IGNORED

HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 Silent Music Player Build

Here is my just-completed build of a fanless silent music player.

Components:

- HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 fanless chassis

- HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX (nanoATX series) power converter

- HDPLEX 160W AC-DC w/PFC (nanoATX series) PSU

- Supermicro X11SAE-M uATX motherboard

- Intel Xeon E3-1275 v5 CPU

- 16GB DDR4-2133 memory

- Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

- PPA v2 USB card

This box will be used to run HQPlayer. Target OS is Windows 10. The M.2 SSD is a placeholder which will eventually be removed to make the box diskless, booting from a mounted iSCSI drive served by a silent NUC box acting as NAS and containing my music library.

I'm also waiting for an HDPLEX 300W ATX linear PSU to arrive, and will be able to compare the sound between the above PSU setup and the 300W linear PSU.

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_7.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_1.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_2.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_3.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_4.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_5.jpg

HD-Plex_H5_Music_Player_6.jpg

Looks good Scan, looking forward to your impression with the PCIe M2 SSD and the 300W ATX LPSU.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 2 weeks later...

OP, just curious if your got the 300W ATX lps yet? I am leaning towards getting this too. It would be nice for me to just have one lps in my system instead of several like I do now.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I'm still waiting for the 300W ATX LPS. Since I requested a different adjustable voltage range (5V - 16V instead of 7V - 19V), Larry @ HDPLEX told me a new circuit board is needed which is expected to arrive in another week or so, after the CNY holiday. I figure my LPS is ~3 weeks away.

• 7 months later...
Hi Scan,

Did you receive the HD Plex 300W ATX? Can you share your impressions on it?

I am considering it as well for my build.

Thanks,

Andru

I have received the HD Plex 300W ATX PSU some time ago, but have not used it with my H5 system yet.

There have been a lot of distractions, not the least of which is another system build using HD Plex H1.S chassis. I'm currently enjoying HQ Player on this smaller fanless unit, but hope to get back to the H5 with the 300W ATX PSU at some point.

I have received the HD Plex 300W ATX PSU some time ago, but have not used it with my H5 system yet.

There have been a lot of distractions, not the least of which is another system build using HD Plex H1.S chassis. I'm currently enjoying HQ Player on this smaller fanless unit, but hope to get back to the H5 with the 300W ATX PSU at some point.

Thanks Scan. When you get a chance to look into 300W one, please share your thought on it.

• 2 months later...
Very nice build Scan!

One question, I'm doing my research to put my audio pc together, and I saw on your build you used 2 hdplex part, a PSU and a converter. Can you elaborate on what part powers what?

I'm a complete noob and it's a lot to learn in here at CA.

Thanks! :D

In the original post, Scan is powering his motherboard with a HDPlex 100W LPSU and with it's 19V output powering the HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX (nanoATX series) power converter, which is what I currently use. Scan was going to upgrade to the HDPlex 300W ATX LPSU and bypass the need for the converter board, but like me, he probably found the new ATX LPSU badly deficient in form. I see there is a new HDPlex 400W ATX LPSU, but I've yet to here of others results with this new power supply. Having been burned with the previous model, I am going to stay away from it until proven by others to be good.

If I we're to do it again I would go with a good fanless switching power supply or Uptone/DC and a low power ATX or DC mobo/cpu. Better to spend your money on separate power supplies like the Uptone models for other components in the chain, skip the HDPlex altogether.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

What's wrong with the 300 watt LPS?

1. It was calibrated wrong. 5V output was too hot.

2. When 5V output failed, it output 30V and took out those components connected.

3. It sounded like ***t.

4. It messed with my mobo, calibration?, so my video would often flicker on and off. No longer the problem with the HDPlex 100/ Hi Fi 250ATX.

In the end, Larry reimbursed for the unit and components. I sent it back. Hopefully everything has been worked out with the new 400W ATX, but I won't be the test subject again.

Replacing the 5V HDPlex 100 output with the LPS-1 to my USB audio card/ Intona is like night and day. Really I should replace everything from the HDPlex accept the 19V/ATX. And the 5V output feeding the hard drives, accept the OS SSD. Use another LPS-1 there.

Thanks Elvia. I don't I'll go with the LPSU, it's off my budget.

Powerwise, I was thinking foing with the HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX (nanoATX series) power converter plus the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX power supply, as I saw in this build as well. Just one question though, would this setting allow for direct plugging to the wall power outlet?

Thanks for the help and advice!! :D

Yes. The HDPLEX 160W AC-DC w/PFC (nanoATX series) PSU takes in AC from the wall power outlet. In the first photo I posted, the IEC AC power connector is located at the rear left corner of the chassis.