IGNORED

Morals of Upsampling

Hi mansr, I just wanted to let you know that everything works fine thanks to the latest Daphile beta I got, together with increasing my ALSA buffering value (from 1ms to 160ms), as per Kimmo's suggestions! That's fine upsampling up to DSD128.

Once I tried to upsample to DSD256, stuttering and dropouts occurred and I am guessing my cpu is not powerful enough to handle it. Doesn't really matter though, as I am in pure audio nirvana!!!

Thank you sooooo much for all your replies and feedback!! I really appreciate it!!! Be well my friend!!

1ms buffer time is indeed very short. For non-interactive applications I there's no reason to go below 100ms.

Note that the DSD modulator in sox is (currently) only optimised for DSD64. Using a higher rate will extend the flat part of the noise floor but won't lower it.

1ms buffer time is indeed very short. For non-interactive applications I there's no reason to go below 100ms.

Note that the DSD modulator in sox is (currently) only optimised for DSD64. Using a higher rate will extend the flat part of the noise floor but won't lower it.

Do you know when there will be optimisation for DSD128 and higher?

Does that mean in terms of sq I should upsample to native DSD68 for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Do you know when there will be optimisation for DSD128 and higher?

Whenever I can be arsed to do it.

Does that mean in terms of sq I should upsample to native DSD68 for now?

Use whatever you think sounds best. DSD128 with the current filter certainly shouldn't sound worse than DSD64. It just won't reach the full potential of a properly tuned filter.

At the end of the day, are we truly searching for the truth or are we trying to find ways to make all recordings suit our personal tastes and ears?

I am less and less dogmatic now and no so worried as before about the "search for the truth".

In fact, if we think about we have very little control about the truth.

There is a lot of "distortions" of a pure musical signal.

It starts at the mic choices. Not sure if people are aware but mics introduce a lot of "coloration" to voices and instruments. The magnitude of changes in sound by the choice of mics is quite dramatic.

Once you accept it it's fine, but if you get to know very well a certain singer and her/his voice live on a acoustic environment, the experience of listening to her/his recording can sound very strange.

Then all ADC impact some how, and the producers choices in mixing and mastering always change the original truth and creates a new "true", or should I say the reference, which is the master recording.

In the end, my opinion is that a "rough" recording needs to stay "rough", because that's the "real" sound for whatever x/y reason this had happened. Am I overthinking this? Or am I thinking wrongly that audiophilia is about the musical truth in each recording, when in essence it may be something else?

I like the full brassy brass sounds of trumpet, and all the textures of the instruments to remain as on record and not rounded. but then we must have a very good system to avoid spitting it at our ears.

Yes, I think maybe you are overthinking because in most causes you are not familiar with the original acoustic live sounds, weather it's a human voice or an instrument...

I also think that audiophile in most cases do not seek for a musical truth; if that was truth, the different high end systems and components would sound very very close and that is not happening at all. Or they would just employ the best solutions, and move away from coloured boxes, compromised crossovers and such...well, compromised solutions are still the mainstream in the audiophile market...

I might take my personal journey to a point where my main concern is that the replay system makes me joy and fun, and not so much that it takes me closer to a place I am not sure where it is, like a moving target.

I think you aren't reading much current events if you think up sampling at home in your own stereo system is of moral concern...

No offence, but I live in Greece and I am fully aware of what's happening in my country and around me. But, one needs to take breaks and think about other things, more personal, sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app