IGNORED

Would like to digitize some vinyl using my current dac

So I have begun aquiring vinyl, and would like to create some high-res files from it, so that I can listen on-the-go. I figured that I could just select my HRT musicstreamer II as the input device in audacity, plug my phono's RCA leads into it, and presto! But, my dac isn't even shown as an option. Do I need to get a specialized device for this to work, or is there a way to use my current dac? I am running ubuntu linux, but i do have access to windows, if I must.

You will get best results with an external ADC plus a computer. Feed your phono preamp signals to the ADC which digitizes the result and sends it to your computer. So maybe gives us a budget to work with. You can do it awfully well for $200. Maybe a little less.

This would do it. There are other devices of similar price that will do a similarly good job for your purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Interface/dp/B009B15N0Q/ref=pd_cp_267_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A2WQBRX1AKSQ8XF3WBB

Here is a unit made just for your purpose for $79. Haven't used one though some report it gives good results.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus/dp/B000BBGCCI/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1456180364&sr=1-3&keywords=USB+ADC+audio+interface

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You will get best results with an external ADC plus a computer. Feed your phono preamp signals to the ADC which digitizes the result and sends it to your computer. So maybe gives us a budget to work with. You can do it awfully well for $200. Maybe a little less.

This would do it. There are other devices of similar price that will do a similarly good job for your purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Interface/dp/B009B15N0Q/ref=pd_cp_267_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A2WQBRX1AKSQ8XF3WBB

Here is a unit made just for your purpose for $79. Haven't used one though some report it gives good results.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus/dp/B000BBGCCI/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1456180364&sr=1-3&keywords=USB+ADC+audio+interface

At this point, I am trying to do this under $100. I want to avoid buying the music twice, but the price of used cd's ( I listen to alot of old music) makes a large expenditure difficult to justify.

And, I forgot to mention, my receiver does have a phono preamp, as well as rca audio outputs (tape and vcr channels).

Rather than repeat it all... These are my thoughts about digitising vinyl...

Your simplest/cheapest (but lowest quality) option is to connect the output of a phono pre-amp (or tape/VCR output of your receiver) to the line input on your computer via a RCA to 3.5mm cable.

A step up to something like the Focusrite @esldude linked to would be an improvement or at a lower cost Berhinger UCA202 should offer improvement depending on your PC ... from there the sky is (almost literally) the limit depending on your expectations of quality and your budget.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rather than repeat it all... These are my thoughts about digitising vinyl...

Your simplest/cheapest (but lowest quality) option is to connect the output of a phono pre-amp (or tape/VCR output of your receiver) to the line input on your computer via a RCA to 3.5mm cable.

A step up to something like the Focusrite @esldude linked to would be an improvement or at a lower cost Berhinger UCA202 should offer improvement depending on your PC ... from there the sky is (almost literally) the limit depending on your expectations of quality and your budget.

Considering that my laptop lacks a 3.5mm input jack, I'll just have to go with something along the lines of the aforemtntioned usb devices. Thanks guys.