, - oh yes, ... and it sounds very good !!

What are your sentences about this Setup ?

Christian

That means perfect isolation because there is no need for a switch, Modem or a expensive cables, etc, - oh yes, ... and it sounds very good !!

If your Aries or the iOS device that controls it can still access the internet through your ISP, there still may be a benefit from optical isolation as I described above.

To be honest though, I'm not sure if the benefits I heard were from elimination of a 25' run of copper Ethernet cable or from isolating my Aries from the noise on my home network. Probably both.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I use a very simple and straight Setup.

What are your sentences about this Setup ?

Christian

I admit I no nothing about networking,but I thought the Aries required an AC router? The DS 213 Air is 802.11n

what does have you set in the stream.transcode property field ?

Just one clarification, the Aries works fine with an 802.11n router, specifically if you have a router that does not support 802.11AC it should still work fine. In fact many of the non Aries Mini models have shipped with a 802.11n module. And for this which have a 802.11AC module they still support 802.11n.

I can attest to that having had both versions of the Aries.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Isolation from what. Don't you get more noise,less stability over the wifi? Seems to me if you have 2 wireless laptops an Ipad plus the Aries it would be less isolated... and ethernet would be steadier and cleaner.

I use dedicated Wi-Fi bridge for Wi-Fi connection that the Aries own the connection solely.

從我的 LG-H959 發送