IGNORED

Auralic Aries Ethernet

Isolation from electrical noise conducted over Ethernet cable. Unshielded twisted pair Ethernet cables (e.g. CAT5) can also pick up EMI and carry it into the device. Using wireless will provide galvanic isolation between the music server (source of the music) and the renderer (Aries).

In practice, it is possible for wireless to sound better than wired, or vice versa. It can depend on how complicated the wired network is (switches, routers, # of connected devices, etc.) compared to the wireless. Both types of networks can suffer traffic collisions which I can't imagine as being good for music streaming.

Results for wired streaming may change if some form of galvanic isolation is inserted, e.g. FMCs and a length of fiber optic cable, or Ethernet isolators (Baaske, etc.). For wireless, I have heard sonic improvements resulting from a wireless radio of the router (e.g. 5GHz) being completely dedicated to Aries (i.e. all other wireless devices connected to another radio e.g. 2.4GHz). My Aries talks to my wireless router over 5GHz with no other device connected. Even my iPad running Lightning DS is on the 2.4GHz band.

YMMV, of course.

Are you saying you use 2 routers? One dedicated to the Aries 5g and another for your other components like the Ipad and laptop? How do you run 2 routers?

Not two routers -- two bands on one router. Most new routers have both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands which function simultaneously. 2.4 GHz has longer range since it's able to better penetrate walls. 5 GHz is less crowded, thus less interference for streaming devices.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

Yes. My router is a D-Link DIR-868L Dual-Band AC-1750 router, with one 2.4GHz radio and one 5GHz radio.

I was considering an upgrade to a tri-radio (1 x 2.4GHz, 2 x 5GHz) router (AC-3200 or even AC-5300), but since I just took delivery of an Eero 3-pack, I'll work on getting the Eero integrated into my home network instead.

Let us know what you think of the Eero, I had been interested in it, but only a few reviews online. I do know that it will only broadcasts one SSID ( excepting guest network access ) so you won't be able to isolate by band with it. To date I have been happy with my two Apple Extremes, so don't yet have a compelling reason to switch yet. I have also considered moving to tri-radio.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I've sent Eero several questions and am awaiting responses before jumping into Eero setup. I have several wired Ethernet clients and over a dozen wireless clients all served by my wireless router, so I can't just ditch that router in favor of the Eeros. I'd also like to have a setup where the Eeros can free up my router's 5GHz radio to be dedicated to my Aries renderer. A friend recently bought a tri-radio AC-3200 router (TP-Link) and reserved one of the two 5GHz radios to his Aries exclusively, and a noticeable improvement in streaming SQ was the result. I'm hoping to achieve a similar improvement with my dual-band router and the Eeros in harmonious coexistence. I know the Eeros can do double NAT, but would like to know about any viable alternatives.

So as to not fully hijack the thread:

@2string1 - my recommendation is to not worry about it too much, try one, try the other and determine which you like better. I am using my Aries wirelessly and do not feel I am missing anything by not using ethernet.

@scan80269 - I look forward to hearing more, especially as I better understand your setup and goals, as moving to just an Eero only system would not meet my needs either, plus I m curious how you will configure the setup to have both work in tandem.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Yes. My router is a D-Link DIR-868L Dual-Band AC-1750 router, with one 2.4GHz radio and one 5GHz radio.

I was considering an upgrade to a tri-radio (1 x 2.4GHz, 2 x 5GHz) router (AC-3200 or even AC-5300), but since I just took delivery of an Eero 3-pack, I'll work on getting the Eero integrated into my home network instead.

Is it possible to power the Eero over ethernet (POE)? I currently have multiple Unifi AP's across the house using POE, however, i do experience handoff issues. I'd like to replace them with Eero without rewiring the house.

pretty impressed with my unifi. i got the long-range AC version which seems to cover my entire house pretty well.

