IGNORED

Tagging Software Advice

Before moving to dbpoweramp I ripped hundreds of CDs in WAV format using Exact Audio Copy. Now that I've moved away from Meridian Sooloos (who's software automatically pulls in tagging data over the Internet), I'm realizing that all the CD's I've ripped using EAC weren't properly tagged and my current UPnP library program (Asset) can't identify them. Is there a software solution that I can use to tag all those CDs to save me from re-ripping them all using dbpoweramp?

There are many programs to consider, a couple you can check out are Mp3tag which is free, or SongKong which seems to be gaining in popularity.

MP3Tag can change DSF, whereas SongKong don't support (as they stated on the website). I remember Tag&Rename, but was so used to using MP3Tag, I stuck with it. Much like windows and OSX.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks! What's DSF?

DSF (along with DFF) is the file format used with DSD files.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Been using Tag&Rename for years. It's the best, not to mention the easiest.

Foobar (the player) is a good free alternative.

+1. Ive been a user since one of the first versions.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

+1 DBPoweramp. JRiver will also tag 'em up. The free version of JRiver is on the Pono Music World page.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

What do you folks do for track title? Do you need more than the track name in the title? Program seem to default into having the album, artist and track # in addition to the track name? Is this necessary? I like things to look "clean" when using my MiND music app rather than cluttered with a whole bunch of unnecessary information.

What do you folks do for track title? Do you need more than the track name in the title? Program seem to default into having the album, artist and track # in addition to the track name? Is this necessary? I like things to look "clean" when using my MiND music app rather than cluttered with a whole bunch of unnecessary information.

Track title? It seems you are describing the filename. The track name tag should only have the name of the track, period. But the physical filename should ALWAYS have track number in it, usually at the front. Why? Because then, when you have an orphan file laying around, or have some albums that have missing tags, most tagging software, given no other info, will put files in filename order (and without track numbers, the file order will be alphabetical, which is not how albums are sorted). If then you were to paste tags into dumb filenames the tags would be in the wrong order on the wrong files. Always create filenames with good standards, like [track #]-[Artist]-[Album]-[Name] or something like that. Both DB Poweramp and JRIver (as well as others mentioned here) can easily support a standard template for ripping or copying/converting. They can also create dynamic folder structures so you can have standard directories and folders.

Edit: worth considering is your type of music. If you listen to lots of classical, with often HUGE track names (work-movement, etc) then you might want to reduce your filename to something that is shorter but still unique, like [track #] - [album] . The point of good filenaming is so an orphaned file can be quickly reunited with its album by simply looking at the filename, and also so sorting is easy for copying/pasting metadata ("paste tag" is one of JRIver's greatest hidden strengths, something I show how to use in my video links below)..

Track title? It seems you are describing the filename. The track name tag should only have the name of the track, period. But the physical filename should ALWAYS have track number in it, usually at the front. Why? Because then, when you have an orphan file laying around, or have some albums that have missing tags, most tagging software, given no other info, will put files in filename order (and without track numbers, the file order will be alphabetical, which is not how albums are sorted). If then you were to paste tags into dumb filenames the tags would be in the wrong order on the wrong files. Always create filenames with good standards, like [track #]-[Artist]-[Album]-[Name] or something like that. Both DB Poweramp and JRIver (as well as others mentioned here) can easily support a standard template for ripping or copying/converting. They can also create dynamic folder structures so you can have standard directories and folders.

My bad Ted_B! I did mean file name. I take it the file name won't impact the song title in the app because that info is stored in the tag, correct?

My bad Ted_B! I did mean file name. I take it the file name won't impact the song title in the app because that info is stored in the tag, correct?

Correct. Check my edited response above, especially if you want to use JRIver for tagging. It has great unique capabilities (mass tagging, paste tagging, expression language), but so do most of the tools (i.e each has a unique strength).

I'm realizing that all the CD's I've ripped using EAC weren't properly tagged and my current UPnP library program (Asset) can't identify them. Is there a software solution that I can use to tag all those CDs to save me from re-ripping them all using dbpoweramp?

Do you wish to keep the music files in .WAV format? One problem with WAV is that it does not have a standard way of storing metadata (tags) in the music file, so different music software programs use their own way of storing the data - often in a database which is separate from the actual files. If you want to properly tag your files while retaining the sound quality of WAV, you will need to convert them to a lossless format like FLAC. Also, as the information needed for your tags appears to be already embedded in the filenames, most of the programs already mentioned can generate your tags automatically from the filenames.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

To be fair to WAV, that's beginning to change... Furthermore, from WAV's point of view, it has always had a de jure way of storing metadata - as a container format it's built in (see RIFF INFO)! The problem has been music player software writers' reluctance to read/write those tags, probably partly because few others do so.

This is beginning to change. Plus, ID3 tags are now being embedded more regularly, which allows a richer schema with more agreed fields.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

Everything is taken from the tags... so no issues there.

For the file name I go with Number - Track (01 - Beat It) or Number. Track (01. Beat It). You can dispense with the Number if you create a playlist for the album and save it along with the files and also use the playlist to load albums... but numbering files is always a good idea so media players start the album in sequence not to mention they come in handy in case of tracks with the same name (imagine listening to all of Michael Jackson in a day... Beat It will be replicated across multiple albums). Some media players will consider that file duplication and not load similar files (based on settings).

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I use Mp3tag and I'm very happy with the results and ease of use. It is free but I find it so useful that I will make a donation to the developer on random occasions.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I know this is controversial but, when I conducted a test a few years ago when beginning to rip my CD collection, WAV sounded better to me on my system than FLAC (uncompressed). Not sure if that is still the case on my new system. But I've had a preference for WAV ever since then.

I thought that DBpoweramp tagged WAV files? They must be tagged as Asset has no issue with presenting information for the CDs I ripped with DBpoweramp. It's the rips through EAC that are the issue.

I know this is controversial but, when I conducted a test a few years ago when beginning to rip my CD collection, WAV sounded better to me on my system than FLAC (uncompressed). Not sure if that is still the case on my new system. But I've had a preference for WAV ever since then.

As you say, controversial, but if you felt WAV sounded better, the most plausible explanation would be that your processor at the time was struggling to decode the FLAC files in a timely manner. You might find it worthwhile to re-evaluate with your present (presumably more powerful) rig.

I thought that DBpoweramp tagged WAV files? They must be tagged as Asset has no issue with presenting information for the CDs I ripped with DBpoweramp. It's the rips through EAC that are the issue.

As Dan Gravell points out, WAV files can be tagged, but there seems to be a lack of consensus about the format. Have you tried opening any of the EAC-ripped files in DBpoweramp, to see if it can see any tag data?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

My strategy is...

I have a folder with the bands name, like "Pink Floyd".

Then a folder with the album name and the release date in front "1979 - The Wall"

(you dont need the release date here because it will be in the tag, but adding a release date to the folder makes it easier when browsing in your players folder view).

The file is named "01 - In The Flesh.flac"

Important Tag Fields are...

Artist - Title - Album - Track(Number) - Year/Release - Genre - Comment

In the "Comments" i sometimes add the Files Resolution and Bitrate when i have the same album in different versions.

You can't go wrong with this and its pretty much the same way "HDTracks" Files are tagged. Clean and simple.

MP3Tag is all you need, it converts file names, adds covers ect.

Still is. I've tried with MinimServer and MinimStreamer and transcoding FLAC to WAV improves the dynamics... very subtle, but its still there. A tad bit more detail and also its more airy with increased soundstage.

I've tried various tagging tools... but nothing worked to my satisfaction for WAV. I do rip with EAC though. But I've not tried WAV rips and tagging them in a long time... gave up and went with FLAC a few years back.

Tagging metadata is one of the main reasons for going with FLAC and not WAV... at least for me personally.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther