IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

Well what a busy world the USB space is indeed! So many new products, willing victims, or shall we call them pioneers? Or maybe we are all just trying to maximise that last ounce of musicality from our music systems, regardless of the cost? I am sure the detractors of USB have already penned thoughts, but REShaman has already made the context and direction of these well curated thread clear; so go on rain on someone else's parade.....

Ok let's give some background I was a fairly early adopter of Uptone Audio products, the JS2 and MMK fan kit for a 2012 late Mac Mini was one of my remarkable first steps in my most recent digital journey. I have already been through the streaming route in my previous lives; another story for sure.

I also was an early adopter of the Regen in both the green and amber versions. In fact I now have two Amber Regens.

I used to run both Amber Regens in serial fashion - I liked the initial change the Regen brought to the musical party. I have always run the Regens from the JS2, with a bespoke DC cable with Y adapter, that the most courteous Alex Crespi manufactured for me. I did use the original Meanwell SMPS with my first Regen, but I found it intolerable to listen longer than a few tracks with the Meanwell. The problem with the standard supply/supplies is one in which, if you have a well constructed and excellent performing linear supply already, like a JS2, any SMPS Walmart type supply is going to sound pretty rubbishy.....you have already been spoilt by the better supply. I think this applies regardless of the resolving and expense of the system. It's all about synergy listening to your system with the music playing - you will know the answer yourself, regardless of the time and money you may have spent.

A few months ago, I cottoned on to the reviews/heresay around the Internet on the Curious Cables from Rob Woodland - with Rob's money back guarantee around his cables - I thought what the hell.....I ended up with two CC links for both Regens, and an 80 cm USB cable. Let's call it the CC Full Loom+. The Curious cables sounded so right from the off, I have explained the effect they have in another thread, but they add a dimension to the sound, which makes listening so damn addictive and enjoyable for hours on end. I even forgot the burn in hours and just listened to the music

In recent weeks I accidentally on purpose purchased the Intona USB device. One it intrigued the geek inside me, two it reminded me of early Mac/PC construction in the 90's, and three, it was garnering favourable forum reviews/interest on a number of audiophile forums. Now with my Antelope DAC setup, I haven't yet managed to get the Intona running directly between my Mac mini and DAC; without my Regen being in the chain before the DAC. I have exchanged a number of emails with Daniel from Intona, and he believes he has a firmware fix for the Intona to use it between my Mac mini and Antelope DAC. The sound with the Intona and Regen together is quite remarkable. The Regen and Intona have an excellent synergy with the music - venue space is easily imagined. The timing, ( I think the term oft used is PRAT aka Linn/Naim forums) is engaging. The tones and instrument separation is greatly enhanced.

Now as as I mentioned earlier, I had two Regens, and the CC Loom+. Well the one Regen is currently redundant, and I will be looking to sell this one, as it is no longer needed. Now I am rather curious ( pardon the pun), since I have the Intona, I use one of the CC links connected between the Mac Mini and Intona. The 80cm CC cable Intona to Regen, and the final CC Link from Regen to DAC.

Last week I was packing up the One Regen and came across the hardlink USB adapter that came with the original Regen. In an attempt to get the Intona working sans Regen. I used the hard adapter between the Mac mini and the Intona, replacing the CC Link, and tried to connect the Intona with the CC 80 cm USB cable from Intona to the DAC.....still nothing.....I put the Regen back in the chain.....music again.....bliss. But in my haste I left the hard adapter between PC and Intona.....Whoa!! Where did that soundstage suddenly appear from? I kept this configuration, and just enjoyed the sound...the music just keeps drawing you in. Now was this just me hearing something different rather than improvement? I put the CC link back in this evening between PC and Intona and I expected the magical experience to grow further, but it didn't. The hard link easily sounds preferable in my system, my ears.....it's all about the synergy.

I think this confers indirectly, with what I have read in the Phasure site regarding the Intona, in that it gets better the closer to the PC and further away from the DAC the Intona device is placed. I would not have thought the hard adapter could sound better than the CCLink, but it does when feeding an Intona device from a PC.

Now I have made a few more accidental purchases, the RUR is on order, and the LightSpeed Revive also. When I receive the RUR, the Intona will be sent back for a firmware update. I should hopefully be in a position to compare all of them. But the story so far......goes to Intona/Regen, with caveat Hardlink at PC end and a CC Full Loom.....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Evo666, BTW I just tried connecting the Intona with a short Curious cable near the source end and the longer Curious cable into the Dac as you suggested and didn't hear any difference, at least with my equipment.

Hi Westy, it was swapping the short curious cable, for the Regen hard adapter, at the PC to Intona end of the chain. I prefer the hard adapter into the Intona, than the CC short cable....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2