IGNORED

Ferrite cores on DC cables?

tboooe

I was just looking at some of my various DC power cables and noticed some of them have ferrite cores. This of course got me thinking if ferrite cores have any positive effect on the sound when used on DC power cables?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I just spent the last week with ferries on all my DC cables ... Removed them tonight and the music sounded better (dynamics,tone,timing).

HDMI cables are the only cable I have found that benefits from ferrite, don't know why.

Moved my psu's (Aries and hdplex ) further away from gear and carefully routed the dc cables away from ac and other types of cables has provided a very subtle benefit, while my dc/ferrite cable test was not a win for me in my system.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

If noise & interference are using a cable as a sneak path to get into a component, then yes ferrite chokes can help. There is more to using ferrite chokes than just placing a random choke on a random place in a cable.

Can you please elaborate? This is very interesting.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I use the clamp on cores on the ATX molex cables in the PC that connect the sound card & usb card (as well as rfi shielding around these). It has made a notable difference with the sound card audio performance, which is used for muti-channel duties. I also bought a few extras and clamped them on all the mains cables nearest the IEC socket for the PC & DAC.

I use the clamp on cores on the ATX molex cables in the PC that connect the sound card & usb card (as well as rfi shielding around these). It has made a notable difference with the sound card audio performance, which is used for muti-channel duties. I also bought a few extras and clamped them on all the mains cables nearest the IEC socket for the PC & DAC.

Can you point me to whatever brand of ferrite clamp on cores you bought? As these look to be pretty cheap I am interested in trying this out for myself.

Other components:

Go to Ebay and type in Ferrite cores. Plenty to choose from.

Right, but I was not sure if there is a difference in quality between brands that could impact the sound.

Other components:

Ferrite chokes/clamps are RF noise filters put there on purpose. They reduce amount of radio frequency noise that can be picked up from air on the cable and travel through it messing with things like increasing jitter. (open cable outside a shielded box is like an antenna)

For example on HDMI and DVI display cables they reduce / remove data transfer errors, otherwise you may see occasional wrong pixel colors flashing shortly on the screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers