IGNORED

Ceiling panels installed...what have I been waiting for?!

tboooe

Hello

A very, very interesting thread. Thanks all for these valuable inputs (and links) when it comes to room treating.

I am fighting with a slightly other case: my appartment is on 3. floor. The problem is that the neighbour on 2. floor hears nothing from my music exept the bass like boom boom (depending on kind of music).

First of all I want to understand the matter. The appartments are very well isolated and have all the same shape. To make it simple: there are two identical boxes attached upon each other. Both will have the same resonances e.g. roommodes. I think treating the roommodes in one box cannot prevent the other box to get in resonance.

-> i have to change the frequency of resonance in one box.

What do you think of this approach?

All thougts apreciated.

@michaelD: This Black Box, what kind of thing-magic is it? Did you dismantle it and can tell us what is inside? What kind of physics is behind this box: helmholz-resonator or the like?

A very astonishing product.

I am fighting with a slightly other case: my appartment is on 3. floor. The problem is that the neighbour on 2. floor hears nothing from my music exept the bass like boom boom (depending on kind of music).

I used to have exactly the same problem, I am in a level 2 apartment and the neighbours underneath me had to put up with bass from my music, even at less than normal listening levels.

Have a look at isolating your speakers from the floor. Barry Diament used to post a lot about isolating (floating) speakers and certain components on this forum.

If you have a look at the photo in post 12 in this thread, you will see my speakers are on Townshend Speaker Bars which effectively float the speakers, they move both vertically & horizontally with a push of your finger. Townshend, Diament & others who promote this methodology will tell you that it will benefit the SQ and I guess it does (subjective) but the biggest benefit for me wasn't subjective at all - it stopped my neighbour problem dead in it's tracks, they never hear my music any more.

The Townshend bars are ridiculously expensive, even more so now than when I got them. There are other (cheaper) ways to achieve this type of isolation so do some Google research.

BTW - if you have small children or large(ish) pets running around, it might not be such a good idea :)

@michaelD: This Black Box, what kind of thing-magic is it? Did you dismantle it and can tell us what is inside? What kind of physics is behind this box: helmholz-resonator or the like?

A very astonishing product.

Not sure what's in it but when you shake it there kind of a resonance feel to it. I have not opened it either. All I know it works and looks a lot better then the big old bass traps.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

I used to live in an apartment and Townshend Speaker Stands fixed a similar problem for me. Kept using them after moving to a house on acres (yay ! No worries about disturbing neighbors) as I did find they improved sound quality of my system, actually a bigger upgrade than moving up the range of Focal speakers (from Electra BE to Utopia BE). Townshend products are extremely expensive... Though they are also very effective. The Speaker Stands have been the 2nd best tweak for my system (the first being power products like Balanced Power supplies and LPS).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

I can see from the photographs that your room is quite small so the influence of wall reflections on the sound you hear is quite strong, much stronger than in huge rooms. But I can bet that this is not the ceiling sound reflection that is the strongest but the one coming from the side walls. Compare the distance from the speaker to the ceiling with the speakers-side walls distance. The photos suggest it's 40-60 cm (?). Use mirror to place the panels correctly - you should see the speakers from your listening 'hot spot' and the panels should be placed where the mirror placed on the wall is when you see each speaker. Unless you play snooker - then you won't need the mirror - imagine playing cue ball from your listening position towards each speaker after it hits the wall. The wall hitting area is the right spot for the panel :). The sound absorbing panels will work best according to my experience. They will improve overall smoothness, detail and stereo imaging beyond belief. I've made lots of sound adaptations of listening rooms and I'm pretty sure you will appreciate the changes the side panels will bring.