IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

I am working that combo. Yet, the RUR is only 1 hour into break in. I have curios cable to intona to curious "Regen" to RUR to generic usb a/b (6 inches) long to the dac.

All are well broken in but the RUR.

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

As a side note, I had no hookup problems with this combo. Ironically, I did have problems with the Regen unit.

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Received the Recovery unit today.

First I tried to hook it up so that its signal was feeding the Intona, but no power, no signal.

So, now I have it connected the other way. That is, with the Intona feeding its signal to the Recovery. So far so good. I will now listen to the sound quality in this manner for a few days before I separate the units and try them each solo. I'll be starting with the Recovery first.

You know, I just changed mine to the Intona feeding the RUR. I initially set up with the RUR FEEDING THE INTONA As I thought the low output of the Intona would not drive the RUR as it has been stated that the recovery needs USB power. However, as you, I have it flowing music.

A lot of variables to test. Many may not have a universal answer as the set up seems quite finicky in some systems.

I am not sure why it works as it should not. But the INTONA works before or after the RUR...with curious cables. The intona only puts out 500mA...or 1/10 of 5A. Further homework is required on my part.

DEVS: I thought it was up to 500mA. Please explain so I can understand how 500mA drives a unit requiring more.

thx

Paul

Recovery arrived this week. Substituted for the Regen. Signal path: Antipodes DX/AQ Jitterbug/0.8M Curious/Recovery/Curious Link/Metrum Pavane.

A second AQ Jitterbug is installed on the unpowered USB output of the DX.

Early observations are that the Recovery sounds quite good and somewhat different from the Regen. Both the Regen and Recovery sound better than Curious direct from DX to Pavane. Cannot say which I like better yetk between the Recovery and the Regen, because I have not yet seriously compared them. I need to stop reading this site since I now wonder if I need to add the Intona.

Any of you here on the comparison thread have any experience with the SOtM tX-USB hub? Anyone compare that to the Recovery

Cheers

Mitch2: Let us know. There are 2 things I am sure about.

The RUR is not as finicky in passing a USB signal as other gadgets.

It already sounds superior to the other gadget.

In my experience that does not involve more than one device at a time, the RUR thrives on 9V. But that assessment is up to you. I just returned the AQJB X2 to the Full Loom CC to the Recovery and then removed one and posted my review at the Recovery thread.

Thank you for the variety of connections when employing multiple device in line.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard:

I get that most choose to test one variable at a time. This has validity. However, in my situation I have been listening to the IUI (sic) in line by itself. So I am only adding one new variable to my system in adding the RUR.

I tend to listen for system synergy.....do components work well together? Does it sound musical? Does a component/cable introduce any unappealing artifacts to the listening experience?

When I owned my shop, after system set up in the four listening rooms, I introduced one variable at a time when adding/subtracting to the system. And now at home, I have introduced 1 new variable in adding the RUR to my system. I was extremely happy running the IUI alone between the computer and the dac via Curious Cable "loom"...(CCL ?). The IUI sound was significantly better than the Regen sound. And the IUI sounded better alone than in tandem with the Regen. (*In my system).

One more thing. The recognition of the particular boxes in line is extremely important. Before there can be a hand shake the computer, the 'box' (IUI, RUR or Regen) and the dac must know that there are three units in play. You have done a very good job of explaining this as you turn everything off and then make your changes. Then, upon 'turn on' they recognize each and shake hands. This seems to me, in my experience and in my system, to be extremely important. For those who have recognition problems, turning off the digital system to add or subtract components seems to be the way to go. keep up the good work. Both of your threads are well

documented. I will report later, after the RUR has some serious time on it, as to how the system sounds with and without it. However, I can concur that after just a few hours that it seems a very special unit !

So Cpvniii, Do you prefer the Intona unit before or after the Recovery?

So far with the Recovery after the Intona the sound seems more closed in than when I ran the Intona solo. The

Recovery has about 20 hours on it.

Hi Westy:

Too soon to make any subjective opinions as my RUR only has about 12 hours of music through it.

What I can say is that the Intona alone between my computer and dac was the finest sounding 'box' I have ever had in my system. The music was clear and alive...with details present that were like new discoveries of old familiar recordings. I can also say that I agree that my system sounded different when I move the Intona to the position where it was feeding the RUR versus the opposite of the RUR feeding the Intona. I will be able to tell more after some hours on the Intona.

I do know this....every system is different, Every room is different. Every set of ears/expectations/preferences is different. You know the results you are getting and you will make the choices that maximize results in your listening to your system in your room ! Trust your ears and your perceptions.

ps: I just changed my system set up to Computer-Curious-RUR-curious-Intona-genric 6 inch cable-dac. It does sound better this way....at least for now. You are correct in your statement about the reverse set up sounding closed in...at least in my opinion.

Recap and my conclusion.

The Recovery unit now has about 35 hours on it. I have been playing some burn in disc's through it non stop.

I tried connecting the Recovery unit feeding its output to the Intona, but that connection would not work and the Intona light shows no signal. So, then I tried the other way around with the Intona feeding its output to the Recovery but the sound is extremely congested.

Today, I tried the Recovery on its own (without the Intona unit connected) and the sound is still not as good as the Intona is solo.

So far, its just ok. But, it cannot compare to the Intona in soundstage and purity of sound. I still have it burning in on another computer while I listen to the Main rig with the Intona.

I may just keep the Recovery unit to use when I am backing up my Music to another external hardrive.

Hi Westy,

i concur about the Intona. It is, at this point superior sounding to the RUR. The RUR is superior sounding compared to Regen. All compared with the same curios cable .8 meter and Curios Regen link (8"). I am curious to here the RUR after 100 hours. I only have 28 hrs on it presently. Thx, Paul.

So, do you keep only the Intona in your system, or Intona+Regen (as seen in your signature) ?

I am not sure if that question was directed to me or to another. My answer would be that on my playback side the Regen is retired. I am feeding the Intona with a signal processed through the RUR VIA Curious cables. The experience at this time is that the sound I get from the Intona alone is superior to the RUR alone. Consequently, after the RUR fully breaks in I will determine if it enhances the Intona or not. The Intona is my gold standard. It stays....no matter what else developes. Thx, Paul