IGNORED

Rolling Stone: In Defense of the CD Are we being too quick to toss out an old friend?

In Defense of the CD | Rolling Stone

I went to the shelves, pulled out my copy of Low on CD, slid it into the player and – boom! – listened to the album straight through, with zero issues and lusher sound. As it was playing, I couldn't help but wonder: When and why did the CD become public sonic enemy Number One, the most reviled audio format since quad? Why, again, are we abandoning these things?

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

In Defense of the CD | Rolling Stone

I went to the shelves, pulled out my copy of Low on CD, slid it into the player and – boom! – listened to the album straight through, with zero issues and lusher sound. As it was playing, I couldn't help but wonder: When and why did the CD become public sonic enemy Number One, the most reviled audio format since quad? Why, again, are we abandoning these things?

Lusher sound than what? I see no advantage to the format over either streaming media (Tidal) or computer audio. Shoeboxes of never played again plastic clutter under my beds tell the tale.

I consider FLAC/ALAC just an updated transport for CD. Certainly better for me than streaming of MP3/AAC. I replaced much of my library with early CD original master rips having higher DR than found in trash compactor remasters. Most of these will not be the streamed version even if using Tidal Hi-Fi for $20 a month.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I consider FLAC/ALAC just an updated transport for CD. Certainly better for me than streaming of MP3/AAC. I replaced much of my library with early CD original master rips having higher DR than found in trash compactor remasters. Most of these will not be the streamed version even if using Tidal Hi-Fi for $20 a month.

True, why I like Roon so both are easily accessible.

The article hit the elements I still appreciate about cd's in the quote below:

"music-geek necessities like credits and liner notes if you want to know who wrote that song or played that guitar or which song was sampled within the track.

They remain the last format to truly honor the idea of the album . . ."

IMHO vinyl has too many drawbacks; I do not miss tempermental needle adjustments, pops, crackles or hiss, and no ability to change tracks by remote control.

Cheers,

XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Nice article. Thanks for sharing junker. Every so often I reconnect the old CDP and listen to a few discs, only to re-pack & store once again (even though it sounds pretty good). The convenience and sound quality of computers is just too compelling. To me CDs are nothing more than a storage medium waiting to be ripped. No real nostalgic warm and fuzzy feelings (like vinyl) for me.