IGNORED

Dynamic Decompression?

miguelito

I've asked this in the past but never got a clear answer so here goes again...

Is there any software/filter/etc that would on-the-fly (preferred) or offline allow me to undo dynamic compression? Is this at all possible really? Obviously the distortion coming from this compression cannot be removed...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Here is a good example of a multi band compressor. If you watch the video you can get an idea of what happens and how difficult it would be to roll that back unless you have the original recording stems and software.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-mb-multiband-compressor-plug-in

In addition, there are many hardware compressors used that change sound in the analog domain, which would be impossible to roll back.

I found one, after doing some searching on this. I was wondering the same, some music is so compressed or clipped it's almost unlistenable, so why not try to decompress it a bit. And there is one that does an impressive job, 'perfect declipper'. It can declip and 'restore' some of the natural dynamics. There is a free plug in that has some peeps and advertisement every minute or so, but I was able to use it with Foobar. The results are quit interesting. I haven't tried it yet with the Red hot chili peppers' Californication or Jagged little pill from Alanis Morisette, to name some great but horribly mastered music. There are a lot of options to try, it's fun and worth the try.

I would LOVE to find such a device/program that worked!!!

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Is there any software/filter/etc that would on-the-fly (preferred) or offline allow me to undo dynamic compression? Is this at all possible really? Obviously the distortion coming from this compression cannot be removed...

There are plugins, for studio use, such as

Avid | Pro Expander

Most multi-track recording software bundles contain some kind of compressor/expander.

More commonly called and used as noise gates. Typical use case are for example drum microphone channels, to cut out background music and noise when drum is not being hit. Noise gate has some input threshold where it opens. Expander has more gentle curve. Expander has inverse input-vs-output gain slope compared to compressor.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thx guys... Will try ...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Stereotool has a couple of modules that try to ameliorate the effects of loudness-wars-mastering: Natural dynamics and Declipper (same as Perfect Declipper mentioned in previous post). It works live/on the fly as a VST plugin (Windows or OS X) or standalone application that you route audio to using JACK (OS X or GNU/Linux).

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)