IGNORED

Herbie Hancock Quintet - Tribute to Miles - which one?

Hello,

Anyone know what is the difference with Qobuz offer about this album? There are two of them one is stated that received by Qobuz probably in 2008 and another one is from 1994 (as original release date)? I know that this album was mastered by Bernie, but is it in both cases or been any remasters later on done? There is also significant difference with price. One is saying from Qwest another one with Rhino.

A Tribute To Miles | Herbie Hancock Quintet*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

A Tribute To Miles | Herbie Hancock Quintet*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Maybe other better source is out there for this album?

0603497982998_300.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I've seen this several times on Qobuz; i.e., an album listed twice (or more), same resolution, apparently same mastering, etc., at wildly different pricing.

As an example, the recent 24/192 remastered box set of all the "Star Wars" soundtracks was listed >$100 on most sites. Qobuz had it listed at ~$50 (with their "Sublime" discount), but there was also another listing on the site for, I kid you not, $8. So I got all of the movie soundtracks, remastered to 24/192, for $8.

I have the feeling they have such a vast collection, they get these things from multiple sources, and pricing is largely automated, leading to such issues.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I've seen this several times on Qobuz; i.e., an album listed twice (or more), same resolution, apparently same mastering, etc., at wildly different pricing.

As an example, the recent 24/192 remastered box set of all the "Star Wars" soundtracks was listed >$100 on most sites. Qobuz had it listed at ~$50 (with their "Sublime" discount), but there was also another listing on the site for, I kid you not, $8. So I got all of the movie soundtracks, remastered to 24/192, for $8.

I have the feeling they have such a vast collection, they get these things from multiple sources, and pricing is largely automated, leading to such issues.

Possibly John, so I will go for 6EUR vs. 13EUR ;-) I quite like this album and sound is also not bad as mastered by master like Bernie Grundman.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

This happens quite often on Qobuz, that the same album is available in multiple versions (all in CD quality). For some albums, they use the release date of the CD, for others the date when it's been added to their database.

Just like Amazon has multiple versions of one CD (US pressing, European pressing as import), Qobuz sometimes has the same album from different sources. Maybe Rhino took over the Qwest catalogue.

This album has been recorded digitally in 1992 (i.e. in 16bit), and AFAIK there has never been a remaster.

R-7705702-1447271495-9747.jpeg.jpg

Herbie Hancock | Wayne Shorter | Ron Carter | Wallace Roney | Tony Williams* - A Tribute To Miles at Discogs

I checked the 7digital webstore (which I have never bought from so far, as they mainly sell MP3s), and they have the same two versions, one half the price of the other.

https://lu.7digital.com/search?q=tribute%20to%20miles

Claude

This happens quite often on Qobuz, that the same album is available in multiple versions (all in CD quality). For some albums, they use the release date of the CD, for others the date when it's been added to their database.

Just like Amazon has multiple versions of one CD (US pressing, European pressing as import), Qobuz sometimes has the same album from different sources. Maybe Rhino took over the Qwest catalogue.

This album has been recorded digitally in 1992 (i.e. in 16bit), and AFAIK there has never been a remaster.

R-7705702-1447271495-9747.jpeg.jpg

Herbie Hancock | Wayne Shorter | Ron Carter | Wallace Roney | Tony Williams* - A Tribute To Miles at Discogs

I checked the 7digital webstore (which I have never bought from so far, as they mainly sell MP3s), and they have the same two versions, one half the price of the other.

https://lu.7digital.com/search?q=tribute%20to%20miles

Thanks a lot. Nice music afterwards.

--

Krzysztof Maj