IGNORED

Pure Vinyl 3... an Amarra alternative

Audio_ELF

I was just browsing and came across a reference to version 3 of he Pure Vinyl software.

Now are many people will know, Pure Vinyl is a piece of software designed for creating digital copies of vinyl records. But it's not this part that I'm interested in here ...

On the main web page they say "Besides being specifically tailored to high quality vinyl playback, Pure Vinyl 3 also functions as a music server, for automated, "jukebox" style playback of tracks from your iTunes music library, including high-resolution downloads, music from CDs, or purchased from iTunes."

If you look at the "Download" page they list the functions of Pure Vinyl 3 (Preview Release) as ...

Pure Vinyl 3 Preview Release 1: pv3pr1.zip (2.4 MB) (March 27, 2009)

Fully functional and tested features in this Preview Release:

Live vinyl play with RIAA correction
    Playback of Pure Vinyl Raw (Flat) Vinyl Recordings
    iTunes Jukebox 64-bit Upsampling Play Mode (New and Much Improved)
    NetSend
    Two-Way Crossover with Improved Time Alignment and Gain Trim Functions
    New features in this Preview Release (compared to 2.3):

Revamped user interface
    Firefly metering bar
    Memory Play of iTunes Tracks
    On-the-fly generation of animated vinyl '45' images for jukebox play
    Pure Vinyl Preview Release 1 can coexist with an existing Pure Vinyl 2.3 installation (which also should be installed to get the most from this Preview Release).

Quite how the interaction with iTunes works I'm still trying to ascertain, but this looks like a possible competitor for Amarra - that is a high end playback engine slaved to iTunes. Pure Vinyl 2.3 costs around $230. Anyone else like to comment?

Eloise

PS. full details from

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I wonder if this is why Amarra have started talking about RIAA compensation in their forthcoming upgrades.

I have to say I find the pure vinyl website a difficult place to navigate through, I did download the software to 'have a go' but I couldn't get further than that.

Pure Vinyl have been one of the real pioneers of Computer Audiophilia with RIAA compensation etc. - so I would expect good performance - something for Chris to investigate?

Regards

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Good point. I would certainly trust Metric Halo's implementation over other more, shall we say, cost limited implementations, but... Amarra will still need to write their own version of RIAA compensation in Amarra software to accommodate all the non Model Four users, at least as I understand it.

Cheers,

clay

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the demo of this for a few weeks now and it appears to be an improvement on itunes. I find it has better bass and is more revealing.

The current version has gapless playback from memory and the choice to either upsample or automatically switch sample rate.

The programme is still buggy but regular updates are being issued. It currently has problems waking from sleep, a problem with the track time when using ipod touch remote and the odd playback issue.

The demo is free to download (no dongle) but look for version 3.

• 2 months later...