IGNORED

HQP vs. Vinyl Reassessment

If that record sounds thin, its a problem with cartridge/phono pre compatibility. Overall the old Mercuries are lovely with occasional funkiness in the deep bass

That's a very strong possibility. I was a bit shocked that the LP sounded the way it did, and I'm scouting around for a better phono pre.

But my point is that vinyl, like digital, depends on a whole chain of components that can be poorly matched, over-priced, under-performing and sometimes just plain un-musical. Right now my digital chain easily bests my vinyl setup. Last night I was listening to Jos van Immerseel's Beethoven symphonies. Gosh, what more do you want? Rich, spacious recording, with tangy instrumental textures and loads of detail, even when his tempos hit light speed. Would it sound better in vinyl? I really don't know. I sort of doubt it.

OTOH I have an old L'Oiseau Lyre LP of Weber clarinet concertos with Gervaise de Peyer. The sound leaps off the LP, clarinet prominently featured and the small orchestra backing it in a fairly dryish acoustic. The Decca CD re-issue is ghastly--they've added some sort of reverb and the music sits there like roadkill.

Another phenomenon is the difference in jazz re-sissues. Analogue Productions has released Ellington's Jazz Party, and the sound is far better than the Sony digital re-issue. The problem is that the original Columbia mix tapes employed by AA mask a lot of the performance details with crappy dubbed-in applause, whereas with the digital reissue they went back to the studio masters and you can actually hear the beginnings and ends of the arrangements, and there are some nice touches there! Plus, with the digital issue you get unreleased bonus tracks that are of great interest to Ellingtonians.

To my way of thinking there's a strong argument for both, from a sonic standpoint as well as a musicological one, if you will. In general, I think anyone who rejects digital out of hand is going to be missing out on a tremendous amount of music. And in my experience it doesn't take a huge amount of money to make it sound pretty good.

Being a bit thick, is this via USB?

Yes, sorry. If you're not familiar with HQ Player, the idea is that you have a powerful computer doing the conversion and upsampling, and then send the signal via ethernet to a barebones device that passes the signal to the DAC via USB. The upsampled signal bypasses the DAC's internal upsampling filters. To my ears this is the cleanest, sweetest, most analogue-like digital I have heard yet, and I've tried most of the playback software out there. But this isn't an ad for HQ Player, just a suggestion that you can get better digital on a budget--and that decent digital, like decent vinyl, takes some fiddling. :-)

...aaand since my last post gives away the game, so to speak, I'll happily go on "record" as saying analogue is still superior to digital, IMO. But I'm not convinced that *vinyl* is the easiest way to achieve that superiority. Thus you have reel-to-reel aficianados. But again, you're talking about a highly limited repertoire and the vagaries of tape dubs.

Our chief audio tech at work, a very sharp fellow with discerning ears, has a neat trick. He transfers a CD to reel-to-reel then challenges people to determine which is the "digital master" and which is the "analogue" master. Think about that for a moment. ;-)

Fun to follow along, I never though intended to raise 'any' controversy at all. I'm here on CA and have been since attending Chris' very first CA event in Berkeley CA. I'd love for digital to be superior all the time, and I do believe I'll eventually get there..ie) DAC, NAA, Network optical isol and LPS's. I will say re. formats, it takes money, skill and a certain level of competence either way, to achieve a real musical sound that's pleasing at least for for me. And I enjoy both formats for what they add to this experience.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Fun to follow along, I never though intended to raise 'any' controversy at all. I'm here on CA and have been since attending Chris' very first CA event in Berkeley CA. I'd love for digital to be superior all the time, and I do believe I'll eventually get there..ie) DAC, NAA, Network optical isol and LPS's. I will say re. formats, it takes money, skill and a certain level of competence either way, to achieve a real musical sound that's pleasing at least for for me. And I enjoy both formats for what they add to this experience.

I enjoyed your post and the ensuing discussion. It's got me thinking about my vinyl setup again. My wife likes vinyl but I don't think she enjoys the current setup, so I'm going to put a little effort into that end of things. Thanks!

If you're the type that likes to experiment with different configurations, here's something that may be of use. Try plugging your DAC directly into your amp instead of going through the XMC1. To control volume, use your music player software or the gain controls on your amp. I can't say for sure, but there's a good chance doing this will be an improvement in sound quality.

Yes, sorry. If you're not familiar with HQ Player, the idea is that you have a powerful computer doing the conversion and upsampling, and then send the signal via ethernet to a barebones device that passes the signal to the DAC via USB. The upsampled signal bypasses the DAC's internal upsampling filters. To my ears this is the cleanest, sweetest, most analogue-like digital I have heard yet, and I've tried most of the playback software out there. But this isn't an ad for HQ Player, just a suggestion that you can get better digital on a budget--and that decent digital, like decent vinyl, takes some fiddling. :-)

I see, thanks, did you find you the type of USB cable made much difference? Regarding your vinyl rig, you definitely need a better deck to get the most from your LP's. Back in the day, I started with a Rega deck and upgraded to a Pink Triangle PT Too, which is no longer made but prolly equivalent to 5000-10000USD now, the difference is akin to watching a concert on TV and actually being at the concert.

I see, thanks, did you find you the type of USB cable made much difference? Regarding your vinyl rig, you definitely need a better deck to get the most from your LP's. Back in the day, I started with a Rega deck and upgraded to a Pink Triangle PT Too, which is no longer made but prolly equivalent to 5000-10000USD now, the difference is akin to watching a concert on TV and actually being at the concert.

I *think* USB cables make a difference. :-). I use the Supra, it seems cleaner and more open, haven't been able to bring myself to spend more than that yet.

The Rega is a pretty cheerful little deck, and has sounded much better in the past. I think my phono pre is the culprit. I only have a shelf of LPs left and my wife is happy if the system sounds lively and sweet. Not sure if I really want to get too heavily into LPs at this point. So many new things in digital I'd rather listen to. But I might consider it. :-)

If you're the type that likes to experiment with different configurations, here's something that may be of use. Try plugging your DAC directly into your amp instead of going through the XMC1. To control volume, use your music player software or the gain controls on your amp. I can't say for sure, but there's a good chance doing this will be an improvement in sound quality.

Haven't tried that exactly, but I did try using the iFi's vol control feed directly into my amps and the gain wasn't enough. Good idea though and I'll give it a shot.

I *think* USB cables make a difference. :-). I use the Supra, it seems cleaner and more open, haven't been able to bring myself to spend more than that yet.

The Rega is a pretty cheerful little deck, and has sounded much better in the past. I think my phono pre is the culprit. I only have a shelf of LPs left and my wife is happy if the system sounds lively and sweet. Not sure if I really want to get too heavily into LPs at this point. So many new things in digital I'd rather listen to. But I might consider it. :-)

+1 Zach. My pre is def the weakest link, but, like you said, "So many new things in Digital..." New/better pre or dac is where I am right now...and strangely, I'm thinking about a new dac so there you are ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Haven't tried that exactly, but I did try using the iFi's vol control feed directly into my amps and the gain wasn't enough. Good idea though and I'll give it a shot.

+1 Zach. My pre is def the weakest link, but, like you said, "So many new things in Digital..." New/better pre or dac is where I am right now...and strangely, I'm thinking about a new dac so there you are ;)

Indeed! For a phono pre, I was looking today at the Aikido Phono kit. I'm a DIYer and built a version of the Aikido line pre and thought it was very good. For $199 it might fill the bill.

For a DAC I have my eye on the Chord 2Qut. WhatHiFi.com raved about it, and everything I have bought based on their reviews has been exactly as they described, to a T. I love the irDAC, also bought based on their review. The only reason I want to upgrade is to get higher upsampling rates and DSD. I wish you could hear the irDAC. For the money ($700) it is exceptional--liquid, clean and extremely musical, never ever fatiguing. I always look forward to listening. Everyone who's heard it at my place agrees it's a great piece of equipment.

PS. If you buy it from Amazon ($665) youi can return it in 30 days for the cost of return shipping, no questions asked.

Indeed! For a phono pre, I was looking today at the Aikido Phono kit. I'm a DIYer and built a version of the Aikido line pre and thought it was very good. For $199 it might fill the bill.

Just saw a recent build thread on diyaudio for a tube phono circuit, low power.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Did you have the gain adjustments on your amp at full volume? They should provide you with more than enough volume.

As to USB cables save your money and spend it on some great sounding CDs or HDA downloads. Many of the best EE designers and studio engineers will tell you that with a decent DAC any sturdy USB cable is fine. Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice with get you what you need for under $10. A quote from John Siau, designer of Benchmarks DAC-2, a Stereophile Class A+ rated DAC.

"This is John Siau, VP and Director of Engineering at Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

I can confirm that we do not recommend purchasing high-priced USB, AES, or Optical cables to achieve an improvement in the sound.

When we introduced the DAC1 in 2002 we published detailed FFT plots that compared the performance of the DAC1 connected with two different cables: Cable 1 was a high-quality 2-foot long balanced AES cable and Cable 2 was 1000 feet of CAT 5e cable. Both produced the same results at the output of the DAC1 because the DAC1 has near-perfect jitter attenuation (see page 36 of the DAC1 manual). This plot confirms that the sound did not change when 1000 feet of generic CAT 5e wire replaced the short high-quality AES cable.