This is taken from my iphone 6s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24428[/ATTACH]

yes. they work pretty well individually (at least in my experience). In my house, one LR AP does not suffice. Solid concrete walls :)

Instead, i have 2 AP AC and 1 LR AP. So when i walk from one corner of the house to another, the AP's need to handoff to one another... they are advertised as zero handoff... not exactly in my opinion.

yes. they work pretty well individually (at least in my experience). In my house, one LR AP does not suffice. Solid concrete walls :)

Instead, i have 2 AP AC and 1 LR AP. So when i walk from one corner of the house to another, the AP's need to handoff to one another... they are advertised as zero handoff... not exactly in my opinion.

ah, i see. i did see one reviewer mention that the AC version doesn't support zero handoff

Two Apple Extreme Routers - latest model with 802.11ac support. One on each floor.

This is from Macbook with only 802.11n support sitting outside about ~30 feet from router, with side of house between me and the router.

outside.jpg

@2string1 - my recommendation is to not worry about it too much, try one, try the other and determine which you like better. I am using my Aries wirelessly and do not feel I am missing anything by not using ethernet.

This is generally good advice. I reliably heard no difference between wired and wireless at first.

I did have to switch to wired though as the Aries kept grabbing a weak signal from an Airport Extreme downstairs instead of the Airport Express in the same room.

A couple weeks ago I implemented the optical isolation method recommended in another thread here that involves using fiber optic cable. This was a significant upgrade. Those looking to squeeze the best out of their Aries should consider going this route.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

This is generally good advice. I reliably heard no difference between wired and wireless at first.

I did have to switch to wired though as the Aries kept grabbing a weak signal from an Airport Extreme downstairs instead of the Airport Express in the same room.

A couple weeks ago I implemented the optical isolation method recommended in another thread here that involves using fiber optic cable. This was a significant upgrade. Those looking to squeeze the best out of their Aries should consider going this route.

How do you use a fiber optic cable? There is no input for that... Where is that thread? Was it an upgrade from ethernet or just a better connection for your situation?

Was it an upgrade from ethernet or just a better connection for your situation?

I'll answer your second question first. The connection was fine. What I gained from implementing optical isolation was a noticeable reduction in noise. The noise floor dropped and delivered a noticeable increase in low level details. Jaw-droppingly so. Also it was as if a veil had been stripped away leaving voices and instruments sounding more realistic and just present in the room.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

How do you use a fiber optic cable?

My sense is that a long run of copper ethernet acts like an antenna picking up noise. The idea behind optical isolation is to break the follow of noise using fiber optic cable and copper-to-fiber converters. Here's an illustration:

optical.png

In my case a 25' length of copper Cat6 cable was feeding my Auralic Aries:

Wall -> 25' copper -> Aries

I swapped this for the following:

Wall -> 1' copper Cat7 -> converter -> 7m of fiber -> converter -> 1' copper Cat7 -> Aries

So no more long antenna of copper ethernet.

The results? Here are some comments I shared with some friends after making the change.

"There’s something very special about the sound now in terms of realism. I’ve been going back to a few tracks on the 24 bit version of Peter Gabriel’s “Scratch My Back” to evaluate these recent changes. Peter’s voice and the strings took on new life last night. As close to as in-the-room as I’d ever heard Peter sound and as natural as the strings have sounded.

I also listened to the Blu-spec CD of Janis Ian's “Breaking Silence” last night. I have long used the LP to evaluate system enhancements. That the vocals on the CD rip actually caused my jaw to drop says a lot. I actually played these rips a few nights ago just to set a baseline and definitely didn't have the same reaction."

Total cost was around $150. Here’s what I purchased:

1) A pair of these at $47 each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATKQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

2) One of these at $17 each (you'll likely need a different length):

http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y3F5I0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

3) A pair of these at $6 each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ZZ89AI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02

4) And a pair of these linear supplies at $11 each (these are optional, but I purchased them as I didn't want to introduce any SMPS to my listening room):

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&freeText=+1953612&langId=-1&productId=1953612&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

This delivered a very significant improvement to my system. I think part of this is due to me having already done a reasonable job of lowering my system's noise floor.

Seems like an awful lot of connections. I always thought the less the better.

I'm not sure that's the case with Ethernet.