IGNORED

Synology v FreeNAS

As are most of us I am sure, I often think about the integrity of my backups, which leads often to the allure of ZFS file systems and then to FreeNAS. What has kept me away from FreeNAS is my very limited knowledge of how to operate a NAS. I own an ioSafe 1515+ which is a Synology 1515+ inside a fire and water proof box. It operates Synology Disk Station Manager which I am able to learn and understand. I don't think it can operate and run with the ZFS filesystem however. I also don't much like the thought of moving my data offsite, considering the contents of some of it.

Does anyone here run FreeNAS, how easy or difficult would it be to learn for a complete noob (me)? Is this thing a good price and value for money? How much RAM would this thing need realistically to run with the maximum amount of storage and the ZFS file system? if I backed it up to the fire and water proof ioSafe would those backups retain the data integrity of the FreeNAS and ZFS combination?

Amazon.com: FreeNAS Mini - Network Attached Storage (24TB): Computers & Accessories

ioSafe 1515+

No electron left behind.

I think you can use BTRFS with your synology. While I haven't used BTRFS (rather ZFS) my good understanding is that they are largely equivalent. You may need to backup the Synology. Convert the underlying filesystem to BTRFS and then restore the data.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I think you can use BTRFS with your synology. While I haven't used BTRFS (rather ZFS) my good understanding is that they are largely equivalent. You may need to backup the Synology. Convert the underlying filesystem to BTRFS and then restore the data.

A quick check shows that Synology Disk Station Manager does support btrfs (which I did not know about) but not on my device until DSM 6.0 comes out from Beta.

No electron left behind.

Well over a year ago I built a NAS using an open source OS with a ZFS filesystem, with redundant boot drives, RAID-Z3 (3 redundant drives in the pool), registered ECC memory, etc. Not for the faint of heart technically nor inexpensive but lightning fast and expandable and could easily support a medium size office, in other words gross overkill. If you're a newbie you might stick with a readybuilt solution instead of getting bogged down, Synology and QNAP being two such brands.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

A quick check shows that Synology Disk Station Manager does support btrfs (which I did not know about) but not on my device until DSM 6.0 comes out from Beta.

I think if you want to learn FreeNAS on a spare machine, its free:) (use this for learning)

Ubuntu can use easily ZFS and the upcoming 16.04 will have ZFS installed by default.

ZFS automatically uses spare RAM as cache, so having a few spare GB is helpful.

At its most basic, a NAS is no more than a computer which provides access to files over the network. In Windows you can share a directory. In Linux you can run the "smbd" service.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

What UPnP/DLNA media servers can be run on FreeNAS? Can MinimServer be installed on it?

Yes, MinimServer can be installed on FreeNAS (haven't tried it myself though).

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Hi all ,

just like to throw in the free community based Open Media Vault NAS-software. One can use ZFS via plug-in (and without ECC memory) and it is basically focused on media services for home users (Plex, kodi etc). Minimserver can be installed, too.

Voilà, some useful links:

OMV:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/install-open-media-vault-nas/

ZFS

http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/7633-HOWTO-Instal-ZFS-Plugin-use-ZFS-on-OMV/

Minimserver

http://minimserver.com/install-linux-mserver.html

Until now I use an Unraid NAS , but I am waiting for the new HD's to arrive next week for building my OMV NAS. For myself, I am not sure, if ZFS will be the route to go.

Tom