IGNORED

More dynamics, attack and energy?

I'm using a desktop with a P2900 CPU that is designed for fan less operation. I've taken the fans off of the PC with great success.

The PC is powered by a 19.5v 3.3a SMPS. Would going to a 19v 6a LPSU give more dynamics, attack and energy to my music.

I understand that the noise generated by a SMPS can mask many things in a system. Is what I'm asking about some of them?

I'm an older man getting his feet wet in CA and have a lot to learn. Thanks.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

I understand that the noise generated by a SMPS can mask many things in a system.

Given that many members are enjoying markedly improved audio from their Mac Minis using the John Swenson designed JS2 power supply, as well as a further improvement using his fan controller PCB to stop radiated harmonics etc. emanating from the fan, due to the onboard PWM controller, I would expect that if your proposed linear PSU is anywhere near decent, that you should also obtain improved results. You have already overcome degradation due to RF/EMI as a result of PWM control of fans. Many people note improved results when running their laptops from battery, instead of the supplied SMPS supply, so you should obtain an improvement too when using a good Linear supply.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

For the path you are on, you need to reduce latency/jitter/cycle stealing. The LPS will get you started and if running Linux you will probably be ok at that point.

If you are running Windows, it has a lot of OS baggage that compromises audio. I'd suggest you try two things

1) download DPC latency checker... your goal should be to get under 200ms but you probably won't be there with a default OS configuration

DPC Latency Checker

2) install Fidelizer as the least "fiddly" windows optimizer... its safe as it resets to your normal OS config on reboot. If you run DPC latency checker

again after running fidelizer you should see a marked improvement in latency that coupled with asynch USB conversion will improve transient response.

In the most common user systems this is sufficient.

Fidelizer - The best way to improve sound quality in Windows

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

For the path you are on, you need to reduce latency/jitter/cycle stealing. The LPS will get you started and if running Linux you will probably be ok at that point.

If you are running Windows, it has a lot of OS baggage that compromises audio. I'd suggest you try two things

1) download DPC latency checker... your goal should be to get under 200ms but you probably won't be there with a default OS configuration

DPC Latency Checker

2) install Fidelizer as the least "fiddly" windows optimizer... its safe as it resets to your normal OS config on reboot. If you run DPC latency checker

again after running fidelizer you should see a marked improvement in latency that coupled with asynch USB conversion will improve transient response.

In the most common user systems this is sufficient.

Fidelizer - The best way to improve sound quality in Windows

Sorry I wasn't clear with my set up. I'm running W10 with Fidelizer. I'm using a Shunyata Venom USB cable that is very highly reviewed. I have a Schiit Bifrost Gen2 w/Uber outs. I'm running a Regen with a LPSU. My amp is powered by 24v 5a Sealed lead batteries, so it's off the grid.

Everything else is pluged into a balanced transformer I use for conditioning.

I am purchasing a Keces DC-116 LPSU to power my computer. I'm hoping for more energy and dynamics. The rest is very good.

Here's my listening room.

DSCN1376.JPG

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

You should be able to get good transients and detail out of the solution you have as that was never my complaint while fiddling with an optimized direct connect Windows server. I did find that running notebook (5V) drives with separate battery power helped, required cutting up some sata power cables to splice battery connections but that wasn't too hard.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

off-topic but I really dig the picture of the listening room. It's very nice.

+1! Are those the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 speakers? I love the finish. I have the SF Guarneri Evolutions.

As for improved attack and overall dynamics, I got improvement by replacing the internal DC ATX power supply of my PC (already being fed by a linear power supply). I immediately noticed better bottom end and overall energy. Another thing to consider is your DAC. If I recall correctly, most people say the Schiit house sound is warmer compared to something like an Auralic Vega. What are your amps and preamp (if you are using one)?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

You should be able to get good transients and detail out of the solution you have as that was never my complaint while fiddling with an optimized direct connect Windows server. I did find that running notebook (5V) drives with separate battery power helped, required cutting up some sata power cables to splice battery connections but that wasn't too hard.

Thank you David for the encouragement.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

+1! Are those the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 speakers? I love the finish. I have the SF Guarneri Evolutions.

