IGNORED

Introduction--Looking to Upgrade DAC

I've been reading good things about the Opera Consonance Don Curzio recently.

Quite cheap in relation to your budget but it compares quite favourably apparently.

It has a Class A output stage which I find has far more relevance to sound quality than whatever DAC chip is the latest fashion!

I've been reading good things about the Opera Consonance Don Curzio recently.

Quite cheap in relation to your budget but it compares quite favourably apparently.

It has a Class A output stage which I find has far more relevance to sound quality than whatever DAC chip is the latest fashion!

Only found one blurb, but it was quite positive.

Do you know what kind of sound you like? There are so many DAC options out there each having their own sound and design. Within your price range there are still a large number of options - SS, Tubes, Chip manufacturer, etc. I would recommend you look closely at the power supply design. The better designed DACs take very good care of the power quality.

Getting a demo is the best possible approach - auditioning the DAC "in your setup". However, don't pull the trigger just yet. Listen to a few more demos and see what the different sounds are like in your setup.

Do take a look at Resonessence Labs. They have a great knowledge of the Sabre design and their DACs have been getting positive reviews. Prices are also in your budget.

Good luck!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Wonderful news. Enjoy. I had the 105D as my digital source, spinning SACD, Blu-Ray Audio, and DVD-A, constantly. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and it is a very good machine. That said, playing rips via the W4S DAC-2 DSD SE showed a significant improvement here--with my ears--and my rig. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure with this stuff. I had the good fortune to have a local friend with a setup that just sounded spectacular. Essentially all I did was emulate his rig. That made things a lot simpler this time around with upgrading.

I'm a member of the San Francisco Audiophile Society, and a DAC shotout event is being held February 20th. Some 10 to 15 DACs are being compared, many surprisingly affordable. Pretty sure some notes on the results of that shootout will be posted in the forums. If you are still deciding on a DAC by then, maybe keep your eyes peeled for that post, or ping me. Might be useful info.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

Wonderful news. Enjoy. I had the 105D as my digital source, spinning SACD, Blu-Ray Audio, and DVD-A, constantly. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and it is a very good machine. That said, playing rips via the W4S DAC-2 DSD SE showed a significant improvement here--with my ears--and my rig. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure with this stuff. I had the good fortune to have a local friend with a setup that just sounded spectacular. Essentially all I did was emulate his rig. That made things a lot simpler this time around with upgrading.

I'm a member of the San Francisco Audiophile Society, and a DAC shotout event is being held February 20th. Some 10 to 15 DACs are being compared, many surprisingly affordable. Pretty sure some notes on the results of that shootout will be posted in the forums. If you are still deciding on a DAC by then, maybe keep your eyes peeled for that post, or ping me. Might be useful info.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The DAC shootout sounds like a great event! I don't think I can attend, but really look forward to hearing the results. Do you know which DACs will be compared?

Do you know what kind of sound you like? There are so many DAC options out there each having their own sound and design. Within your price range there are still a large number of options - SS, Tubes, Chip manufacturer, etc. I would recommend you look closely at the power supply design. The better designed DACs take very good care of the power quality.

Getting a demo is the best possible approach - auditioning the DAC "in your setup". However, don't pull the trigger just yet. Listen to a few more demos and see what the different sounds are like in your setup.

Do take a look at Resonessence Labs. They have a great knowledge of the Sabre design and their DACs have been getting positive reviews. Prices are also in your budget.

Good luck!

I like an accurate sound. I'm not looking for a DAC to act as a tone control. At the same time it obviously needs to not add digital artifacts which detract from musicality.

Just a word of caution on the "pro" DACs out there - they can sound a bit "Stop Start" favoring an analytical sound that is meant for the studio engineer to listen into the recording. So while accuracy is an ideal you should listen to it for an extended period of time to see if you like it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Just a word of caution on the "pro" DACs out there - they can sound a bit "Stop Start" favoring an analytical sound that is meant for the studio engineer to listen into the recording. So while accuracy is an ideal you should listen to it for an extended period of time to see if you like it.

Isn't this what everyone is searching for with hi-end equipment? Come as close as possible to the recording session or the live concert? Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
The T+A DAC looks interesting. I've read about their preamps, which get pretty good reviews. Pretty odd name for an audio company--not comfortable searching for reviews at work! I'll check them out and add them to the list. I haven't really looked at Bryston--don't know why, but that brand hasn't really hit my radar.

Thanks!

I have a Bryston BDA-2, and I would recommend you take a listen. Very solid. I'm looking forward to auditioning the BDA-3.

JJinPDX

Since DACs are more computerized do the $2,000 DACs really sound better than say $200.00 ones or 400.00 ones?

Or is it mostly the box, connectors and features that drive the cost up?

Do they also reverse it? meaning can they all go from Digital to analog and also Analog to digital?

Since DACs are more computerized do the $2,000 DACs really sound better than say $200.00 ones or 400.00 ones?

Do they also reverse it? meaning can they all go from Digital to analog and also Analog to digital?

I'd hoped that all the hoopla around DACs was just that. Unfortunately they do make a difference based on my comparison of 3-4. Fortunately they make music more enjoyable, and for less than $900 I'm quite happy with my selection.

And all automobiles use an energy source to power wheels that turn and carry us down a road.

*DAC = Digital to Analog Converter, not vice versa - that's an ADC.

And all automobiles use an energy source to power wheels that turn and carry us down a road.

*DAC = Digital to Analog Converter, not vice versa - that's an ADC.

Hey Dork, did you someone drop you on your head?

Don't get get smug with me, bugger off someplace else for that.