IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

Well I am using a Bryston BDP-2 as my "PC". From the Bryston to the Intona to my PS Direct Stream Dac connected via CC cables I am getting glorious sound! Much better than previously with 2 Regens or with one Regen before or after the Intona. I also tried the new iFi iUSB 3.0 alone and before the Intona but, I still like the Intona solo. However, the iFi worked good when I just had the Regens.

I have also owned the Shiit Wyrd (useless) and some AQ Jitterbugs (not needed with present set up).

Now, I just received the Intona a few days ago so I don't know if it has the update that has been talked about but it works flawlessly with my set up.

I may try connecting the Intona closer to the Bryston usb with a short Curious link or the Hard adapter just to satisfy my curiosity.

Using the Intona by itself is better than having a Regen in the chain. But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

Well I am using a Bryston BDP-2 as my "PC". From the Bryston to the Intona to my PS Direct Stream Dac connected via CC cables I am getting glorious sound! Much better than previously with 2 Regens or with one Regen before or after the Intona. I also tried the new iFi iUSB 3.0 alone and before the Intona but, I still like the Intona solo. However, the iFi worked good when I just had the Regens.

I have also owned the Shiit Wyrd (useless) and some AQ Jitterbugs (not needed with present set up).

Now, I just received the Intona a few days ago so I don't know if it has the update that has been talked about but it works flawlessly with my set up.

I may try connecting the Intona closer to the Bryston usb with a short Curious link or the Hard adapter just to satisfy my curiosity.

Using the Intona by itself is better than having a Regen in the chain. But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

Hello westy,

Welcome to the thread. Thank you for your comparison with configuration and connections information to help us understand the makeup of your system for which you are providing the comparison.

My experience is limited to the RUR and the Regen, but I believe shortly, you may read a post from a member who has just assembled that combo of Intona and RUR with the results to follow.

Thank you for dropping by

Enjoy the music,

Richard

But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

I have two Intonas. I will be trying the Intona/RUR combo in my desktop system at work shortly (RUR is arriving tomorrow, but I will be burning it in for a while before doing any critical listening) and I will also try them separately.

The Intona is terrific in my work setup and I am very happy with the SQ upgrade it brings.

My Intona at home is not working with my Berkeley Alpha USB, so I won't be able to do a comparison yet at home, but Daniel is going to mail a field programmer to me so I can update the firmware myself. Daniel believes the Berkeley will work after I update the Intona's firmware.

To his credit, Daniel is also extending the return period.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I have two Intonas. I will be trying the Intona/RUR combo in my desktop system at work shortly (RUR is arriving tomorrow, but I will be burning it in for a while before doing any critical listening) and I will also try them separately.

The Intona is terrific in my work setup and I am very happy with the SQ upgrade it brings.

My Intona at home is not working with my Berkeley Alpha USB, so I won't be able to do a comparison yet at home, but Daniel is going to mail a field programmer to me so I can update the firmware myself. Daniel believes the Berkeley will work after I update the Intona's firmware.

To his credit, Daniel is also extending the return period.

Hello Blake,

Thank you for stepping right in there. To westy, Your Universe is programmed to assist you. Just ask and as Matthew was known to say, It shall be given you.

Look forward to discovering what Blake assesses with the RUR and Intona USB Isolator or (IUI). How's that for a combo, RURIUI?

To be continued,

Richard

Blake,

That's too bad, the Intona solo is really the way to go.

I hope you can eventually compare the Intona solo to the Intona+ RUR combo.

If not, I may have to buy the RUR myself!...

Hello again,

Given my experience with the RUR, that would be a plus for you, I will predict, at least with the RUR in standalone, that you could not do any better. And if better includes the combo, then we will all learn something as it what works with your system and the results as you described them. I am just as curious if it should come from you.

RURready?

Best,

Richard

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

Hello JW Audio,

Welcome to the thread. Sorry to learn of your troubles. Your experience with the Recovery would also be useful to the Recovery thread where the focus is on the Recovery, Configurations, connections and discussions.

Of course, you post where you wish. It's just that while this is a comparison thread for member users of similar devices and how they compare to each other, members who read the Recovery thread may not know about your issue with the Bifrost Dac and the Recovery.

If you care to post a brief assessment of your issue at the Recovery thread it will appreciated.

Your experience of EJ Sarmento has been my experience since 2011 when I first started in computer audio and purchase the Wyred4Sound Dac2, STP-SE preamp and SX1000 X2 mono blocks. I have enjoyed the customer relationship with EJ ever since. He stands by his products, offers the best customer service imaginable, and as a designer/innovator is an expert in his field. I'd even call him a genius. I have since upgraded all those components available for upgrades, i.e. The Dac 2 to Dac2 DSDse and the STP-SE to Stage 2. The SX1000 X2 remain as is and as is, is about as good as it gets, in my opinion. I leave them "on" 24/7 since 2011. Not one problem ever.

If you care to drop by the Recovery thread and let the readers know about your situation just in case they are not aware because they haven't read your experience posted in this thread with the Recovery and the Bifrost Dac.

In any case, good fortune with your problem. Hope EJ can get you "fixed" as the Recovery is as good as it gets in my opinion compared to my experience with the Regen.

Best,

Richard

Ouch, that isn't good news. Perhaps I won't be trying it out with my Bifrost Multibit (Bimby). I shall find out soon enough...

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Evo666, BTW I just tried connecting the Intona with a short Curious cable near the source end and the longer Curious cable into the Dac as you suggested and didn't hear any difference, at least with my equipment.

