IGNORED

Macbook El Capitan/Yosemite

Starre

Do you use a recent macbook with you dac? Does it work with El Capitan and/or Yosemite OS?

I am contemplating getting a MacBook Air 13 but I have read online about all kinds of USB dacs and similar not working any more with Mac. I use my Meitner dac with a Windows 10 laptop but am curious about using a Mac.

Hold your horses.

*Some* dacs that depend on proprietary driver that has not been updated will experience trouble with the two latest OSX releases.

If memory serves correctly this applies to older dacs from Chord, M2Tech and (??).

Your Meitner dac has updated drivers?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Firmware of my dac is from summer 2014. It normally needs no specific drivers to work with Mac.

Then it will work fine with your Mac. I have a number of USB DACs in house, none of which require a driver to work with either my Macbook or my Mini and I run El Capitan on both and all DACs work fine, Before I installed El Capitan, I ran Yosemite on both. Same result. All DACs worried perfectly.

George

Which Macbook is enough for playing music files, hi rez and DSD with low latency?

Any current gen macbook should be able to pull that off unless you are referring to PCM to DSD on the fly conversion. In that case even the i7 Air may not be up to the task. I bought a used 2012 MBP quad core i7 2.7ghz just for this and it has no trouble.

If he can afford it, I suggest a mac mini and a laptop, and then one can use Apple's remote display to display the mini on the laptop from the comfort of the listening position.
I am not familiar with macs but, If one uses a mac mini, why wouldn't one simply use an iPad at the listening position?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

It all depends on which software you use on the macbook or mini. With A+ running on my Mini, I screenshare to control with my macbook pro. Ipad has the A+ app that doesn't allow full functionality and has some quirks.

A+, Amarra & PureMusic users all have our own tales of woe with software. JRiver is relatively newer contender in the Mac universe(after years as Windows popular choice) but sound quality for Mac version is reportedly not up to SQ of the other 3 mentioned. I haven't tried that yet, but of the first crop, I prefer A+ sound quality.

When all is said and done, will be happy to replace the Mac with a dedicated low power linux computer or something like the pending Sonore Microrendu. IMHO all the mac control software(except JRiver) sets a low bar.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

After some research I have found what seems to be a problem with El Capitan and a dac with usb 2.0 using async usb transfer. It does not support it anymore! It will not let the dac take control of clocking! This is really serious since my dac use this and many more I am sure. I really hope this will be fixed but who knows, and why was it removed? Sigh...

No Starre, that is incorrect.

Asynchronous transfer mode is enabled by the dac/driver, not the OS.

Where did you find that information?

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

USB 3 is not used for audio, only USB 2. Not the same thing.

You really have nothing to worry about.

USB 3 is not used for audio, only USB 2. Not the same thing.

You really have nothing to worry about.

Exactly. No problems at all.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Again, no problem. They are compatible.

UBS 3 is UBS 2 plus two new wires and four contacts. There are some images showing this on the wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0