IGNORED

Music that almost brings a tear....

Robbie Robertson's "Sign of the Rainbow" (from "Storyville" album). Everytime I listen to that song, it touches my soul... I can't describe it. Like a beam of light from the Universe that, for a short moment, tells untold dreams and then leaves me back to my solitude. But that moment reflects a portion of eternity.

Alain

For me a couple of recent tears over

The Gift by Chris Gero - brings back a reflection of emotional moments in ones life. I actually found this one playing a Nathan East album Found in the credits. Thank you Roon and Tidal...

Another would be Alfie Boe singing Bring Him Home - just reminds me completely about my son who has Downs Syndrome and is the most special person in my life....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

For non-classical music, only a couple really jump out: Alison Krauss, "Ghost In This House", Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me".

Any number of opera arias, though - "Senza mamma" (Suor Angelica), "Tu, tu, piccolo iddio" (Madama Butterfly), "La mamma morta" (Andrea Chenier), at least 20 more I could list if I gave it enough time. Nothing brings me to tears like opera.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

For non-classical music, only a couple really jump out: Alison Krauss, "Ghost In This House", Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me".

Any number of opera arias, though - "Senza mamma" (Suor Angelica), "Tu, tu, piccolo iddio" (Madama Butterfly), "La mamma morta" (Andrea Chenier), at least 20 more I could list if I gave it enough time. Nothing brings me to tears like opera.

Slightly OT but I'm more interested in systems that allow the emotion of the music to shine through so was wondering do both your systems reproduce the emotion in the music and if not what would you put that down to? Cheers

Slightly OT but I'm more interested in systems that allow the emotion of the music to shine through so was wondering do both your systems reproduce the emotion in the music and if not what would you put that down to? Cheers

For me, the quality of the system is totally irrelevant when it comes to eliciting emotion - I've cried to a staticky, FM-radio Met broadcast in a 1976 Ford Fairmont :) and listening to Alison Krauss over a Bluetooth speaker in a hotel in Krakow elicits exactly the same emotion as listening over my headphone system at home.

I do enjoy listening to a quality system, but it's more an intellectual thing than emotional to me.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

For me, the quality of the system is totally irrelevant when it comes to eliciting emotion - I've cried to a staticky, FM-radio Met broadcast in a 1976 Ford Fairmont :) and listening to Alison Krauss over a Bluetooth speaker in a hotel in Krakow elicits exactly the same emotion as listening over my headphone system at home.

I do enjoy listening to a quality system, but it's more an intellectual thing than emotional to me.

+1. The music will always have prevalence over any other qualitative perception.

Alain

Two pieces that are most emotive for me are the adagietto from Mahler 5, and Ave Verum Corpus. I performed the Mozart with a local choir and it took a lot of practices before the tenor section could hold it together long enough to finish the piece. That just has to be the most be beautiful music ever written.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Thelonius Monk, Standards, redbook CD, XLD conversion AIFF 44.1/16, stereo. One can sense his infirmity infused in his playing these standards. It's palpable and highly emotional. And at the same time uniquely Monk and brilliant, unorthodox, stylized as only Monk can play. One feels his humanity, a genius at the piano, mistreated medically, lauded musically. There is no standard for his standards save the one he creates in inimitable style. Getz played right before his death and Bill Evans, before his death, and one can feel their illness and their brilliance. Sad and glorious all in the same time signature.

Best,

Richard

image.jpeg

+1. The music will always have prevalence over any other qualitative perception.

Different strokes different folks I guess... I'm talking about music that I've never heard before eliciting emotion not some familiar recording and past association. If a system is not hi resolution I can't hear the emotion coming through.

Different strokes different folks I guess... I'm talking about music that I've never heard before eliciting emotion not some familiar recording and past association. If a system is not hi resolution I can't hear the emotion coming through.

It is a well-established fact that human emotions can only be communicated above 22.05 kHz.

I'm not really much into classical except for an occasional piece here and there. However Barber's Adagio For Strings touches my emotions every time I hear it. Within the music I can sense all the sadness, all the greatness, all the loss and all the hope of mankind.

JC

And then Tiësto's take on the Adagio....goosebumps.

Hi Rexp,

Since English is not my prime language, sometimes I have trouble correctly dosing a thought. I remember when I was young and was listening to pop rock on an AM radio. I was enthusiast and was not aware about high fidelity. As time passed I got interested into getting better components, but money was rare.

It took all those years before I could start to think I was in a certain direction towards hi-fi, but I always struggle to remond myself that I am doing this for music first, then with the belief that it will increase my pleasure in listening. There are songs I can't find under at least a CD format (MP3 available only) and I keep them because of their emotional value. But again, I will try to find them through a better format.

The beauty lies in the eye of the beholder :)

Regards,

Alain

. . .

The beauty lies in the eye of the beholder :)

Regards,

"There is no excellent beauty that doth not have some strangeness in the proportion"

Francis Bacon

We all see beauty as the one thing in life that we don't possess. I weep in humility at the towering genius of Mozart.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I don't know what it is about this song but almost every time I hear it, it brings tears to my eyes:

"The Babysitter's Here" by Dar Williams.

She does a few versions, all pretty similar but the one that really gets me is the version from her "Many Great Companions" cd, CD 1 of 2.

This is a live version that gets very close, although the audience laughter is a little distracting:

Mahler Symphony#2 finale wow

+1, of course!