IGNORED

Ceiling panels installed...what have I been waiting for?!

tboooe

Interesting thread. I really need to treat my room. Some ceiling absorption panels are much needed at the first reflection point. Maybe some bass traps as well. I would really like to get my RT60 below 0.4

I am looking mainly at GIK and Rivasono. But Vicoustic also looks interesting, real traps are too expensive in Europe.

[br]

Alaric - Have you remeasured the room post acoustic treatment? If so, how did it measure out?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

• 1 month later...
Excellent - thanks!

I was wondering what the best non-permanent way to add panels to the ceiling would be.

As I said, I have the cinema rounds on my front & rear walls. I also use the command strips but in this application I only use the hook half of the velcro that holds just the small section of fabric that folds around to the rear of the panels. I first tried this as a temporary measure but they have been up for over 2 years and haven't even looked like falling off. Of course this would not work on the ceiling as it depends on gravity to grab the hook pile.

Here's a pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24379[/ATTACH]

where do you buy those at? are those b&w 800 series?

Your room looks very close to what i hope to have "some day".

i read somewhere, once upon a time, though that the speakers should be on the narrow wall? I also won't have a sliding window in my room, so that may be the reason?

i read somewhere, once upon a time, though that the speakers should be on the narrow wall? I also won't have a sliding window in my room, so that may be the reason?

To clarify, where did you buy the "cinema rounds"? I wasn't asking where you bought the B&Ws.

To clarify, where did you buy the "cinema rounds"? I wasn't asking where you bought the B&Ws.

Where are you located? If in the US, you can buy direct from Vicoustic.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1. Bought the panels from a local HiFi dealer here in OZ (Perth), the panels on the rear wall make a BIG difference to tighten up mids & highs.
  2. Yes they are 803 Diamonds
  3. Thanks!
  4. Yep - the entrance to the balcony doesn't give me a lot of choice. Ideally, the speakers should be firing down the room, particularly to try and avoid nulls and peaks in the lower frequencies that can be problematic with the rear wall being too close. The advantage of using the long wall is avoiding side wall reflections, so I guess there are pros & cons to both short and long wall placement. I've done a lot of work on identifying where the main LF null is and placing the listening position away from it. The null is approx. 1 to 2 feet behind my listening position and occurs at around 70-80Hz, not a good spot for kick drum impact. ;) Conversely, within a couple of feet of the rear wall the bass gets boomy.

BTW - my listening position is now a little further forward than what is shown in that photo.

I realized I could understand the dialog coming from the sound bar now I used to have to switch from surround to stereo to understand what was being said. I put in 8 bass traps and 4 5x4 panels plus two skyline diffusers after reading this thread.

Alaric, do you have any pics of your room setup?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25272[/ATTACH]

It is not set up yet kind of moving then around to hear what sounds best. I have a couple of skylines on the way as well.

Are those Audio Physic speakers?

Also, what brand of bass traps did you go with?

Other components:

Vienna Accoustics, thats what I meant. For some reason I always get VA and Audio Physic speakers confused. Anyway, I have heard the Liszt and think they are great speakers!

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...
My ceiling panels have arrived. I ordered 3. Each is 236*116cm. The size makes it a little difficult to mount them.

In the future I'll most likely also buy some wall panels. But not anytime soon.

Those are pretty big panels. I believe it is best to angle the panels towards the speakers a little.
Those are pretty big panels. I believe it is best to angle the panels towards the speakers a little.

I thought about that as well. But since the panels are in my living room this was not an option.

Haven't had time yet to listen to some music but when I clap my hands the flutter echoes have been reduced.

[br]

untitled.png

I might be going a little overboard with the room treatment experiment. I found some RPG diffractal diffusors in someone's mother's basement so I bought them and got the home and set them up as in the pictures. Do I have them set up right? I have two more I have to figure out what to do with. They are

2ft x4ft x 15 inches deep. It was kinda of neat playing a album and hearing the music change as I am moving these around.

20160429_121308.jpg

20160429_121320.jpg

My living room with panels installed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25686[/ATTACH]

Those big and a pain in the neck to install as I put two up last night. I had to put mine in side ways because of the lights in the ceiling.

Well how did it sound I sure you gave them a try and I do not want to hear about burn in time.

• 2 weeks later...
My living room with panels installed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25686[/ATTACH]

Those big and a pain in the neck to install as I put two up last night. I had to put mine in side ways because of the lights in the ceiling.

Well how did it sound I sure you gave them a try and I do not want to hear about burn in time.

It took 3 people to install them. But I'm not done yet. I need to remove one to install a dinner table lamp.

The sound has improved a lot, especially from voice frequencies and higher. Resulting in a more holographic sound. Less smeared out. If that makes any sense.

Last weekend I had a party. There were about 10 people in my living room chatting. It was much easier to have a conversation without raising your voice.

[br]

My experience has been like many slowly moving to room treatments. Once I got stated I really liked the way they improved the sound. What I went with is RPG BAD ARC which do both absorb and diffuse - seems impossible but they do. So the next step was to do something with bass or bass traps. Personally I think they are ugly and so have avoided them. However I went to Axpona to the Synergistic Research demo of the black box. I really liked what it did and it was so small and unobtrusive. Ended up purchasing two but after experimenting returned one. They have a 30 day return policy so it was great to test then buy. I really like this device its passive - no electrical nothing to attach. You can move it in seconds to try various locations. I ended up in a corner which makes sense.

My next thing will be the back wall but what was suggested is what Alaric H. has pictured and to me it does not pass the aesthetic test. Probably work just fine just not for me so in the hunt for something else. Also at this point since I have electrostatic speakers and a 9' ceiling I don't think ceiling conditioning will be needed. At any rate the back wall needs to be next from what I have been told.

Black-Box-632.jpg

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI