IGNORED

Audiophiles and the discovery of new physics

wgscott

I guess it is only a matter of time before the first gravitational wave isolation products show up! :)

I have been reading about this all morning, Fascinating, as Spock said!

Jim

Is this a case where pre-ringing occurs in nature?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

They did have to use vacuum tubes. And while the discovery is interesting I want to hear more about the wire they're using to carry signals and data.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I guess it is only a matter of time before the first gravitational wave isolation products show up! :)

I 'm sure Synergistic Research is already working on it. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

My initial thought was Synergistic Research probably already had this it was just proprietary.

Second thought was no one close to those endpoints had one of the SR Atmosphere thingies in operation. It would have damped out the signal I am guessing.

But hey, maybe they used all SR cabling in the experiment.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Yeah, from quantum to relativity - an audio theory of everything, the Synergistic Holistically Inclusive Theory.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For Kip Thorne, it is quite a comeback from the ludicrous scene of Matthew McConaughey shoving books off a shelf on Earth from somewhere in orbit around Saturn in Interstellar.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have been reading about this all morning, Fascinating, as Spock said!

OT - James45974 I notice the Rietveld chair photo. A part-time design instructor of mine in college in late 70's asked me if I could repair two broken chairs - I was making furniture at the time. When I went to fetch them I was pleasantly surprised, they were both very old Rietveld zigzag chairs. And both in bad shape, the glued planks having separated down the length of each. I was well aware of this chair design so I was curious and asked about these. Seeing my excitement she then showed me a cabinet maker's stamp on each and then went on to explain that they were part of the final prototype run for Rietveld himself! I was shocked. She then reminds me her last name is Schroder, as in her mother was Truus Schroder, design confidant and Rietveld's final domestic partner in life. Yep, the part-time Uni instructor teaching design studio drawing technique grew up in the Rietveld Schroder House - arguably his most important work.

David

Rietveld Schröder House | Centraal Museum Utrecht

For Kip Thorne, it is quite a comeback from the ludicrous scene of Matthew McConaughey shoving books off a shelf on Earth from somewhere in orbit around Saturn in Interstellar.

Parsing the Science of Interstellar with Physicist Kip Thorne - Scientific American Blog Network

where he says almost everything in the movie is at least plausible acc'd to known science

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Parsing the Science of Interstellar with Physicist Kip Thorne - Scientific American Blog Network

where he says almost everything in the movie is at least plausible acc'd to known science

Oh, it is. But as a plot point in a movie it is simply ludicrous (that McConaughey's view of space-time probabilities/possibilities from a spatial location orbiting Saturn consists of iterations of the back of a bookcase in a room of his home on Earth decades in the past, with the back of the bookcase and the wall it sits against conveniently not included in this higher dimension, so all he has to do is give the right books a good shove off the shelf and wait for his daughter standing in the room on Earth to figure out the poltergeist is actually her long lost dad and what he's trying to say).

OT - James45974 I notice the Rietveld chair photo. A part-time design instructor of mine in college in late 70's asked me if I could repair two broken chairs - I was making furniture at the time. When I went to fetch them I was pleasantly surprised, they were both very old Rietveld zigzag chairs. And both in bad shape, the glued planks having separated down the length of each. I was well aware of this chair design so I was curious and asked about these. Seeing my excitement she then showed me a cabinet maker's stamp on each and then went on to explain that they were part of the final prototype run for Rietveld himself! I was shocked. She then reminds me her last name is Schroder, as in her mother was Truus Schroder, design confidant and Rietveld's final domestic partner in life. Yep, the part-time Uni instructor teaching design studio drawing technique grew up in the Rietveld Schroder House - arguably his most important work.

David

Rietveld Schröder House | Centraal Museum Utrecht

Thanks David, interesting story! I was in the Netherlands in the mid 80's, never made it to Utrecht. I was traveling with other people and couldn't make the whole trip about architecture! I have always wondered about the structural integrity of the zig zag chair! Don't know if it could support some of today's physiques!

Back on topic, I have been reading about this discovery but have not yet seen any info on how fast the gravitational waves travel, I assume it is the speed of light? Also, how do they know where the waves come from, it seems like they are being very specific about the source and I wonder how that was accomplished.

Jim

This is about my speed as an explanation of gravitational waves and what goes on at LIGO:

PHD Comics: Gravitational Waves Explained

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Back on topic, I have been reading about this discovery but have not yet seen any info on how fast the gravitational waves travel, I assume it is the speed of light?

The Real Meaning of Einstein's Gravitational Waves - The Atlantic

Oh, it is. But as a plot point in a movie it is simply ludicrous (that McConaughey's view of space-time probabilities/possibilities from a spatial location orbiting Saturn consists of iterations of the back of a bookcase in a room of his home on Earth decades in the past, with the back of the bookcase and the wall it sits against conveniently not included in this higher dimension, so all he has to do is give the right books a good shove off the shelf and wait for his daughter standing in the room on Earth to figure out the poltergeist is actually her long lost dad and what he's trying to say).

I agree. Weakest part of the movie. Nearly ruined the entire thing for me.

Thanks Paul, the article had a nice explanation for my question.

I grew up reading this kind of stuff, my father, a Marine in WWII in the south Pacific, never went to college, worked as a machinist at GE, must have been a scientist in a former life because the house was full of magazines with similar kinds of articles. Didn't matter if it was astronomy, biology, geology, etc, it all interested him. We had books by Darwin, Audubon, Luther Burbank, and more, a rather big library. I gave him a copy of Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" for Christmas one year and he devoured it. He had music in his life too, he was a fan of opera! And he was a pretty decent chess player!

Jim

I guess now we have to start worrying more about unification.

I prefer to watch:

Now if a $100k audio room would make her show up, would be worth it, but I think you'd have better luck with a $20k mountain bike :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I prefer to watch:

Now if a $100k audio room would make her show up, would be worth it, but I think you'd have better luck with a $20k mountain bike :)

I own both these books, but have yet to find time to read them. :(