IGNORED

USB: Can someone explain the "goodness" in series/combinations

sdolezalek

I'm seeing more and more posts about two Regens in series, a Regen combined with an Intona, combinations of Dragonflies and Regens, etc. Is there a reason why these units cannot achieve their full potential without being in combination? I have seen less of this with the iUSB3.0 or the RUR unit, but I'm sure people are trying those in combination as well.

Makes little sense that you'd want to re-clock twice. Noise reduction? Maybe, but why not max it out in a single unit? Besides, each unit adds yet another power supply and its potential for injecting noise.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I'm seeing more and more posts about two Regens in series, a Regen combined with an Intona, combinations of Dragonflies and Regens, etc. Is there a reason why these units cannot achieve their full potential without being in combination? I have seen less of this with the iUSB3.0 or the RUR unit, but I'm sure people are trying those in combination as well.

Makes little sense that you'd want to re-clock twice. Noise reduction? Maybe, but why not max it out in a single unit? Besides, each unit adds yet another power supply and its potential for injecting noise.

A good question. In many cases they appear to be sharing the same PSU for both Regens too, which may not always be a good idea, depending very much on the quality of the actual PSU.

Separate battery supplies for each may give better results ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I found no improvement when I cascaded two REGEN Ambers with my system/ears. The upstream unit used the SMPS, and the downstream one was JS-2 powered. Curious Cable REGEN links were the output USB cables. Mapleshade Clearlink Plus was the input from Mac Mini to the upstream REGEN. No hard adapter.

John and Alex can provide a possible explanation why some believe that they hear improvements. You either will or you won't.

I do enjoy the equipment options and the tweaky fiddle-about-ness of this hobby, but I also see no need to add something that makes zero improvement. Now back to one REGEN CC in and out.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

The real answer is "nobody knows".

One possible explanation:

the REGEN is a hub chip, as such it has both receivers and transmitters running at the same time. The receiver getting the data from the host will generate some power/ground (PG) noise which will slightly increase the noise/jitter of the transmitted data. By using two the receiver in the second unit is getting much cleaner signal so may be generating less PG noise affecting its transmitter to a lesser degree.

An Intona is a different class since it is an isolator, whereas the REGEN is not. Cutting out ground noise from the source etc is almost always a good thing. The Intona is probably not as well optimized for low noise performance as the REGEN, putting them together gives you the benefit of both.

As to the RUR, I don't know, I don't know anything about what is in there so I cannot make any guess as to what might be happening.

Please note that the above is all conjecture and something else altogether may be happening.

John S.

Thanks John. Really appreciate the honest and straightforward answer. I think we are all excited about the fact that you seem to be making real improvements to the signal chain for USB DACs, but perhaps we are still too early in this learning curve to fully understand all the ways in which that USB signal path might be improved. I too know very little about the RUR works and it would be great to get some input from EJ Sarmento about what he thinks the key elements are vis-a-vis reclocking, isolation, noise elimination, etc.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I should update my own last post. From reading another thread here, I understand that Richard (REShaman) was kind enough to ask EJ to comment on what's going on inside the RUR and EJ declined. So what the RUR does can be heard by trying it in your system, but shall for the moment remain a mystery. Nonetheless it would also be interesting to hear from Daniel at Intona or from the AMR folks behind the iUSB3.0 what they regard as the critical elements of improving on a USB signal as a last step just before it reaches the DAC.