IGNORED

safari issue

This isn't exactly audio related, but I think is OK for this General Forum since it's site related. I just recently bought a Macbook Pro (and am liking it a lot) that of course has the lastest versions of everything - OS X Leopard and Safari 3.1 - and occasionally when I'm surfing around with Safari I get a "Safari can't open the page - cannot decode raw data" message. If I clear the cache and history it usually fixes it, but that's annoying. I thought I'd ask our Mac power users here for possible solutions, and Chris, I thought you'd like to know because it happens somewhat frequently when I come to CA. It happens usually after I've been in the site for a bit and then try to page back or go to a new page within CA. I've perused the apple support groups and see similar complaints (apparently happens a lot with people surfing ebay), but no solutions. Thanks

TheOtherTim

I've got an MBP too, 6 mo. old and bought new with Tiger installed. Upgraded to Leopard after the 10.5.2 upgrade hit. My Safari is the same(?) 3.1.1 version as yours. I don't see this problem on mine, and I am using it all the time. There was a recent Safari upgrade (to the x.x.1 I believe), about a week ago. There was also a major Leopard upgrade that fixed some underlying issues in the OS that happened about a month ago. There was a very long download and an odd reboot process required in that last upgrade. - you probably don't have either of these on your machine. I didn't see this problem before the upgrade either though. Have you run "Software Update" since you bought the machine? I'd recommend that you do if you haven't. There have been a large number of security and performance upgrades in the last two months or so - that 'could' be the solution.

Alternatively, do you have another web browser installed on your machine? It could be a conflict.

About the only issue I see with my Safari is that it just crashes occasionally, requiring a restart of the browser and nothing else.

markr

edit: I just remembered: about 2 months back, I was having very slow browser updates, slow webpage loading and error messages accessing pages, both on the Mac (using airport extreme) and on my hardwired to the net PC as well. Also my VOIP phone's incoming audio was starting to become garbled as well. A call to my friend in Tech support at Time Warner Cable here, netted a response from him that my ISP connection was 'dropping data packets' he pinged my IP address with - even with the cable modem disconnected from the house's networks. I needed a new cable modem. That could be it too!

Hi guys - Thanks for posting this on the forum here. Another CA reader contacted me a while back with the same exact issue. Although I can't reproduce the problem in Safari, I can reproduce it using the OmniWeb browser. Thankfully this does happen on plenty of other sites so it's not just a CA issue. Phew!! Last time I researched the issue I had the same luck as Tim. Many people with the problem but no fixes. Hopefully Leopard 10.5.3 will finally be released and fix the issue. But, I'm not satisfied with waiting so I will get back on the trail and hopefully come up with something. In the mean time Firefox and Camino work just fine.

Here is a screenshot of the error I receive in OmniWeb 5.7 (v621.0.99313)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I just cleared history, cache, and cookies and went to a dozen or so places in the site, via direct link and paging back and forward and, although it may be too early to claim complete victory, so far it seems like you've fixed the problem! I'll let you know if it happens again, but hopefully not. Based on what you did, any ideas or recommendations as to what we might do in Safari to avoid the problem on other sites?

TheOtherTim

Thanks for checking Tim.

The issue has to do with GZIP compression which is enabled on individual sites and/or web servers. For now I disabled the features using GZIP which may slow things down a bit, but we'll see.

On the Safari side of things I don't know of any easy fix. Clearing cache and cookies often or not allowing cookies is not really a fix rather it is disabling functionality.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png