IGNORED

small linear power supply for audio interface

jaynyc

Hi. I am looking to replace the wall-wart power supply that came with my Echo Audiofire 2 portable firewire audio interface.

Can anyone here recommend a somewhat small, maybe even light in weight, linear power supply to replace this wall wart:

2016-02-07_125159425_7A9F8_iOS.jpg

2016-02-07_131245876_BAA95_iOS.jpg

for this

af2b.jpg

Output specs are 12VDC 600mA

thank you for any guidance

--jay

Just remember that the IFI is not an LPSU. It will provide a quiet DC, but will spit back horrible noise back in the AC.

Spot on ! Quite a few members have reported worthwhile improvements when replacing this SMPS PSU with a Linear type, despite the manufacturer's boasting about how quiet it is.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just remember that the IFI is not an LPSU. It will provide a quiet DC, but will spit back horrible noise back in the AC.

Have you measured this poor performance with an iFi iPower, or are you just assuming that it 'will spit back horrible noise in the AC'?

System (i): (Stack Audio Link/MoOde > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Ortofon 2M Black/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > Glow Amp One > Klipsch RP-600M

System (ii): iUSB3.0 Nano/Allo USB Signature/MoOde > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > (Tandy LX5; JBL LSR305 ; Audeze LCD-3)

Spot on ! Quite a few members have reported worthwhile improvements when replacing this SMPS PSU with a Linear type, despite the manufacturer's boasting about how quiet it is.

I haven't seen any discussions on this forum where people are saying that they are dissatisfied with their iFi iPower PSUs, and have changed to linear PSUs - can you provide links so that I can read it for myself?

I've just got a 5 volt iPower to power a Raspberry Pi and it sounds better to me than the cheap linear PSU I was using before.

System (i): (Stack Audio Link/MoOde > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Ortofon 2M Black/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > Glow Amp One > Klipsch RP-600M

System (ii): iUSB3.0 Nano/Allo USB Signature/MoOde > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > (Tandy LX5; JBL LSR305 ; Audeze LCD-3)

Have you measured this poor performance with an iFi iPower, or are you just assuming that it 'will spit back horrible noise in the AC'?

I agree with this. There seems to be some assumption, which I've never seen backed up here that these wall wart-style supplies have some terrible effect on the power and that then affects sound quality. Is this in theory or an actuality, and how will it manifest so that the average listener hears these supposed negative effects.

Full disclosure: I'm not an electrical engineer, just a good listener with very transparent equipment. Many of the things folks swear help or don't help power-wise I've yet to hear.

From an old post where I stuck a scope on the DC impact of the IFI wallwart. The AC side I used the Audioprism noise sniffer.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-ipurifier-what-it-how-use-it-do-i-want-it-18206/index6.html

More info on handy tools:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/helpful-noise-floor-lowering-tools-17667/

From an old post where I stuck a scope on the DC impact of the IFI wallwart. The AC side I used the Audioprism noise sniffer.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-ipurifier-what-it-how-use-it-do-i-want-it-18206/index6.html

More info on handy tools:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/helpful-noise-floor-lowering-tools-17667/

Thanks for posting the links - both were very interesting. I think you tested an older iFi wall wart, not the current iPower version, and so it may have different performance from the AC noise perspective. I don't have an AM radio but it does sound an interesting way to listen to EMI.

Thanks for posting the links - both were very interesting. I think you tested an older iFi wall wart, not the current iPower version, and so it may have different performance from the AC noise perspective. I don't have an AM radio but it does sound an interesting way to listen to EMI.

I think most of us are far more willing to experiment at a $50 price tag than a $400 price tag...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I haven't seen any discussions on this forum where people are saying that they are dissatisfied with their iFi iPower PSUs, and have changed to linear PSUs - can you provide links so that I can read it for myself?

There have been several reports posted by members about a further improvement when using a relatively inexpensive LPSU instead, but if you wish to read them, then don't expect others to spend quite a bit of time trying to locate them for you !

P.S.

I see that another member has now linked to a thread where the old AM Radio "sniffer" technique has been used. It can also be very revealing when tried on the power leads of many Class D amplifiers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

There have been several reports posted by members about a further improvement when using a relatively inexpensive LPSU instead, but if you wish to read them, then don't expect others to spend quite a bit of time trying to locate them for you !

What 'relatively inexpensive LPSU' are you talking about? Does it cost about the same as the iFi iPower? If you don't provide links to support your assertions, and say that they are hard to locate, then how is anyone supposed to know that you aren't just making stuff up?

It is likely improved further on the DC side, and for a small portable switcher it is good. It all depends on your need. If you are traveling it is handy. If you have sensitive equipment with a low noise floor at home, it helps to remove all switchers from your audio circuit. Most switchers will spit AC noise. The cleanest I had was a Teddy Pardo, but this is not portable.

For cheap bench supplies that have no AC noise and are cleaner than the ifi, I used HY1503C Variable Linear DC Power Supply, Analog Display. Again, far from portable.

I agree with this. There seems to be some assumption, which I've never seen backed up here that these wall wart-style supplies have some terrible effect on the power and that then affects sound quality. Is this in theory or an actuality, and how will it manifest so that the average listener hears these supposed negative effects.

Full disclosure: I'm not an electrical engineer, just a good listener with very transparent equipment. Many of the things folks swear help or don't help power-wise I've yet to hear.

Almost all consumer grade SMPS supplies/wallwarts cause this problem, in part due to the obligatory high voltage, small value capacitor between the Primary (AC mains) and secondary sides, mainly used to comply with legislative requirements. As well as HF rubbish getting back into the AC mains supply, it also causes the DC output to have a reading of up to half the AC mains voltage between it and mains earth ,which you can measure with a DVM.

Silicon Chip magazine wrote 2 articles about this nasty side effect : "Stop those nasty ZAPS from double insulated equipment" in July 2006, and "DVD Players- Just how good are they for HiFi Audio" in October 2007.

The usual side effects are a poorer Signal to Noise ratio in the powered device, and the possibility of nasty little Zaps, mainly when plugging/ unplugging the device into a listening chain using a power amplifier etc. that is connected to IEC mains earth via a 3 pin mains plug. Touching the metal cases of some of these SMPS powered devices may also result in a "tingle", or vibrating sensation if you rub a finger across it.