IGNORED

youtube as a download source

Are any of the audio quality files on youtube wave or flac quality? or still just mp3 resolution?

I would think they have made progress since original days, and i see a lot of videos that are HD and even 4K now...so just curious if they have better audio files now and if so, how can you search for just the hires ones?

The videos are heavily compressed/lossy along with the audio (no lossless).

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

The videos are heavily compressed/lossy along with the audio (no lossless).

Thanks for the info. From what i read it seems like 320kbit/sec is highest available. Is there somewhere on youtube you can see the bitrate or search only for videos that have 320kbit rate? I don't see anywhere on youtube what the audio bit rate is for each video?

Are any of the audio quality files on youtube wave or flac quality? or still just mp3 resolution?

I would think they have made progress since original days, and i see a lot of videos that are HD and even 4K now...so just curious if they have better audio files now and if so, how can you search for just the hires ones?

The highest audio quality available on both VEVO and Youtube is .aac 187 Kilobits/second. This is obtained in conjunction with 1280 video. To me, it sounds far worse than RB CD.

If you use a free Windows downloader such as Freemake Video Downloader, you will get a choice of the various video resolutions, even as high as 4K occasionally, and the available audio bitrate is shown along with the selected video resolution.

The video that the attached was obtained from , is possibly one of the highest picture quality video clips you will see in 1080 on Youtube, however it is an R Rated Clip.

zRhATp.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I've downloaded YouTube videos with Replay Media Catcher and then extracted the audio with QuickTime Pro.

The highest bitrate I have come across is 256 Kbps and most are 128 or 192.

Was this recently, because currently, VEVO and Youtube videos use mp4 video with .aac audio.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

There are other ways to get high quality downloads if that's what you're after.

Such as Usenet perhaps ?

thanks....i have windows, but this post prompted to google and find a utility to tell me the media info for the mp4s i downloaded...yea, they all are 192kbs

Is the downloaded format .aac audio ? The 187KB/s that I quoted for 1280 videos is almost the same as 192 which is certainly nothing to write home about.

Some of the music videos found with Usenet are from U.S.A. Late Night shows, and from the actual transport streams with DD5.1 Audio and can sound fabulous. Using Usenet you can even find a series of DTS music Video Demo discs for dealers in Bluray format, where the content isn't encrypted, and there can be >25 high quality 1920 x 1080 videos with multi channel DTS on each 25GB disc.

Is the downloaded format .aac audio ? The 187KB/s that I quoted for 1280 videos is almost the same as 192 which is certainly nothing to write home about.

Some of the music videos found with Usenet are from U.S.A. Late Night shows, and from the actual transport streams with DD5.1 Audio and can sound fabulous. Using Usenet you can even find a series of DTS music Video Demo discs for dealers in Bluray format, where the content isn't encrypted, and there can be >25 high quality 1920 x 1080 videos with multi channel DTS on each 25GB disc.

yea, 192kbs aac. i used to be big on torrents, but haven't in a long time, and don't really want big humongous files...i was just hoping that youtube was allowing lossless by now...oh well.

adele.gif

Ok I will say it, I enjoy watching YouTube a lot and more often than not the sound quality is decent enough that I actually enjoy it. A caveat is that I normally watch HD content and audio is a little better. I don't care about numbers, I think some people in this forum would not even listen to anything below lossless but guess what, others don't care. I especially enjoy the classical concerts from the great orchestras and I like to watch the performers, also I like to watch music videos.