IGNORED

is there a windows controlled music server available?

Is there a music server on the market that can be controlled by windows pc or web browser?

I want a physical box with standard rca analog line out that that has ssd and is networked, but can be controlled (e.g. copy files and play controls) from a windows pc. Something similar to aurender, but i can drag and drop files to a ssd, and play from pc. Not like minimus dlna.

Is there a music server on the market that can be controlled by windows pc or web browser?

I want a physical box with standard rca analog line out that that has ssd and is networked, but can be controlled (e.g. copy files and play controls) from a windows pc. Something similar to aurender, but i can drag and drop files to a ssd, and play from pc. Not like minimus dlna.

I would question whether this exact setup makes sense. From my perspective, the solution to what you want is a simple 2-box setup, where both are connected to the same network and one can be stored anywhere (physically):

1) A NAS with the SSDs (or other storage media), which can be placed anywhere.

2) An audio streamer with web interface and built-in DAC (optionally the DAC could be a separate box, too).

Then you can access the shares of 1) to manage your library just as it was on your computer and go to the web interface of 2) to play your music. Separation of concerns - it is, of course, possibly to combine storage, player, and DAC into one box, but this does not seem the standard way nor would I think it is the best from a usability/performance point of view.

Best,

Søren

You can control any UPnP supporting network audio player/renderer/streamer from a Windows machine, even the Auralic Aries Mini, if you install UPnP controller (aka control point) software on it.

Incidentally, please don't refer to UPnP network audio file players like the Aries Mini as a 'music server' as the term can easily be confused with a UPnP media server, a totally different device in the context of UPnP network streaming.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

You can control any UPnP supporting network audio player/renderer/streamer from a Windows machine, even the Auralic Aries Mini, if you install UPnP controller (aka control point) software on it.

Incidentally, please don't refer to UPnP network audio file players like the Aries Mini as a 'music server' as the term can easily be confused with a UPnP media server, a totally different device in the context of UPnP network streaming.

Correct me if i am wrong, but a UPNP controller is for streaming? i don't want to stream music. I want ability to copy (like drag and drop) files from my pc to the ssd in the remote box and to have control features of the remote box from my pc. When you say upnp controller, is that the name of a specific program or are you just saying any upnp controller like a dlna server? Can you clarify please? Again, i don't want to stream...i just want to control the remote box with a windows pc. The music will reside on the music box and played from there.

PS, you told me about minimus dlna software and i used that before to stream dsd music...that worked great thanks for sharing that great tool, but that is not the same thing i want.

I use 2 computers - with Roon.

My music is on an SSD in a CAPS like PC running headless Roon server. I control it with both an iPad, or, more commonly, my other PC, which is at my desk. I use the microsoft remote desktop to directly control the audio PC. I can either drag files across the remote, or, more commonly, plug in a USB drive to the Audio PC, and move files onto the SSD.

I am not aware of a Linux machine that will do that as well, but that's probably my ignorance speaking. I know there are many Linux streaming devices.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I use 2 computers - with Roon.

My music is on an SSD in a CAPS like PC running headless Roon server. I control it with both an iPad, or, more commonly, my other PC, which is at my desk. I use the microsoft remote desktop to directly control the audio PC. I can either drag files across the remote, or, more commonly, plug in a USB drive to the Audio PC, and move files onto the SSD.

I am not aware of a Linux machine that will do that as well, but that's probably my ignorance speaking. I know there are many Linux streaming devices.

that sounds great, but that is relying on a remote pc which would require a usb connection to a dac.

the thing that is nice about the Auralic Aries Mini, is that it has analog out not requiring a usb dac.

Will this roon work with the auralic aries mini to allow you to copy files to it and play it?

The JRiver Id can do that:

JRiver Id

Here's a wiki page on the ways you could control it:

Remotes - JRiverWiki

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Anything that runs off of the old squeezebox software can be controlled from a browser. So a Vortexbox, Logitech Touch, etc.

Why must it be controlled from a Windows PC? You can buy an android tablet for really cheap and that will control nearly any music software or standalone server.

Anything that runs off of the old squeezebox software can be controlled from a browser. So a Vortexbox, Logitech Touch, etc.

Why must it be controlled from a Windows PC? You can buy an android tablet for really cheap and that will control nearly any music software or standalone server.

i have android tablet...i just want to control from windows because i spend a lot of time on windows and i never pick up the tablet...also file transfers from android would be a pain. I have all my music library on windows...i just want to have an external device that i can drag and drop from windows.... i read that auralic is working on windows..i was just curious if anything existed already...but i guess not.

Yes, but it would be resampled to 192K.

that might work for the interim.

so using jriver i could control the ID. It does have rca analog out? i didn't see that in the picture in the link you sent...i will look for more pics. I also could select usb out remotely (so i could switch between rca out and usb out from the jriver client).

Correct me if i am wrong, but a UPNP controller is for streaming? i don't want to stream music. I want ability to copy (like drag and drop) files from my pc to the ssd in the remote box and to have control features of the remote box from my pc.

Again, i don't want to stream...i just want to control the remote box with a windows pc. The music will reside on the music box and played from there.

When you mentioned the Aries Mini as being the "exact same thing" you wanted for the "external box", then that's exactly what the Aries Mini is, a UPnP streamer and that's the only way it can play music files, ie, by streaming. That includes when you use the Aries Mini with an internal SSD containing the music files you want it to play. This is because the Aries Mini uses an internal UPnP media server, the Lightning Server, to supply the music files from the internal storage drive to its internal UPnP streaming player, ie, to itself.

Normally, you would use the Auralic supplied UPnP controller, the Lightning DS app, on an iPad or iPhone to select the files from the UPnP media sever for the playlist and control the playback of that playlist on the Aries Mini. However, you specified wanting to have those "control features of the remote box" from your Windows PC. So all that means as far as the Aries Mini is concerned, with it being a UPnP streamer, is to use a UPnP controller application on the Windows PC instead of the Lightning DS (UPnP controller) app on the iDevice.

As far as "ability to copy (like drag and drop) files from my pc to the ssd" in the Aries Mini is concerned, then that is just a very straight forward normal use of basic file 'drag and drop' with Windows own File Explorer application!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-whats-changed-in-file-explorer

This is because Auralic designed the Aries Mini to create a network shared folder on the internal storage drive for you to able to access it over the network from a computer. The Auralic website shows the copying of music to the Aries Mini's internal storage procedure from a Mac computer as an example and of course you can do exactly the same from a Windows computer using File Explorer:

Copy Music to Internal Storage – AURALIC LIMITED

When you say upnp controller, is that the name of a specific program or are you just saying any upnp controller like a dlna server? Can you clarify please?
UPnP controller (aka UPnP control point) is the general term for the application used to control a UPnP streamer. It is not the same as the UPnP/DLNA media server, which provides the music file library for the UPnP streamer to stream the music files from. Examples of UPnP controllers which you can use on Windows for the Aries Mini:

Linn Kazoo (an OpenHome controller, but the Aries supports OpenHome as well as standard UPnP)

eezUPnP

Foobar2000 with the foo_upnp plugin component

JRiver Media Center (via its built-in UPnP controller)

upplay

BubbleUPnP Android app - requires a decent Android emulator for Windows, eg Bluestacks

PS, you told me about minimus dlna software and i used that before to stream dsd music...that worked great thanks for sharing that great tool, but that is not the same thing i want.
I don't know of any "minimus dlna software". Could that have been the excellent MinimServer UPnP media server? Though I don't remember advising you specifically to use it. On another forum, perhaps?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The easiest one to use with Windows is LMS 7.8.1 or 7.9 controlled by the Soundicity app on a windows computer anywhere on the same network. For the audio PC use Squeezelite on any computer on the same network or a Squeezebox Touch or one of the renderer products out there that support LMS. There are many.

LMS all the way

7.9: Drag'n'drop to the web UI / play any file from your computer

Excellent new feature of LMS's Squeezebox controller WebUI. Logitech Media Server development is certainly alive and well.

However, apart from the phrase 'drag & drop', where's the relevance to the OP's requirement of copying or even moving music files stored on a Windows computer to the internal SSD of the networked audio player box?

-- Jo Cox

Excellent new feature of LMS's Squeezebox controller WebUI. Logitech Media Server development is certainly alive and well.

