IGNORED

Peter Gabriel writes... "What's the point of music" (web link)

Audio_ELF

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Eloise, I found the article interesting. Peter Gabriel is one of my longtime favorites music artists, and one of the few people I consider to bring genius to modern day music. I was also looking forward to getting tickets to his upcoming tour with Sting, but sadly, not at $250.00 a ticket. I try my best to support those whose music really maters to me, but seriously, with dinner before, and parking, that's essentially a $600.00 evening!

JC

Thanks for sharing Eloise [emoji846]

----

"Hegel argued that music is so necessary because it rehearses in the language of the body concepts and truths we are in danger of losing touch with when they reach us only through our rational faculties. Music is, he said, “the sensuous presentation of the crucial ideas”"

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Thanks Eloise, I found the article interesting. Peter Gabriel is one of my longtime favorites music artists, and one of the few people I consider to bring genius to modern day music. I was also looking forward to getting tickets to his upcoming tour with Sting, but sadly, not at $250.00 a ticket. I try my best to support those whose music really maters to me, but seriously, with dinner before, and parking, that's essentially a $600.00 evening!

JC

I had the same experience with ticket prices for the tour in my area. Not in my budget either, and would really have liked to see that show.

Ok, I would be extremely interested to hear any thoughts that Mr Gabriel has on amusia - the inability to comprehend and respond to music. I ask because - and I don't even like saying this - I used to be extremely musical in my youth, could listen and sing all day and I played, briefly, both the piano and the violin. I even dabbled in composing. Now that I am sixty, a post-menopausal woman (I'm not suggesting causality I'm just giving context), I find that music mostly no longer interests me. I am very language orientated (I write), although I find conversation a struggle. I'm not sure that I think there's anything 'wrong' with me in the musical area as I don't really experience it as a lack. In a sense it almost feels like a maturation - I no longer 'need' music, but I'd also hesitate to elevate it in that way, I'm just saying that it feels like that. More context - I'm a retired psychotherapist and a Buddhist who never meditates (again, I used to)!

hi