IGNORED

Portable DAC recommendation?

I see that you live in the US. If you call The Cable Company, they'll send you some DAC's to demo before you make a commitment. They will also give you some good advice as to what will work best.

Great advice! Thank you.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Apologies to Miggy for the OT post.

I've got a ZX1 that I picked up used in Akihabara and I am considering getting an ZX2 when I'm there again in May but it would nice to hear what you think about the differences in sound quality between the two models.

TIA,

Tom

I listened to a few songs (Bowie, Dire Straits, Led Zeppeling, Metallica...sorry I do not really do Classical/Jazz/Others). Files are FLAC, HiRez Flac and Metallica is DSD. I used Westone UM3X IEMs stock and all dsp turned off on the DAPs. Some quick, very subjective, and subtle impressions:

ZX2 has better instrument separation and is easier to pickup details

ZX1 bass is slightly bloated and more prominent

ZX2 has darker background

ZX2 has slightly less sibilance in cymbals and Mark Knopfler's vocals

Physically the ZX2 is taller, wider, and heavier. The ZX1 is easier to carry at the gym. The big differences though are 1) the ability of the ZX2 to use SD cards...up to 128 GB; the ZX2 does not read the Sandisk 200 GB disk...at least the one I bought (my Android phone does read it though), and 2) it can take a 4-pole(?) TRRS connector. I have silver cables and a TRRS connector on my Westone W40s that makes everything a bit better.

If I do more comparisons I will update with a separate thread.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

the ZX2 does not read the Sandisk 200 GB disk...at least the one I bought (my Android phone does read it though

I am using a Sandisk 200gb microsd card on my ZX2 without any issues.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I listened to a few songs (Bowie, Dire Straits, Led Zeppeling, Metallica...sorry I do not really do Classical/Jazz/Others). Files are FLAC, HiRez Flac and Metallica is DSD. I used Westone UM3X IEMs stock and all dsp turned off on the DAPs. Some quick, very subjective, and subtle impressions:

ZX2 has better instrument separation and is easier to pickup details

ZX1 bass is slightly bloated and more prominent

ZX2 has darker background

ZX2 has slightly less sibilance in cymbals and Mark Knopfler's vocals

Physically the ZX2 is taller, wider, and heavier. The ZX1 is easier to carry at the gym. The big differences though are 1) the ability of the ZX2 to use SD cards...up to 128 GB; the ZX2 does not read the Sandisk 200 GB disk...at least the one I bought (my Android phone does read it though), and 2) it can take a 4-pole(?) TRRS connector. I have silver cables and a TRRS connector on my Westone W40s that makes everything a bit better.

If I do more comparisons I will update with a separate thread.

chris

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate it.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I am using a Sandisk 200gb microsd card on my ZX2 without any issues.

Oooops...I do have a 200GB installed in the NWZX2! I think the first one i tried did not work. I later tried it on my laptop and damn near melted the computer. I think it has a short in the card and not the SD adapter. The second 200GB must have worked and I forgot about it and assumed I had 128 installed.

Thanks for calling me to task.

Chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 4 weeks later...

Miguelito,

Did you ever pick up a DAC?

I did get a Sony WMC-NWH10 and the ZX2 still does NOT transfer DSD to the PHA3 and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference to the stock cable that came with the PHA3 (Sony ZX2 connection to USB micro w/prong).

I am hopeful a ZX3 will come out to allow DSD transfer...but not holding my breath.

Chris

Miguelito,

Did you ever pick up a DAC?

I did get a Sony WMC-NWH10 and the ZX2 still does NOT transfer DSD to the PHA3 and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference to the stock cable that came with the PHA3 (Sony ZX2 connection to USB micro w/prong).

I am hopeful a ZX3 will come out to allow DSD transfer...but not holding my breath.

Chris

Did not... Have been really busy at work.

system pics