IGNORED

I've never downloaded music before but now that I'm 70 I don't want to be left behind

I am an old dog and I've never downloaded anything but a ringtone and I have a high end audio system and a cocktail audio X40 with a lot of my cds on it. ( I paid a professional company to store them all on my X40 ) I want to find out how to down load some 24bit classical recordings via my macbook pro to place on a usb drive and then to my server. I don't use my network for anything other than home theater movie streaming, I tried to set up my X40 when I got it and failed.

I am assuming that I can then insert my usb drive with downloaded files directly into into my X40 music server and listen to them or have the X40 store them. I am not technically inclined and I am hoping that this is easier than I suspect.

It is not easy to find how to's for the beginner because I am below a beginner and novice, any articles or how to's

would be appreciated sooooooo much,

thanks,

Keith

I am an old dog and I've never downloaded anything but a ringtone and I have a high end audio system and a cocktail audio X40 with a lot of my cds on it. ( I paid a professional company to store them all on my X40 ) I want to find out how to down load some 24bit classical recordings via my macbook pro to place on a usb drive and then to my server. I don't use my network for anything other than home theater movie streaming, I tried to set up my X40 when I got it and failed.

I am assuming that I can then insert my usb drive with downloaded files directly into into my X40 music server and listen to them or have the X40 store them. I am not technically inclined and I am hoping that this is easier than I suspect.

It is not easy to find how to's for the beginner because I am below a beginner and novice, any articles or how to's

would be appreciated sooooooo much,

thanks,

Keith

The music download sites usually have a link to a "How to" section. Each site is a bit different: some have you download a zip file directly, some use a download manager that you have to first install. Do you know what and where you want to purchase from? If you are downloading Zip files, I would recommend using an "unpacking" application like Stuffit Expander (free download) to unzip the file. You will also have to set up an account with the sites of interest but first start by checking out the websites for download instructions. Come back here if you have specific questions. Do you have a decent download speed from your ISP?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

thank you for responding to my question, at least I have a starting point now. I am assuming If I can get flac files onto my computer them I can transfer them either to a small portable drive or a flash usb drive, one question at time, thanks for taking the time to respond,

Keith

Do make a backup of the data on the X40. It will come in handy if the Cocktail Audio ever crashes and data retrieval becomes an issue.

2 backups on external HDDs is a good starting point.

Coming to the downloaded files, I'd simply add them to the X40 (unless you are running out of space) and also add them to the backup HDDs.

To add the files to the X40 you might need an app or a software that will import files (most closed systems work that way and don't give you the option of copying files directly). I'm sure Cocktail Audio will have help and FAQ that will walk you through the process.

BTW, you should also hit up Cocktail Audio support or their FAQ/help files for server/streaming functionality. It has UPnP Media Server & Renderer functionality so there should not be any issues making it a part of the home network.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Do make a backup of the data on the X40. It will come in handy if the Cocktail Audio ever crashes and data retrieval becomes an issue.

2 backups on external HDDs is a good starting point.

Coming to the downloaded files, I'd simply add them to the X40 (unless you are running out of space) and also add them to the backup HDDs.

To add the files to the X40 you might need an app or a software that will import files (most closed systems work that way and don't give you the option of copying files directly). I'm sure Cocktail Audio will have help and FAQ that will walk you through the process.

BTW, you should also hit up Cocktail Audio support or their FAQ/help files for server/streaming functionality. It has UPnP Media Server & Renderer functionality so there should not be any issues making it a part of the home network.

I went through the supposed set up and I never got myX40 to recognize my network, have no clue why. Since all my cds were already stored I thought I could get away like it is. I am70 and have been muddling my way through the whole tech thing with a wing and a prayer. I am savvy to an extend, I have 5 Bridge routers in my house to make getting a signal from my base esier. If I would have been younger when I started things might be different. I did manage to patent a cable technology that a high end company wants to license from me because it is much better than anthing they have according to them, and they shall remain nameless at present.

So laughably I have a high end system capable of extremely acurrate and detailed sound if I could only do this.

If anybody close to San Francsco wanted to help me for pay or barter, I would be extremely grateful. I live in daly city

and my system has to be heard to be believed, Everything I do with tech stumps me for the stupidest reasons. I could really help someone who helps me, cash or barter. One

listen and you can't go back,

Keith

pm me or use my email to get more info. I have discovered the magic holy grail of cables, NO JOKE

The good thing about Computer Audio is that line between "not knowing" and "knowing" is very fine. You just have to do whatever you want just once and then you know. Don't worry about making a mistake. It's a computer - someone can eventually fix it.

1. Start by browsing to the album of your choice

2. Make sure you choose the resolution of the files (16/44.1, 24/96, DSD etc)

3. In general websites have a "Download" button that takes you to a payment gateway.

4. After you make your payment you are then given a link to the download area.

5. Click on the download link and the file should start downloading.

Hope this helps!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

all of the help that I get is a blessing, most are too busy to help a total stranger but then we are not strangers since

we have something in common, freinds that have not yet met?

Keith

I went through the supposed set up and I never got myX40 to recognize my network, have no clue why. Since all my cds were already stored I thought I could get away like it is. I am70 and have been muddling my way through the whole tech thing with a wing and a prayer. I am savvy to an extend, I have 5 Bridge routers in my house to make getting a signal from my base esier. If I would have been younger when I started things might be different. I did manage to patent a cable technology that a high end company wants to license from me because it is much better than anthing they have according to them, and they shall remain nameless at present.

So laughably I have a high end system capable of extremely acurrate and detailed sound if I could only do this.

If anybody close to San Francsco wanted to help me for pay or barter, I would be extremely grateful. I live in daly city

and my system has to be heard to be believed, Everything I do with tech stumps me for the stupidest reasons. I could really help someone who helps me, cash or barter. One

listen and you can't go back,

pm me or use my email to get more info. I have discovered the magic holy grail of cables, NO JOKE

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't worry..........we don't leave our own behind............

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain