Airport Express - audio frequency limitation

Equipment in use:

- Macbook Pro Snow Leopard 10.6.1

- iTunes 9.0.1

- Apple Express 7.4.2

- minijack to RCA cable

- Outlaw Model 990 Preamp/Processor

- Outlaw LFM-1 Compact Subwoofer

I just replaced my Logitech Music Anywhere (it died) with an Airport Express.

Works great except the sub (which is set to automatically come on) does not engage. I did not have this problem with the Logitech and changed no settings during the switch-out.

I then tried to resolve by changing the surround mode - 5-channel stereo, 2-channel stereo, bypass, Neo, PLII, etc - all yield the same bassless result. Forcing the subwoofer into an On state and placing my finger on the cone, I can feel the slightest vibration; not enough to be audible.

I have a feeling that frequencies below 200hz are not transmitted fully through the Airport Express. Have any of you had a similar issue?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

suggs

If I read correctly, you are currently using a Mini-Jack to 2 RCA analogue connection between the AirPort Express and your Outlaw 990. While it's not 100% going to solve your problem, it is probably worth you getting hold of a Mini-TOSLink to TOSLink cable and connecting it to a spare optical digital input on your pre-amp/processor - the analogue out of a AirPort Express is very poor compared with the potential through optical/digital connection.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Looking for magic and I suppose I found some.

It was the 'ol "my hand brushed against the audio input cable on the sub and it clicked on". It was pretty snug but perhaps it just wanted a little extra push.

Can't believe my first post here was to solve an oversight. But hey, now my music is sounding as it should!

Thanks for your suggestions!

suggs