IGNORED

Where is a good place to put your offsite storage data?

I believe in keeping two backups to my data. One onsite in the case of drive failure and the other offsite in the case of theft, fire or flood. Until last year I had kept my offsite drive at a relative's house 15 miles away from my own home. That is no longer an option so I'd like to know what others would recommend. Do banks still offer safety deposit boxes? Is this practical? What about an indoor storage facility? Cloud?

I use a Safety Deposit Box and an offsite system halfway across the country myself. Worked out a reciprocal agreement with a friend back home in PA, I host his, he hosts mine.

Storage units have to be air conditioned to protect media and you always have the worry about the unit next door being used as a meth lab these days. (*sigh*)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I use three offsites:

* hard drive in local bank safe deposit box, updated periodically

* hard drive sent to a friend who lives about 800 miles away, updated about once a year

* all my music files uploaded to Amazon Cloud, updated whenever music files are added or changed

Dave, who lives about 3 miles the way the hawk flies from an older nuclear power plant

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Amazon unlimited Cloud storage for 60 bucks a year, plus ExpanDrive to make it extra convenient.

That's on top of two separate external HDDs that hold the music for my main and desktop systems, respectively, and 128GB SD cards (currently 5 being used plus a couple of blank spares) that double as backups and a means of taking all my music with me when I travel.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I keep mine in a fire-resistant safe in my house. If the house burns down to the point that the safe doesn't hold up, I'm going to have bigger problems than replacing my music library and old financial records.

Well, while what you say is certainly true, I think my music library is more irreplaceable than virtually any other objects I own.

Or if not irreplaceable, would take a long time to reconstruct.

I mean, I could replace all of my audio equipment, I could replace my bicycles, furniture, clothing, kitchen goods, even the house itself.

But many of the CDs ripped into the music library are no longer readily available.

Dave, who should also consider his fire-resistant safe too

Amazon unlimited Cloud storage for 60 bucks a year, plus ExpanDrive to make it extra convenient.

Oh, I had not known about ExpanDrive.

How long have you been using it, Jud?

On a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being "perfect software," what grade would you give it?

Dave, who just downloaded it

I keep mine in a fire-resistant safe in my house. If the house burns down to the point that the safe doesn't hold up, I'm going to have bigger problems than replacing my music library and old financial records.

Well, I can see that, so long as you have an inventory to use on the insurance claim. I have some stuff that is pretty much irreplacable, so taking a few extra measures to ensure I don't lose them makes sense for me.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh, I had not known about ExpanDrive.

How long have you been using it, Jud?

On a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being "perfect software," what grade would you give it?

Dave, who just downloaded it

My 10 would include not just perfect, but doing something amazing, preferably for free (to me). :)

ExpanDrive is right there in the next rank, around an 8 or 9, meaning:

- OK, it's not doing something unprecedented or completely amazeballs; but it does give an excellent service (Amazon cloud storage) lacking a really good GUI the latter.

- It does so with complete reliability, at least in my usage.

- It doesn't call any attention to itself. No "Update me!", no "Here's other software from us you may like!" Just sits there and makes the Amazon cloud dead simple to use, showing your cloud storage to you as just another drive, with all the familiar operations like copy, delete, drag and drop, etc.

- So for me an 8 or 9; it Just Works.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 local copies (1 in use, 2 backups) and then 3 cloud services (actually 2 in the cloud like Amazon and 1 web server hosting) all of which auto-sync with any changes.

I also host my own cloud... but this is more for on the go listening and mostly is transcoded on the fly to mp3 320 kbps (unless I'm on Wi-Fi), but technically this could also be called a backup though its only a powered external HDD.

I also have the audio CDs... a little over 2000.

All of this is only for music.

For movies I just have 1 NAS and 1 local backup. No cloud or offsite backups for the Blu-ray rips... though I do have the original Blu-ray discs.

PS: I suppose everything could be bought again... even if all rips were lost and the actual physical media damaged... provided one has the money, the time, and the desire. But the biggest pain (and headache) is having to re-rip everything. I lost nearly 800GB worth of rips once with a HDD crash and it took me 3 months working daily to rip everything and tag everything. Lesson learned... I have multiple local backups and cloud backups now... but only for music, its not really feasible to backup movies in the cloud though.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

My 10 would include not just perfect, but doing something amazing, preferably for free (to me). :)

- OK, it's not doing something unprecedented or completely amazeballs; but it does give an excellent service (Amazon cloud storage) lacking a really good GUI the latter.

- It doesn't call any attention to itself. No "Update me!", no "Here's other software from us you may like!" Just sits there and makes the Amazon cloud dead simple to use, showing your cloud storage to you as just another drive, with all the familiar operations like copy, delete, drag and drop, etc.

If you do not, now, have an Amazon cloud storage account, can you start one up directly from ExpanDrive? Or do you have to first set up an account with Amazon then input the information into ExpanDrive?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

If you do not, now, have an Amazon cloud storage account, can you start one up directly from ExpanDrive? Or do you have to first set up an account with Amazon then input the information into ExpanDrive?

I did the latter. I didn't try to do the former so I'm not sure, though I don't recall seeing a provision to apply for Amazon cloud storage from inside the app.

Is there a reason this would matter?

Thanks Jud. I just downloaded it, installed it, and although I haven't signed up for S3 yet (will do asap, and will then understand the poor GUI issue I guess) I saw it had dropbox interfacing (which I do use). However, dropbox has a local Windows Explorer folder structure already so not sure ExpanDrive helps me there at all.

Question: does it also help with any performance or "offloading" issues, or is it mainly a savior for those cloud services (like S3) that have poor and/or complicated user interfaces?

Thanks Jud. I just downloaded it, installed it, and although I haven't signed up for S3 yet (will do asap, and will then understand the poor GUI issue I guess) ...

Amazon Cloud Drive and Amazon S3 are not the same, which you probably know.

The former is for consumers, and costs a bunch less than S3, for which I just checked out pricing.

Thanks Jud. I just downloaded it, installed it, and although I haven't signed up for S3 yet (will do asap, and will then understand the poor GUI issue I guess) I saw it had dropbox interfacing (which I do use). However, dropbox has a local Windows Explorer folder structure already so not sure ExpanDrive helps me there at all.

Question: does it also help with any performance or "offloading" issues, or is it mainly a savior for those cloud services (like S3) that have poor and/or complicated user interfaces?

It seems to help with performance, but that could be the GUI. (It could show a transaction completed that is in process - I have no idea whether this happens, just thinking of it as a possibility.)

The cloud storage I use is advertised to the public as Amazon photo storage. Not certain, but I'm wondering if there are different financial terms for what they call "S3."

I did the latter. I didn't try to do the former so I'm not sure, though I don't recall seeing a provision to apply for Amazon cloud storage from inside the app.

Is there a reason this would matter?

About a year and half ago I went to Amazon and simply could not figure out the offerings. Perhaps things have changed. It was before the unlimited cloud storage option was introduced.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

It seems to help with performance, but that could be the GUI. (It could show a transaction completed that is in process - I have no idea whether this happens, just thinking of it as a possibility.)

The cloud storage I use is advertised to the public as Amazon photo storage. Not certain, but I'm wondering if there are different financial terms for what they call "S3."

Yes, different.

Amazon Cloud Storage, $60 year unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

S3 was 3 cents per GB for Standard...at least at a quick look...

Sorry for starting all the Amazon cloud confusion (redundant ? :) ). I was shorthanding Amazon as S3 simply cuz that's what we use at Native. I meant the $60 Amazon-for-consumers (aka Amazon Cloud Storage/Drive).

That's on top of two separate external HDDs that hold the music for my main and desktop systems, respectively, and 128GB SD cards (currently 5 being used plus a couple of blank spares) that double as backups and a means of taking all my music with me when I travel.

Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge but is ExpanDrive downloaded to the NAS or to the PC?

Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge but is ExpanDrive downloaded to the NAS or to the PC?

I have it on my MacBook Pro. I don't have a NAS, so someone else would have to tell you if it would work in that situation.

What about using your web host as a backup through an FTP client? I supposedly have unlimited storage for my blog, although I'm not quite sure they mean terabytes of data.

I use it. But only upto a little over 1 TB and its not my primary backup.

Never had any issues and its kept private and not shared (just so I'm not accused of piracy, hosting companies are the most concerned about spam (the most) and then piracy).

That said its hosting I use (for websites) and pay a premium for, around $25 each month.

I still advocate using cloud storage though I've not had any issues with my hosting company either.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther