IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

Recovery arrived this week. Substituted for the Regen. Signal path: Antipodes DX/AQ Jitterbug/0.8M Curious/Recovery/Curious Link/Metrum Pavane.

A second AQ Jitterbug is installed on the unpowered USB output of the DX.

Early observations are that the Recovery sounds quite good and somewhat different from the Regen. Both the Regen and Recovery sound better than Curious direct from DX to Pavane. Cannot say which I like better yetk between the Recovery and the Regen, because I have not yet seriously compared them. I need to stop reading this site since I now wonder if I need to add the Intona.

Any of you here on the comparison thread have any experience with the SOtM tX-USB hub? Anyone compare that to the Recovery or Regen?

Cheers

Computer source is the Antipodes DX music server with Curious USB cable (or Totaldac USB cable) to UpTone Audio Regen (or W4S Recovery) then Curious Link into Metrum Pavane DAC. Balanced cables to Smc Audio buffered passive preamp then to a McCormack DNA-2 LAE that has been fully upgraded to Signature Edition by Steve McCormack at SMc Audio (alternately to Acoustic Imagery Atsah NC1200 monos). Speakers are Aerial Model 9.

I will. I have got them all - including the same DAC and USB cabling. The difference is that I use the OR5 to convert the USB signals into spdif/BNC. When the RUR arrives next week I´m planning to compare them after the proper 100 hours of burn-in of the RUR. Interesting to see how my tandem Regen´s will come out of it. I have been very happy using them to reduce the Intona jitter.

Hi Janke, so you are running the Curious cables and RUR out of your source and into the OR5 then bnc into the Pavane? A little off-topic but can I understand your comparison findings will relate how the RUR and others affect the sound when running into the OR5, and that you find the USB to OR5 to bnc connection into the Pavane to be superior to using the Pavane's USB input, regardless of the up-front add-ons to the USB string? Thanks.

Computer source is the Antipodes DX music server with Curious USB cable (or Totaldac USB cable) to UpTone Audio Regen (or W4S Recovery) then Curious Link into Metrum Pavane DAC. Balanced cables to Smc Audio buffered passive preamp then to a McCormack DNA-2 LAE that has been fully upgraded to Signature Edition by Steve McCormack at SMc Audio (alternately to Acoustic Imagery Atsah NC1200 monos). Speakers are Aerial Model 9.

• 2 weeks later...
That's great to hear! Looking forward to further details when you're able to provide them.

Same here. I will hold on to my almost-mailed check to Intona until I hear more. Maybe think about a trade-up program for us Regen owners ;-)

I have two pretty good (but different) amplifiers and about 4 pretty good (but different) sets of speaker cables over here.

I want the best sound from my USB source that I can achieve but, as a reality check, swapping out either of the amplifiers or any of the sets of speaker cables results in a change in sound quality that is significantly greater than switching between the Regen and Recovery. While I do hear a difference between the two, we are talking about the nth degree of refinement and not fundamental changes. In fact, I hear a greater difference between the Curious 0.8M and the Totaldac USB cables. However, I remain interested in hearing the Intona or whatever similar solution Uptone Audio concocts.