IGNORED

Other headphone recommendations?

Hello everybody! I am new into the audiophile world I always had gaming headsets and after getting tired the crappy plastic build quality, and terrible microphone and just dull and plain sound they produce I decided to venture into actual headphones as I've always loved the sound of quality music. So I want an open-back pair of headphones that are great for gaming, have to be clear and some decent bass to them. So far I have at my home that I ordered from Amazon to trial out, are AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD598SE, and my favorite of the three ( I think so far ) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Limited Edition 250 ohms.

My other option was to trial the AD900x's, as I was told their incredible for gaming and have improved bass over the previous versions. I am looking for something that's just clean sounding, clear and has some kick to it. My 598's bass is incredible I wish my 990's had it, I'm only assuming they don't because their only being powered by a Sound Blaster Z sound card. I'm curious to try out the AKG K7XX that somebody is selling on craigslist I've been in talks with him for awhile, and has offered to bring the price to $180 and he's roughly 30 mintues out of town.

My question to you is, what other headphones do you recommend I try that are similiar to the Beyerdynamic's but possibly slightly easier to drive with similiar bass and or more perhaps. I listen to mostly Hip-hop, rock like Metallica and play First person shooters, I'm also starting to dabble into movies as now they sound a lot better and are much more enjoyable. My budget is $150-200, I can go slightly higher if need be. I enjoy my Q701's a lot for music, but it lacks bass IMO compared to my 598SE's/990 Pros.

Let me know what you guys think!

Hello everybody! I am new into the audiophile world I always had gaming headsets and after getting tired the crappy plastic build quality, and terrible microphone and just dull and plain sound they produce I decided to venture into actual headphones as I've always loved the sound of quality music. So I want an open-back pair of headphones that are great for gaming, have to be clear and some decent bass to them. So far I have at my home that I ordered from Amazon to trial out, are AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD598SE, and my favorite of the three ( I think so far ) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Limited Edition 250 ohms.

My other option was to trial the AD900x's, as I was told their incredible for gaming and have improved bass over the previous versions. I am looking for something that's just clean sounding, clear and has some kick to it. My 598's bass is incredible I wish my 990's had it, I'm only assuming they don't because their only being powered by a Sound Blaster Z sound card. I'm curious to try out the AKG K7XX that somebody is selling on craigslist I've been in talks with him for awhile, and has offered to bring the price to $180 and he's roughly 30 mintues out of town.

My question to you is, what other headphones do you recommend I try that are similiar to the Beyerdynamic's but possibly slightly easier to drive with similiar bass and or more perhaps. I listen to mostly Hip-hop, rock like Metallica and play First person shooters, I'm also starting to dabble into movies as now they sound a lot better and are much more enjoyable. My budget is $150-200, I can go slightly higher if need be. I enjoy my Q701's a lot for music, but it lacks bass IMO compared to my 598SE's/990 Pros.

Let me know what you guys think!

If you really like the Beyerdynamic 990s, you might just try the 32 Ohm version of the same can:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0024NK344

They will be a lot easier to drive than the 250 Ohm version, and should have almost exactly the same sound.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Massdrop is going to drop a "limited edition" red version of the AKG K7XX, starting tomorrow morning (Valentine's Day). They should be the same price as the version in all black ($199.99)

I have a pair and they are an excellent value for the money.

For much less $$$, look into the Sony MDR-7506. I use these without worrying (too much) about losing or breaking them.

Wirecutter review here: click

Good luck!

I second this - it's a great sound. But be sure to buy from an authorized dealer who has a very good rating. I've read about bad experiences some customers have had.

I agree! I am very impressed with them. I am not a big headphone listener but I was looking something that would be more convenient than my vintage Stax. I picked up pair of X2s and find them very enjoyable and very easy to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

As was suggested you could buy the 990 in a different version. Although an amp could/would yield better sound. The 990 is pretty bass heavy, I compare it to a high end car audio system. It's not the most accurate but it's alot of fun. It really shines with gaming, movies, dub step, rap, etc. The 701 is much clearer but has virtually no bass in comparison. The k7xx lands somewhere in between sounding a bit like a 701 paired with a small subwoofer. Think a single 10" not a pair of 15"s like the 990. There really is no right or wrong answer here it's all in what you like. If you're happy with the 990, I'd buy an amp such as the o2 and call it a day.