IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to perform this comparison and the detailed and thoughtful comments. You are an asset to the CA community.

If you had to assign a score for the improvement from using the Uptone JS2 LPS in place of the supplied smps for the RUR, what would it be on a scale of 1-10?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thanks Richard. Much appreciated. I will check out the RUR.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

RUR ordered.

Looking forward to giving it a workout.

Thanks Richard. My order shows as "completed" but I don't have a tracking number. This is my first purchase from W4S so I'm not sure if "completed" means the item has shipped or just that they acknowledge my payment.

But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

I have two Intonas. I will be trying the Intona/RUR combo in my desktop system at work shortly (RUR is arriving tomorrow, but I will be burning it in for a while before doing any critical listening) and I will also try them separately.

The Intona is terrific in my work setup and I am very happy with the SQ upgrade it brings.

My Intona at home is not working with my Berkeley Alpha USB, so I won't be able to do a comparison yet at home, but Daniel is going to mail a field programmer to me so I can update the firmware myself. Daniel believes the Berkeley will work after I update the Intona's firmware.

To his credit, Daniel is also extending the return period.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

Ouch, that isn't good news. Perhaps I won't be trying it out with my Bifrost Multibit (Bimby). I shall find out soon enough...

My RUR arrived, I opened it up and tried to install it in my work setup with my Schiit BiFrost Multibit and unfortunately it looks like I am in the same boat as JW Audio. With the RUR installed, my PC cannot detect my DAC.

I called W4S and spoke with Tony. He confirmed they are seeing some issues with the RUR/Schiit DAC's, in that the Schiit DAC's are asking for too much power and the RUR will then not perform the handshake. They have a new updated board that will solve these issues and they will be mailing my new RUR to me next week.

• 1 month later...
I initially compared the Regen to the iFi 3.0 and, even in my most resolving system where I hear differences in tubes and other very minor changes. There wasn't a material difference between them. I'd go with the Regen on price, but the iFi is nicer looking and gives you an extra port to act as a true hub if you need it.

...SNIP...

I also wouldn't rely on other people's opinions either unless their server/DAC/other components mirrors yours.

:)