IGNORED

KEF LS50 connected to PC?

I don't own these speakers but would love them for a second system. You would need an amp and a dac (many now being made in one box) to play music from a computer.

Interesting read DAR speculating about an active LS50 which I think would sell boatloads for KEF - not sure if it is really in the works but given the success of the KEF x300a it makes sense for them and people looking for a high quality system for smaller space.

I am looking to purchase hi-fi speakers to connect to my PC. Are the KEF LS50 speakers a good choice or will the quality be reduced by connecting them to a PC? I would need to purchase a DAC in order to connect them to my PC correct?

Hello tmc1284,

I own KEFX300A connected to a Mac Mini but in another room from that Mac Mini. My room is 13x15. The KEFX300A is plenty speaker for that room and then some. Read the reviews. They've been used in rooms much bigger and don't get lost.

I am considering purchasing the LS50 not because I am dissatisfied with the KEFX300A. Rather the LS50 and the KEFX300A are excellent speakers both well reviewed and winners of awards for whatever that means.

If I decide to purchase the LS50, I will go to Wyred4Sound and purchase their integrated mPreamp and mAmps X2. Connect to a PC, well it will need a source and a player, cables, stands, etc.

With the KEFX300A, the decision for Dac and bi-amps are made for you. One can modify them for a subwoofer connection (expensive).

They are not the equivalent of each other. Are you located near a dealer where you can compare them? Room size won't matter for either edition unless you're planing on a large, high vaulted room, and then that might not work. Nothing like hearing before you buy if that practical. Different price points and equipment needed to outfit. Figure on at least 5X the cost for the LS50.

Have you contacted KEFDirect.com for any help along the way? They might be helpful.

Best,

Richard

I am looking to purchase hi-fi speakers to connect to my PC. Are the KEF LS50 speakers a good choice or will the quality be reduced by connecting them to a PC? I would need to purchase a DAC in order to connect them to my PC correct?

tmc1284, You can see my desktop system in my signature. IMO, the LS50's make a great desktop speaker and have them on IsoAcoustic stands. The concentric woofer/tweeter makes for a very coherent nearfield experience. I have them hooked up via a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC and Parasound Halo integrated amp. Prior to the Parasound I had a NAD C 356BEE integrated which was a good match as well, but the Parasound has a little more power for the somewhat power hungry LS50's. Their sensitivity is 85dB, and nominal impedance is 8Ω but drops as low as 3.2Ω.

"If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul" - Albert King

tmc1284, You can see my desktop system in my signature. IMO, the LS50's make a great desktop speaker and have them on IsoAcoustic stands. The concentric woofer/tweeter makes for a very coherent nearfield experience. I have them hooked up via a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC and Parasound Halo integrated amp. Prior to the Parasound I had a NAD C 356BEE integrated which was a good match as well, but the Parasound has a little more power for the somewhat power hungry LS50's. Their sensitivity is 85dB, and nominal impedance is 8Ω but drops as low as 3.2Ω.

Hi, i also owned a pair of X300A and planning to buy a set of ISO acoustics stand. May I know which model you had bought? they have one with plastic and one with metal..

Hi, i also owned a pair of X300A and planning to buy a set of ISO acoustics stand. May I know which model you had bought? they have one with plastic and one with metal..

I have the plastic IsoAcoustic stands using the long rods which brings the concentric tweeter/woofer to ear level on my 5' x 3' desktop in a nearfield equilateral placement. I like them a lot. What sold me on them was a YouTube video from IsoAcoustics at Metalworks recording studio.

I haven't read any reviews of the metal vs plastic IsoAcoustics, so I'm unable to give you any input on the differences, if any, between them.

Enjoy the music!

"If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul" - Albert King