However, I should point out that the 1000 foot cable really put the DAC1 jitter attenuation system to the test. This is demonstrated by the eye-pattern plot on page 29 of the same manual. This plot shows that the 100 foot cable caused significant attenuation and distortion of the waveform that was carrying the digital information. In spite of this distortion, the DAC1 was able to recover all of the bits and was able to fully attenuate the clock jitter that was induced by the long low-quality cable. see Manuals - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Bottom line – A fancy digital cable may improve the shape of the waveform that carries the digital data, but if the DAC is well-designed the cable will not change the analog waveform exiting the DAC. On the other hand, if the DAC is not well-designed, a long, low-quality digital cable may cause changes at the analog outputs."

More from Mark Waldrep, owner and engineer of AIX HDA recordings and others.

The Cable Controversy..Spins On | Real HD-Audio

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

In quoting this it is clear that you do not understand what was/is going on with respect to ASRC. It might behoove you to study up a bit before you preach to the masses anymore...

As to USB cables save your money and spend it on some great sounding CDs or HDA downloads. Many of the best EE designers and studio engineers will tell you that with a decent DAC any sturdy USB cable is fine. Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice with get you what you need for under $10. A quote from John Siau, designer of Benchmarks DAC-2, a Stereophile Class A+ rated DAC.

"This is John Siau, VP and Director of Engineering at Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

I can confirm that we do not recommend purchasing high-priced USB, AES, or Optical cables to achieve an improvement in the sound.

When we introduced the DAC1 in 2002 we published detailed FFT plots that compared the performance of the DAC1 connected with two different cables: Cable 1 was a high-quality 2-foot long balanced AES cable and Cable 2 was 1000 feet of CAT 5e cable. Both produced the same results at the output of the DAC1 because the DAC1 has near-perfect jitter attenuation (see page 36 of the DAC1 manual). This plot confirms that the sound did not change when 1000 feet of generic CAT 5e wire replaced the short high-quality AES cable.

However, I should point out that the 1000 foot cable really put the DAC1 jitter attenuation system to the test. This is demonstrated by the eye-pattern plot on page 29 of the same manual. This plot shows that the 100 foot cable caused significant attenuation and distortion of the waveform that was carrying the digital information. In spite of this distortion, the DAC1 was able to recover all of the bits and was able to fully attenuate the clock jitter that was induced by the long low-quality cable. see Manuals - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Bottom line – A fancy digital cable may improve the shape of the waveform that carries the digital data, but if the DAC is well-designed the cable will not change the analog waveform exiting the DAC. On the other hand, if the DAC is not well-designed, a long, low-quality digital cable may cause changes at the analog outputs."

More from Mark Waldrep, owner and engineer of AIX HDA recordings and others.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

In quoting this it is clear that you do not understand what was/is going on with respect to ASRC. It might behoove you to study up a bit before you preach to the masses anymore...

It is interesting that so many who are so skeptical about so much accept with so little question the marketing patter for this particular ASRC DAC. When Benchmark put out the next revision of its DAC, it used async USB input rather than ASRC. So after Benchmark has moved on from its "nearly perfect" jitter rejection to what I suppose they consider "even more perfect" jitter rejection, people are still recycling their outdated marketing. Benchmark has not called attention to this; I think if they did, it would actually hurt their market position as a "DAC a skeptic can love" (see also the fact that their DAC accepts DSD input vs. their public anti-DSD stance).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

John Siau is clearly a VERY capable designer and marketer. But his marketing language disguises his personal preferences as engineering "facts". I have nothing against him or his products, just the way that he presents every choice he makes for his products as the only logical and best choice available.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I was thinking something similar when reading Jud's last post. No one seems to question any type of cable testing when the results are similar to what the reader wishes them to be. Sal1950 says:

"As to USB cables save your money and spend it on some great sounding CDs or HDA downloads. Many of the best EE designers and studio engineers will tell you that with a decent DAC any sturdy USB cable is fine."

I don't know how you would go about deciding who the best EE's are, but many is not all. Your statement implies that some best EE's don't agree with your comment. More importantly, were talking about USB cables here. The test results posted were for AES and CAT5e. Did you just miss that, or are we supposed to assume that USB cables will yield the same test results?

When Benchmark put out the next revision of its DAC, it used async USB input rather than ASRC. So after Benchmark has moved on from its "nearly perfect" jitter rejection to what I suppose they consider "even more perfect" jitter rejection, people are still recycling their outdated marketing..

And their DAC is still one of those that perform better with Toslink than USB:

Benchmark DAC2 HGC D/A processor/headphone amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

Probably due to the good jitter rejection capability of ESS Sabre's S/PDIF receiver DPLL. (and lack of USB isolation?)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

And their DAC is still one of those that perform better with Toslink than USB:

Benchmark DAC2 HGC D/A processor/headphone amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

Probably due to the good jitter rejection capability of ESS Sabre's S/PDIF receiver DPLL. (and lack of USB isolation?)

Maybe they didn't test with a sufficiently good USB cable. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was thinking something similar when reading Jud's last post. No one seems to question any type of cable testing when the results are similar to what the reader wishes them to be. Sal1950 says:

"As to USB cables save your money and spend it on some great sounding CDs or HDA downloads. Many of the best EE designers and studio engineers will tell you that with a decent DAC any sturdy USB cable is fine."

I don't know how you would go about deciding who the best EE's are, but many is not all. Your statement implies that some best EE's don't agree with your comment. More importantly, were talking about USB cables here. The test results posted were for AES and CAT5e. Did you just miss that, or are we supposed to assume that USB cables will yield the same test results?

Well I know for sure it's not you or Jud or any other of the subjective audiophiles squealing here. If any of you had the professional credentials in the engineering or recording industry that John or Mark have, your "opinions" might carry more weight. As it stands the remarks here are just amateur opinions

Did you miss the first line of John's quote?

"I can confirm that we do not recommend purchasing high-priced USB, AES, or Optical cables to achieve an improvement in the sound."

Yep, that's in reference to the DAC2, currently a Stereophile's Class A+ Recommended Component.

When you design and market a component that even makes a Class D spot on the list and is a highly successful product in the audiophile market, then you too can make truly informed recommendations on connecting cables and equipment design.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Well I know for sure it's not you or Jud or any other of the subjective audiophiles squealing here. If any of you had the professional credentials in the engineering or recording industry that John or Mark have, your "opinions" might carry more weight. As it stands the remarks here are just amateur opinions

Did you miss the first line of John's quote?

"I can confirm that we do not recommend purchasing high-priced USB, AES, or Optical cables to achieve an improvement in the sound."

Yep, that's in reference to the DAC2, currently a Stereophile's Class A+ Recommended Component.

When you design and market a component that even makes a Class D spot on the list and is a highly successful product in the audiophile market, then you too can make truly informed recommendations on connecting cables and equipment design.

As to the first part of your response, I agree. The only problem here is that you don't take your own advice. But John's quote is out of the manual, and that makes it a sales piece. Most, if not all people, will download and read the manual before they buy the DAC. Because of that, its written to sell the product just as much as it is used to train the owner on how to use it. What really makes this whole thing so odd, is that barring the first couple of sentences of your post, you pulled all that info out of an owners manual for a product you don't own, and never heard (You'll say otherwise, of course.). Then you quote from your bible (Stereophile), for more info. If you want to post and have others respect you, maybe you should come up with some information on your own, instead of relying on others to speak for you. Its embarrassing.

As to the first part of your response, I agree. The only problem here is that you don't take your own advice. But John's quote is out of the manual, and that makes it a sales piece. Most, if not all people, will download and read the manual before they buy the DAC. Because of that, its written to sell the product just as much as it is used to train the owner on how to use it. What really makes this whole thing so odd, is that barring the first couple of sentences of your post, you pulled all that info out of an owners manual for a product you don't own, and never heard (You'll say otherwise, of course.). Then you quote from your bible (Stereophile), for more info. If you want to post and have others respect you, maybe you should come up with some information on your own, instead of relying on others to speak for you. Its embarrassing.

I have nothing to be embarrassed about, you are making the the engineering claims. Like you, I have no real technical knowledge, so I posted the words of a real, HIGHLY RESPECTED, digital engineer. As such I believe its you who should be embarrassed for running off on something you know nothing about.

BTW, I did not copy that out of any manual. It was posted personally by John in the comments section of Marks blog. Once again your yapping about something you didn't do your homework on. I posted the link to where that came from in the original post. But I'll remind you so you check out my claim.

By the way, if you'd like to get the opinion on digital cables from another REAL engineer

watch this video. You'll get a real laugh out of it! Well, maybe not. :-(

ROTFLMAO- And this stops you how?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

ROTFLMAO- And this stops you how?

Et tu, Brute? Already posted to CR250, I've made no claims at all, only posted links to information from qualified, respected, engineers.

"Like you, I have no real technical knowledge, so I posted the words of a real, HIGHLY RESPECTED, digital engineer."

OK. But what if my HIGHLY RESPECTED, digital engineer has a different opinion than your HIGHLY RESPECTED, digital engineer? Who gets to be right then? Maybe you should write to Stereophile and see if they can tell you what to think. Or maybe check to see which one of our HIGHLY RESPECTED, digital engineer's has the highest letter ratings in the recommended components list.