IGNORED

You are a Niche, The Future Explained

NOMBEDES

The recent HQP v. Vinyl thread; over 200 posts of common sense, rancor and fat guys on motorcycles, was an exercise in the technologies of the past. Allow me to clarify the future.

Vinyl. Will remain a niche. I would guess that we will be playing records for the next 50 years if not longer.

CD (et al). Will continue on the slide to another niche, certainly will last as long as vinyl.

Computer Audio CA). CA as such, destined to be yet another niche. A hobby for the Computer Literate.

The future of music is, of course, related to the unlamented Computer Audio, the single box able to input, store, and play music in various formats without drama. No tagging, the box does that, no driver compatibility issues (al la OS X and the horrid W4Sound DAC2), no computer speak, just a box that works.

In short, you plug, you play.

A brave new world.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Vinyl. Will remain a niche. I would guess that we will be playing records for the next 50 years if not longer.

CD (et al). Will continue on the slide to another niche, certainly will last as long as vinyl.

Computer Audio CA). CA as such, destined to be yet another niche..

So when you got a niche, you scratch it?

The recent HQP v. Vinyl thread; over 200 posts of common sense, rancor and fat guys on motorcycles, was an exercise in the technologies of the past. Allow me to clarify the future.

Computer Audio CA). CA as such, destined to be yet another niche. A hobby for the Computer Literate.

The future of music is, of course, related to the unlamented Computer Audio, the single box able to input, store, and play music in various formats without drama. No tagging, the box does that, no driver compatibility issues (al la OS X and the horrid W4Sound DAC2), no computer speak, just a box that works.

In short, you plug, you play.

A brave new world.

So, an internet radio that connects via cell towers?

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "It's the phone-conomy, stupid". A box, you say? Most have no interest in a box.

We're just niching all over!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Most have no interest in a box.

No interest in a box? It is well known that audiophiles like boxes. In fact, the thicker the alloy, the brighter the shine, the greater the weight, the better. The better the box, the better the music. Many of us listen with our eyes.

Need a DAC? It is in a box, why not two boxes? You can have a DAC with a second box to house your $5000. clock.

Need an amplifier? Why not two amplifiers? Mono Blocs. Hell, let us have amplifiers for the bass and amplifiers for the mid range and amplifiers for the tweeter. Why not toss a preamp in there also? Oh, maybe an extra box for the Phono?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law