As for improved attack and overall dynamics, I got improvement by replacing the internal DC ATX power supply of my PC (already being fed by a linear power supply). I immediately noticed better bottom end and overall energy. Another thing to consider is your DAC. If I recall correctly, most people say the Schiit house sound is warmer compared to something like an Auralic Vega. What are your amps and preamp (if you are using one)?

tboooe...Yes, the Venere 2.5's are a perfect match to my small room. I've learned that front ported speakers are the only way to go in a small room. I really am impressed with the Sonus Faber sound. Took me off the search for speakers. I feel I can build my system around them.

My amp is a custom made 2024 Tripath amp. Cardas Rhodium plated speaker binding posts, Fururtec RCA in and out. Powered by two 12v 5a lead sealed batteries wired for 24v.

My pre is a 1st gen. Tortuga LDR. I've rewired the inside with better DC wire and RCA input and output wire. I've also changed the generic RCA ins and outs with Fururtec RCA's.

I'm with you... feeling like my DAC maybe a choke point also. It is somewhat warm, but I do like a little warmth in my system.

I bought this DAC just to get my feet wet in computer audio. I'm in my mid 50's and somewhat computer illiterate. I've been reading a lot here on CA and most of it is above my head. The desktop with W10 and Fidelizer works for me and it's at my comfort level in usage. It may not be as good as a stand alone server, but I do know how to operate it. It's funny that last week it was a big deal to me to get JRemote on my phone and use it to control my system in a headless manner. Thanks to everyone for helping me in my plight.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

tboooe...Yes, the Venere 2.5's are a perfect match to my small room. I've learned that front ported speakers are the only way to go in a small room. I really am impressed with the Sonus Faber sound. Took me off the search for speakers. I feel I can build my system around them.

My amp is a custom made 2024 Tripath amp. Cardas Rhodium plated speaker binding posts, Fururtec RCA in and out. Powered by two 12v 5a lead sealed batteries wired for 24v.

My pre is a 1st gen. Tortuga LDR. I've rewired the inside with better DC wire and RCA input and output wire. I've also changed the generic RCA ins and outs with Fururtec RCA's.

I'm with you... feeling like my DAC maybe a choke point also. It is somewhat warm, but I do like a little warmth in my system.

I bought this DAC just to get my feet wet in computer audio. I'm in my mid 50's and somewhat computer illiterate. I've been reading a lot here on CA and most of it is above my head. The desktop with W10 and Fidelizer works for me and it's at my comfort level in usage. It may not be as good as a stand alone server, but I do know how to operate it. It's funny that last week it was a big deal to me to get JRemote on my phone and use it to control my system in a headless manner. Thanks to everyone for helping me in my plight.

You should definitely consider sending your Uber Bifrost back into Schiit for the Multibit upgrade. I've had my Bifrost for quite a while, and went from Uber to Multibit in November - a pretty large difference (improvement) in most sonic departments. At only $250 it's a bit of a no-brainer as it will definitely improve your existing sound in a marked way (and more cheaply) than LPS's, although I definitely think LPS's are a good investment. Schiit's turn around time is pretty remarkably quick, too - had mine done right before Thanksgiving and they had it back to me in less than 5 days.

You can read more about it/user experiences over at this thread on Head-Fi, which tends to have the biggest Schiit userbase:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here

You should definitely consider sending your Uber Bifrost back into Schiit for the Multibit upgrade. I've had my Bifrost for quite a while, and went from Uber to Multibit in November - a pretty large difference (improvement) in most sonic departments. At only $250 it's a bit of a no-brainer as it will definitely improve your existing sound in a marked way (and more cheaply) than LPS's, although I definitely think LPS's are a good investment. Schiit's turn around time is pretty remarkably quick, too - had mine done right before Thanksgiving and they had it back to me in less than 5 days.

You can read more about it/user experiences over at this thread on Head-Fi, which tends to have the biggest Schiit userbase:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here

Thank you, I have listened to a Bimby in my system. A buddy of mine brought one over and hooked it up and I did like the sound coming from it. The highs stayed the same, the midrange energy and clarity was a little better, BUT... The bass was very dynamic and high energy. Much cleaner also. It seemed like it took the bloat of the bass and focused it into more energy. Very nice. The only problem was he was having a lot of problems after he got the MB upgrade. It played fine in my system, but it left me concerned.

