IGNORED

HD Plex 100w vs 300w?

jumper

I'm contemplating linear power supplies for my upcoming server build. I'm putting together a low powered mini ITX system. I plan to use separate SSD for OS and music along with some type of PCIe interface card (SOTM, etc). In looking at HD Plex I can select from the 300w ATX or 100w + 250w dc/atx converter. Larry at HD Plex suggested the 100w would work well but the 300w could yield better SQ due to more headroom and eliminating the internal converter. I'd be interested in opinions between these two PSU's. Power supply is the area I don't want to compromise but I also don't want to throw away money.

I am actually moving away from lps + HDPlex 250W DC ATX to just the HDPlex 300W lps to power my audio pc directly. I should be getting it in another week or so. When I do I can compare. My logic for making the change is that I feel like I am "wasting" the quality of the lps power since it has to be converted by the internal switch mode DC ATX anyway. I know the HDPlex 250W DC ATX is supposed to be high quality but at the end of the day its still a smps.

You could still get the HDPlex 100W lps and 250W ATX. Use the 19V of the 100W lps to supply 19V to the 250W ATX. Then use the 12V and 5V of the 100W lps and power the motherboard and SSD directly. You can also power a USB card as well with the adjustable output. This gives you a solution that is in between the two mentioned above.

I'm contemplating linear power supplies for my upcoming server build. I'm putting together a low powered mini ITX system. I plan to use separate SSD for OS and music along with some type of PCIe interface card (SOTM, etc). In looking at HD Plex I can select from the 300w ATX or 100w + 250w dc/atx converter. Larry at HD Plex suggested the 100w would work well but the 300w could yield better SQ due to more headroom and eliminating the internal converter. I'd be interested in opinions between these two PSU's. Power supply is the area I don't want to compromise but I also don't want to throw away money.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks - well I look forward to any comparison you can make. I think I may just go for the 300w, I too am not crazy about still have to use the 250w ATX with the 100w LPSU. Evn the extra space in the case is nice. Do you agree the extra headroom should yield some improvement over the 100w?

I am actually moving away from lps + HDPlex 250W DC ATX to just the HDPlex 300W lps to power my audio pc directly. I should be getting it in another week or so. When I do I can compare. My logic for making the change is that I feel like I am "wasting" the quality of the lps power since it has to be converted by the internal switch mode DC ATX anyway. I know the HDPlex 250W DC ATX is supposed to be high quality but at the end of the day its still a smps.

You could still get the HDPlex 100W lps and 250W ATX. Use the 19V of the 100W lps to supply 19V to the 250W ATX. Then use the 12V and 5V of the 100W lps and power the motherboard and SSD directly. You can also power a USB card as well with the adjustable output. This gives you a solution that is in between the two mentioned above.

I don't know if the extra headroom will improve the sound but I do know that ripple increases as the power supply gets closer to its maximum output.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Can't comment on sound, as my HDPlex case just arrived yesterday. I chose the 100w LPS to power the PC and SoTM USB card. If I end up adding a video card for CUDA processing, I would probably upgrade to the 300w one.

Having enough power to startup the PC, and then being a smooth, quiet, PSU is what's important. Removing the switching PSU from inside the case has merit, but I'm not sure how much. I'm sure others will disagree, but we all get to build, listen, and make our own decisions.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Curious, what internal DC PSU are you using? I definitely got an improvement switching to the HDPlex 250W one.

Can't comment on sound, as my HDPlex case just arrived yesterday. I chose the 100w LPS to power the PC and SoTM USB card. If I end up adding a video card for CUDA processing, I would probably upgrade to the 300w one.

Having enough power to startup the PC, and then being a smooth, quiet, PSU is what's important. Removing the switching PSU from inside the case has merit, but I'm not sure how much. I'm sure others will disagree, but we all get to build, listen, and make our own decisions.

Other components:

I ordered the internal 250w as well, as suggested there.

HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input)

I chose an i7-6700 chip (I don't plan to OC it) and 16 gig memory, m.2 SSD for OS, and the SoTM USB card. I will be transferring my existing 1Gig SSD for music file storage. Asus motherboard. I plan to try some HDPlayer conversions to DSD when my new Bryston BDA-3 ever gets here. The old computer is not strong enough for that.

I had the previous HDPlex 3 something case in my build 4-5 years ago. There was no space for add-on cards in that case. Smaller heatsinks prevented higher level processors.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

• 2 months later...

My system is finally booting up and I have installed Win10, Project Lasso, and RoonServer.

I found out the hard way that you can bend the pins of the CPU socket beyond repair if you try hard enough...

I need to get it setup for remote desktop, swap over my Fidelizer license (you are allowed one transfer), and download a trial of HQPlayer. Still a bit to go for trials.

My system is finally booting up and I have installed Win10, Project Lasso, and RoonServer.

I found out the hard way that you can bend the pins of the CPU socket beyond repair if you try hard enough...

I need to get it setup for remote desktop, swap over my Fidelizer license (you are allowed one transfer), and download a trial of HQPlayer. Still a bit to go for trials.

What pins?