IGNORED

How to get HD audio

kiwi2000

Please rank if so inclined in order of preference the method of receiving HD audio from the PC;

1. HDMI input

2. HDMI for video and USB with an intermediary device for audio, i.e. dragonfly, DAC

3. Ethernet connection

4.?

Consider also this signal will be inputting to high quality sources.

What is your preferred « two channel audio » amp, and driving what stereo speakers (other than Klipsch) ?

My equipment list;

JVC RS-40 projector

Da-Lite 96 inch Cinema-Vision fixed screen with Pro trim

Marantz AV-8801 processor

Aragon 8008 2 channel amplifier

Emotiva XPR-5 amplifier

Thorens TD 160B MK2 turntable

SME series 3 tone arm

Audio Technica AT150MLX VM Cartridge

Klipsch RF-7, RC-64 ii, RS-35, KSW-12

SVS PB 13 Ultra subwoofer

OPPO 103 DVD Blu ray player

Gateway PVR system with 1 TB expander

Furman Elite 15 PF I Linear filtering power source

Rotel RQ 970BX phono pre amp

2 Darbee vision visual presence enhancers

Luxman 4 channel amplifier for multi zone playback

Hafler Equalizer for zone use

Dell desk top computer running windows 7 with ASUS HD 5450 graphic card with HDMI output

Lutron Maestro dimmers

GIK acoustic wall treatments 244 and 242 models

Buffalo IR repeater model 350 and IR flashers IR-E1 for home control of audio zones and PVR

Ultra Link cable and wire

I am only considering two channel audio playback and would like the ease of a single HDMI connection. The PC HDMI card is new possibly not configured properly? The A/V receiver does not have a USB input but the Oppo does. So another option is output from the front USB of the PC to the input on the Oppo?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Please rank if so inclined in order of preference the method of receiving HD audio from the PC;

1. HDMI input

2. HDMI for video and USB with an intermediary device for audio, i.e. dragonfly, DAC

3. Ethernet connection

4.?

Consider also this signal will be inputting to high quality sources.

My recommendation stands as HDMI into your Marantz AVR, although I understand your insecurity about the decision. You might wish to go back over Kal Rubinson's reviews of the Marantz and other hi Rez multichannel gear starting here:

Music in the Round | Stereophile.com

I also have a good friend who uses a Marantz 8801 via HDMI with a large hi Rez Mch music collection on NAS. His results are excellent, as are several other friends with Anthem D2V prepros via HDMI. These systems are all in the $50k and up beyond $100k MSRP range.

I do not think you will ever get audio quality comparable to Marantz/HDMI out of a cheap USB DAC like a Dragonfly.

Not sure if the Marantz can accommodate hi Rez from your PC via Ethernet, but I tend to doubt it. Maybe it can be done, but it might involve UPnP, which is quite troublesome from what I hear. Forget separate audio DACs with Ethernet input for now. There are not many, and except for the > $10k NADAC (just reviewed by Kal) I do not perceive any advantage worth considering.

You have the basis of a system that can be an excellent performer, including hi Rez in Mch even, which is the very best sound available. You could rip to your PC Blu-rays or even SACDs using a compatible PS3. But, it can also serve you well for CDs and other sources.

The simplest, least expensive and best sounding way to unlock hi Rez audio delivery from a PC or from your Oppo 103 is via HDMI into your Marantz. You just need to replace your obsolete PC to get it.