However, apart from the phrase 'drag & drop', where's the relevance to the OP's requirement of copying or even moving music files stored on a Windows computer to the internal SSD of the networked audio player box?

Well, it's not there.

Because?

a) the op has not got one yet.

and

b) if the op is using the computer whilst playing the music

i just want to control from windows because i spend a lot of time on windows

All that is required is LMS on a small form computer (pi or suchlike with a DAC board).

Files can be stored on a separate usb drive, map the drive, no need to even drag and drop.

Or even just keep LMS on the computer, with the files (attached or stored) and use a pi (with dac or spdif of choice) as a player.

Minimal install, minimal cost, excellent functionality (if the last is a proper word,lol.)

Just a suggestion.

atb

Ronnie.

(out for lunch)

that might work for the interim.

so using jriver i could control the ID. It does have rca analog out? i didn't see that in the picture in the link you sent...i will look for more pics. I also could select usb out remotely (so i could switch between rca out and usb out from the jriver client).

Analog out is the 1/8 inch stereo jack. You would use a cable to get to RCA.

Here are the details on the NUC 5CPYH:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5CPYH: Intel® Celeron® Processor Performance

It is possible to switch back and forth. Each output can be a separate zone.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

cebolla>> When you mentioned the Aries Mini as being the "exact same thing"...

ok, so it streams internally...that is fine..thanks for the info. Yes, you mentioned to me minimserver for dsd streaming, and that worked fine but not exactly what i wanted (old account i used when i asked you). I used that to access my files from bluray player and it sounded great, but looking for something different now. What i really want is to be able to control music playing from the pc that i sit at a LOT. This LMS looks good, but i dont think it supports DSD, and looks like it is made to support squeezebox hardware only. I am not really sure what i want. I want the best possible sound with either my current hardware or less than $1K more, and I want to control from windows pc (either pc app or browser). I don't know if the internal dacs on these relatively cheap music boxes will compete with external dacs though? And i know I like DSD from what i have heard so far. The auralic mini seems to have the DSD capability, but not sure it would make sense to invest in a box like that since i just bought a $1K teac ud-503. maybe this roon app connected to a pc would be a good solution for me, but i don't like the idea of paying either $500 for software or annual subscription....MQA seems to be upcoming solution...i have to read more as i am just now starting to read again after a year break from music solutions.

The easiest one to use with Windows is LMS 7.8.1 or 7.9 controlled by the Soundicity app on a windows computer anywhere on the same network. For the audio PC use Squeezelite on any computer on the same network or a Squeezebox Touch or one of the renderer products out there that support LMS. There are many.

this sounds interesting...Squeezelite

looks like that and LMS will do everything i want except for dsd....if i want dsd i can just use the dsd player that comes with my teac.

So, how does this sound..is this feasible?

MUSIC PC with both Squeezlite and TEAC HQ Player running all the time, and connected to my TEAC ud-503

install LMS on my remote pc.

From my remote pc i can play and control the MUSIC PC for all flac files

or

USE HQ PLAYER for playing dsd files locally on MUSIC PC.

and both squeezelite and LMS are free?

I guess if i use squeezelite, i can just do regular copying files from pc to pc....the squeezelite on a windows music pc seems to do the trick for what i want?

this sounds interesting...Squeezelite

looks like that and LMS will do everything i want except for dsd....if i want dsd i can just use the dsd player that comes with my teac.

So, how does this sound..is this feasible?

MUSIC PC with both Squeezlite and TEAC HQ Player running all the time, and connected to my TEAC ud-503

install LMS on my remote pc.

From my remote pc i can play and control the MUSIC PC for all flac files

or

USE HQ PLAYER for playing dsd files locally on MUSIC PC.

and both squeezelite and LMS are free?

LMS 7.9 and DSD

you add this plugin and you can play DSD using LMS over a DSD capable device running Squeezelite

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

LMS 7.9 and DSD

you add this plugin and you can play DSD using LMS over a DSD capable device running Squeezelite

so a windows 10 pc running squeezlite is a dsd capable device? what version of squeezelite ?

so install lms 7.9 on remote pc and then i can play dsd

is there anything wrong at all with that setup? can the audio be improved on or bits is bits, and it would just be depending on my dac and hardware on out...