Hi Westy, it was swapping the short curious cable, for the Regen hard adapter, at the PC to Intona end of the chain. I prefer the hard adapter into the Intona, than the CC short cable....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

My RUR arrived, I opened it up and tried to install it in my work setup with my Schiit BiFrost Multibit and unfortunately it looks like I am in the same boat as JW Audio. With the RUR installed, my PC cannot detect my DAC.

I called W4S and spoke with Tony. He confirmed they are seeing some issues with the RUR/Schiit DAC's, in that the Schiit DAC's are asking for too much power and the RUR will then not perform the handshake. They have a new updated board that will solve these issues and they will be mailing my new RUR to me next week.

I received my RUR today. Out of the box I am pleased. I will give it time before further comment.

Note: RUR needs to have 5v power in from USB cable. I had to remove the tape from my 200mm CC power pin.

2012 Mini > 0.8m CC > Intona > 200mm CC > RUR > 200mm CC > Off-Ramp 5 > AES/EBU > SFD2 MKIII

I've received and email from W4S about the problems with the Bifrost dac. Here it is.

"Hi John,

I thought I’d email you with an update: on further investigation, we believe the issue lies with some DACs (including Schiit) which draw larger amounts of power from the USB port than others, thereby causing the Recovery to go into internal protect mode which consequently breaks the connection from computer to DAC. Since learning of this issue we have come up with an updated Recovery board that will work with these larger power demands, thus eliminating the issue. We are currently running through final testing on this revised version and they should be ready next week.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out next week to those in this situation and include a return label to ship yours back, so you can finally enjoy the Recovery with our thanks. Hopefully you find that agreeable. If so, can I get your original order #?

Thanks,

Tony

PS, regarding Schiit DACs, we found an FAQ on their website (http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems) which is interesting in that it recognizes a potential known issue with their DACs and requiring too much USB power. They suggest inserting a powered USB hub between computer and DAC (coincidentally, we have a customer in the same boat as you who tried a USB hub and in fact, it ended up working with the Recovery), however, we don’t really view that as an ideal solution and the revised Recovery won’t need it."

Think they might have a grip on it now. One thing that concerns me is having to take the tape off the +&- of the USB cable. That is an improvement that I like with using the Regen. I will post my discovery and comparison once I receive the new Recovery.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

RUR arrived yesterday. Installed in lieu of REGEN (see sig). Did not work; LEDs would not come on, DAC was not recognized, no music.

However, if REGEN is left in the chain upstream of RUR, everything works. But that does not allow for a comparison.

Have contacted Wyred 4 Sound support and await their answer.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

RUR arrived yesterday. Installed in lieu of REGEN (see sig). Did not work; LEDs would not come on, DAC was not recognized, no music.

However, if REGEN is left in the chain upstream of RUR, everything works. But that does not allow for a comparison.

Hello Guidof,

Welcome to the thread. There's good news along the way, as you must be aware of by now. The threads re Recovery and this one are well documented with what is the cause and what is the solutions and how fast that can be fixed, and what to do to expedite the matter.

So fear not, if you have already taken the steps to get this problem remedied by W4S, you soon have the RUR for your comparison.

Best,

Richard

I ordered an RUR yesterday and it arrived today. I live in SoCal, but that is still pretty sweet.

Music was already playing and all I did was hit pause on the Aries remote, remove the Regen and its ps, and insert the RUR and its ps. Pressed play and... music played. I figured something would need to be restarted, but no.

Sounds really nice, but unfamiliar music is playing and I will do the break-in thing before fretting over it.

Signal chain is Aries>Curious .8>RUR>CCRL>Vega

238af795fd9f8cf0f08ad2dccd8d038c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Tony Holt of W4S confirms that the RUR needs USB power in order to function. My RUR is now operational. I shall report on comparisons with the REGEN after a reasonable brake-in period.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Received the Recovery unit today.

First I tried to hook it up so that its signal was feeding the Intona, but no power, no signal.

So, now I have it connected the other way. That is, with the Intona feeding its signal to the Recovery. So far so good. I will now listen to the sound quality in this manner for a few days before I separate the units and try them each solo. I'll be starting with the Recovery first.

I am working that combo. Yet, the RUR is only 1 hour into break in. I have curios cable to intona to curious "Regen" to RUR to generic usb a/b (6 inches) long to the dac.

All are well broken in but the RUR.

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

As a side note, I had no hookup problems with this combo. Ironically, I did have problems with the Regen unit.

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Received the Recovery unit today.

First I tried to hook it up so that its signal was feeding the Intona, but no power, no signal.

So, now I have it connected the other way. That is, with the Intona feeding its signal to the Recovery. So far so good. I will now listen to the sound quality in this manner for a few days before I separate the units and try them each solo. I'll be starting with the Recovery first.

You know, I just changed mine to the Intona feeding the RUR. I initially set up with the RUR FEEDING THE INTONA As I thought the low output of the Intona would not drive the RUR as it has been stated that the recovery needs USB power. However, as you, I have it flowing music.

A lot of variables to test. Many may not have a universal answer as the set up seems quite finicky in some systems.

You know, I just changed mine to the Intona feeding the RUR. I initially set up with the RUR FEEDING THE INTONA As I thought the low output of the Intona would not drive the RUR as it has been stated that the recovery needs USB power. However, as you, I have it flowing music.

A lot of variables to test. Many may not have a universal answer as the set up seems quite finicky in some systems.

In my experience that does not involve more than one device at a time, the RUR thrives on 9V. But that assessment is up to you. I just returned the AQJB X2 to the Full Loom CC to the Recovery and then removed one and posted my review at the Recovery thread.

Thank you for the variety of connections when employing multiple device in line.

Best,

Richard