IGNORED

Copland Ballet suites etc in high(ish) res.

Really excellent SQ on this new recording from Chandos: https://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHSA%205164

I think it might be the first hi res version of these pieces, excepting the Bernstein SACD transfers? Perhaps surprising it's "only" recorded in 24/96 when some other Chandos SACDs at least are native DSD.

I love this music, saw it the other day and intended to d/l. Thanks for reminding me.

From the previews, all sounded promising other than Hoedown, where the orchestra displays a very British sense of this traditional dance rhythm from the American West; it feels to me as if they're trying to catch up with the beat. But overall I am really looking forward to it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Really excellent SQ on this new recording from Chandos: https://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHSA%205164

I think it might be the first hi res version of these pieces, excepting the Bernstein SACD transfers? Perhaps surprising it's "only" recorded in 24/96 when some other Chandos SACDs at least are native DSD.

Very nice - if you like these, there's also a recent 24/96 release from the Colorado Symphony Orchestra / Litton and a DSD64 redo of the famous Detroit Symphony recording with Slatkin. All of them sound great and are great fun :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Billy the kid is available in SACD from acousticsounds, transferred from RCA living stereo recordings; and also from a few other sources in hi-res. As are Appalachian Spring and Rodeo.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have this physical CD from MTT and like it very much.

811Mb826ByL._SY355_.jpg

Interesting if the high resolution Chandos version will be better in the performance? What I can see unique, is the fact that Chandos releases all of the most favorite Copland's music on one album IMHO.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have the Redbook from Reference Recordings of Copland. Also a very good recording.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have the Redbook from Reference Recordings of Copland. Also a very good recording.

Is that the "chamber" version? If so, I have the LP. Great sound quality of course, but I miss the big dynamics a full orchestra can provide.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

As this is styled "Copland Orchestral Works Volume 1" I hope that promises good things for future Chandos releases , especially Symphony 3.

I have and like both the Oregon Symphony recording on Pentatone and an old Detroit Symphony RB on Chandos, but another hi res version would be welcome.