It looks like It's going to be awhile before I can justify purchasing a new DAC. I'm looking at the W4S DAC1-LE, but I'm also wanting a MQA compatible DAC (Brooklyn). Twice the money. I wasn't going to pit the MB upgrade in because I was going to buy a new DAC. The wife kinda put the breaks on that with retirement coming very soon. The MB upgrade might be a good choice until the right time for a new DAC comes along.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

I have put a Keces DC-116 in my system to power my PC. At first I was somewhat disappointed, it sounded too polite. Sound staging and layering was better, but still too polite. I left it tuned on powering the computer and the next day I was very surprised when I turned my system on. Better dynamics and transients. More energy than the SMPS and still had the better sound stage and layering to its advantage.

All I can figure is that it needed warmed up to deliver it's full potential. I also use a balanced transformer (a steady diet of 60/60) and unless the previous owner used balance power the unit needed a burn in on the neutral side of the AC inlet.

The combination of both may be what I heard.

Another jump in the right direction is I went headless after I got everything set back up and noticed how much I was enjoying the music instead of listening for a lack of dynamics and energy. It was my most pleasurable night of listening since I started my venture in computer audio.

I know I still have a polite DAC with not the best USB implementation compared to some, but the Keces has bought me some time to enjoy what I have until the next upgrade comes along.

P.S. I want to thank tboooe for selling me a perfect and absolute quiet Keces LPSU.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

As for improved attack and overall dynamics, I got improvement by replacing the internal DC ATX power supply of my PC (already being fed by a linear power supply). I immediately noticed better bottom end and overall energy.

This sounds like my setup. Internal DC supply fed by external LPS. So what was your final configuration, what did you replace the DC ATX (Plex by any chance?) with?

This sounds like my setup. Internal DC supply fed by external LPS. So what was your final configuration, what did you replace the DC ATX (Plex by any chance?) with?

Yup, HDPlex 250w hifi version.

HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input)

However, I will be replacing that with a HDPlex 300w linear ATX power supply.

HDPLEX Fanless 300W ATX Linear Power Supply with Modular ATX Output

This way I can supply full linear power to the pc and get rid of all switch mode supplies from the pc completely. Also, the various input voltages are on separate rails so hopefully I can get some improvement because of this as well. I am excited to try this out.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the compliment. I made the room treatments and my rack. I've got a lot of love and sweat tied up in my music room. It has rewarded me with a most beautiful soundstage and very precise imaging.

Just more kudo's on your equipment and room design, the whole package is beautiful!

I was going to ask you who's wall treatments they were, very nice. May I ask you exactly what you put inside the frames?

TIA

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I have found my problem with liveliness and dynamics in my system. I'm almost embarrassed to say what it was. I have to say I would have never guessed it would have been so simple. I took the tape off the 5v+/- on my USB cable and my system came alive. The Bifrost would play with the Regen without the 5v going to it, but it's obvious that I was starving it from enough voltage to play to it's potential. I never new this Schiit could sound so good.

Just thought I would share my finding. Sounds like a new system.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

Love the room.

The Multibit is a good upgrade. I'd highly recommend it or even trading the Bifrost for Gungnir Multibit.

Also, if you have a spare system give Daphile a try. Windows 10 with Fidelizer is good, but Linux takes it to a whole new level. Or if you have good system specs then the Bug Head Player is also an excellent option, but be warned it a resource hog and also needs a lot of babysitting. Not a s/w that works out of the box, but the tradeoff in terms of setup is worth it for the huge gains in SQ.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I have found my problem with liveliness and dynamics in my system. I'm almost embarrassed to say what it was. I have to say I would have never guessed it would have been so simple. I took the tape off the 5v+/- on my USB cable and my system came alive. The Bifrost would play with the Regen without the 5v going to it, but it's obvious that I was starving it from enough voltage to play to it's potential. I never new this Schiit could sound so good.

Just thought I would share my finding. Sounds like a new system.

I use a Schiit Wyrd. Assuming that it already provides electricity to my DAC's USB port, I cut off the red wire of the USB cable that connects my PC and Wyrd so that the cable would transmit only data. But this doesn't work, no sound comes out from the system.

I use a Schiit Wyrd. Assuming that it already provides electricity to my DAC's USB port, I cut off the red wire of the USB cable that connects my PC and Wyrd so that the cable would transmit only data. But this doesn't work, no sound comes out from the system.

I've butchered a usb or two and learned to use scotch tape to block the signal instead. Lesson learned.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.