IGNORED

My Second Audio PC (PPA + Teradak + HDPLEX H5 2nd + JCAT+SOtM Absorber)

• 7 months later...

Hi Sligolad,

Can you please let me know your experience with Teradak LPSU? What version are you using (ATX-275)?

Also, what Paul Hynes LPSU are you using and what is your experience with it? I assume it sounds better powering the USB with it as opposed to powering the USB directly from the ATX.

Did you try powering the OS SSD separately as well?

Solid build!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

NAIDIVER, wow what a build! Do you know of any place that could make the same build? I would love to buy a similar build without doing it myself!

Mac Mini with Teradak supply running Audirvana+. Also have several PC based system running JRiver

Hi Sligolad,

Can you please let me know your experience with Teradak LPSU? What version are you using (ATX-275)?

Also, what Paul Hynes LPSU are you using and what is your experience with it? I assume it sounds better powering the USB with it as opposed to powering the USB directly from the ATX.

Did you try powering the OS SSD separately as well?

Teradak 210.4W/308 ATX-210 purchased on the old group buy and it has been faultless, I have even used it to power 2 x audio PCs when i ran dual PC JPlay setup.

I had to wire in the second 20 Pin ATX connector and it ran both PCs well.

The Paul Hynes is a 3 rail SR7 with 12v 5v and 5v.

Everything sounds better running off Paul Hynes but some devices sound just as good off the Teradak.

JCat USB card, SSD, Compact Flash SATA adaptor with Music, 12v motherboard, PPA OCXO for motherboard, Regulator for 1.3v to memory are supplied off the Paul Hynes.

It can be a bit of a rabbit hole going after several power supplies on a PC Motherboard with boot issues but once you get it setup and running reliably it tends to remain solid.

Some Bios do not respond well to lots of different supplies so beware.

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Teradak 210.4W/308 ATX-210 purchased on the old group buy and it has been faultless, I have even used it to power 2 x audio PCs when i ran dual PC JPlay setup.

I had to wire in the second 20 Pin ATX connector and it ran both PCs well.

The Paul Hynes is a 3 rail SR7 with 12v 5v and 5v.

Everything sounds better running off Paul Hynes but some devices sound just as good off the Teradak.

JCat USB card, SSD, Compact Flash SATA adaptor with Music, 12v motherboard, PPA OCXO for motherboard, Regulator for 1.3v to memory are supplied off the Paul Hynes.

It can be a bit of a rabbit hole going after several power supplies on a PC Motherboard with boot issues but once you get it setup and running reliably it tends to remain solid.

Some Bios do not respond well to lots of different supplies so beware.

Cheers, Pearse.

Hi Pearse,

Thanks for the reply.

So, essentially Paul Haynes delivers a better sound than Teradak, right?

Are you using the 2 x 5V separate rails to power the Jcat and SSD separately?

Also, are you using a PICO PSU for the motherboard?

Cheers,

Andru

Question, is this kind of build provide significantly better performance than just getting a linear PSU powering something like a fanless NUC with SSDs?

Most of micro or mini pc work very well today because of new technology. It depends on what is its spec. (cpu?/Ram?)

It's fine if your NUC can handle DSD well (please try testing DSD playback before you buy it especially while upsampling via Hq player).

but if you wanna go to the top, you need more space inside the case for USB card added or even more SSDs.

SSDs need SATA filters on them because its noise generated from microchip themselves.

Some decent audiophile grade cable (dc cables, SATA cables)

You can add more upgrade things in there but except PPA stuffs ( i swear.., it's extremely unstable. I need to restarted almost 4-5 times for its waking up like knock knock.. hey... wake up you, lazy boy.. LOL)

but it's ok for NUC. Nice choices.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Hi Pearse,

Thanks for the reply.

So, essentially Paul Haynes delivers a better sound than Teradak, right?

Are you using the 2 x 5V separate rails to power the Jcat and SSD separately?

Also, are you using a PICO PSU for the motherboard?

Cheers,

Andru

Paul Hynes would want to be for the price and the lead time....not sure if the improvement over the Teradak is worth the price and wait but that is a matter of degrees and how much you want to spend for small increases in music enjoyment.

Everything separate where possible but not always possible, starting adding 3.3v Lipo batteries lately for more separation of Power Supplies.

Pico supplies have been banned from Audio PCs years ago :-))

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Paul Hynes would want to be for the price and the lead time....not sure if the improvement over the Teradak is worth the price and wait but that is a matter of degrees and how much you want to spend for small increases in music enjoyment.

Everything separate where possible but not always possible, starting adding 3.3v Lipo batteries lately for more separation of Power Supplies.

Pico supplies have been banned from Audio PCs years ago :-))

Cheers, Pearse.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the PICO PSUs, I was referring to this: picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply, which is delivering untouched direct 12V from a LPSU to the Mobo.