IGNORED

Olive 4HD Just Died, Need New Network Player To Work With My NAS - Best Option $1,200.00 Or Less?

Well, while a used Lumin D1 might have been the optimal solution for me, real life has suddenly inserted itself massively into the financial equation. A completely unforeseen $2000.00 auto repair, my garage door opener failing and having to be replaced, and the washing machine suffering a fatal breakdown, all in less than four days has really limited what I can spend, just now, to replace the Olive.

I think I am going to have no choice but to go with this solution, given the overall savings versus the other strategies:

MARANTZ NA8005 Network Music Player w/ AirPlay | Accessories4less

I know I will be happy with the DAC, and thus, the sound. As I noted previously, I am a big fan of their DAC's and the one in this is supposedly a substantial upgrade of what I have in my SA8004. I'll just have to live with the shortcomings of its interface app.

The one huge disappointment is no way to access Tidal with the Marantz. I believe, though, that Cebolla mentioned there was a way to utilize some software on the NAS to somehow get Tidal into the solution?

JC

Indeed, with the BubbleUPnP Server software installed on your Synology NAS and if you use an OpenHome controller app instead of the Marantz's own app, as outlined in my first post in this thread (#4):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/olive-4hd-just-died-need-new-network-player-work-my-network-attached-storage-best-option-%241-200-00-or-less-27445/#post507472

Here's the instructions for installing 3rd party applications on Synology NASs:

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Application/How_to_install_applications_with_Package_Center#t2.2

You can obtain the link to the BubbleUPnP Server's Synology package (the '.spk repository' mentioned in the above instructions) from the BubbleUPnP Server's website:

BubbleUPnP Server

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Indeed, with the BubbleUPnP Server software installed on your Synology NAS and if you use an OpenHome controller app instead of the Marantz's own app, as outlined in my first post in this thread (#4):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/olive-4hd-just-died-need-new-network-player-work-my-network-attached-storage-best-option-%241-200-00-or-less-27445/#post507472

Here's the instructions for installing 3rd party applications on Synology NASs:

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Application/How_to_install_applications_with_Package_Center#t2.2

You can obtain the link to the BubbleUPnP Server's Synology package (the '.spk repository' mentioned in the above instructions) from the BubbleUPnP Server's website:

BubbleUPnP Server

Thank you for your help, as always, Cebolla. Greatly appreciated. The Marantz arrives here on Thursday, hopefully I can get it running over the course of the weekend.

JC

Well, while a used Lumin D1 might have been the optimal solution for me, real life has suddenly inserted itself massively into the financial equation. A completely unforeseen $2000.00 auto repair, my garage door opener failing and having to be replaced, and the washing machine suffering a fatal breakdown, all in less than four days has really limited what I can spend, just now, to replace the Olive.

I think I am going to have no choice but to go with this solution, given the overall savings versus the other strategies:

I know I will be happy with the DAC, and thus, the sound. As I noted previously, I am a big fan of their DAC's and the one in this is supposedly a substantial upgrade of what I have in my SA8004. I'll just have to live with the shortcomings of its interface app.

The one huge disappointment is no way to access Tidal with the Marantz. I believe, though, that Cebolla mentioned there was a way to utilize some software on the NAS to somehow get Tidal into the solution?

JC

Did you look at the Sonicorbiter SE? it's only $300 and supports Roon. You can play Tidal through the Roon app.

The olive is just a basic Linux file system and the files are FLAC. A tech should be able to recover the files for you.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

JC

I'd be interested in hearing how you compare the DAC sound on the NA8005 and the SA8004. For some reason, I thought the DAC chip was the same in both models.

Also, does the NA8005 come with a AM/FM tuner and HD radio?

Is your NAS on the same wired network as your streamer-to-come?

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Thank you for your help, as always, Cebolla. Greatly appreciated. The Marantz arrives here on Thursday, hopefully I can get it running over the course of the weekend.

JC

Hope to hear how the Marantz works out for you. I was looking into it too, and it's at the max of my budget but I would spend that amount if worth it.

I'd be interested in hearing how you compare the DAC sound on the NA8005 and the SA8004. For some reason, I thought the DAC chip was the same in both models.

Also, does the NA8005 come with a AM/FM tuner and HD radio?

Is your NAS on the same wired network as your streamer-to-come?

I'll be happy to let you know on the sound comparison between the two Marantz DAC's. But you should remember that different models, or even different brands with the same specific DAC chip can vary hugely in sound quality. It's all about the implementation. I've seen $1000.00 DAC's and $10,000.00 DAC's featuring the same exact DAC chip.

The NA005 does not have an AM/FM tuner or HD radio. It is strictly a streamer/networked music player.

Lastly, my NAS is on the same wired network as the Marantz will be.

JC

I have the NA8005 installed, connected, and working. However, I cannot get the Marantz Remote App to recognize my NAS, and thus, have no useful means of controlling what is played. I just opened a thread asking for help with this from anyone familiar with this situation. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/anyone-familiar-marantz-remote-app-trying-get-it-work-na8005-network-audio-player-27702/#post514392

JC

• 4 weeks later...
Good morning JC,

are you still in need for support on recovering your audio files stored on the Olive HDD ?

The discussing in this thread had been quite to the point, so far. I could add (point you to) a little program for recovery which was issued for the Hifidelio (Olive Opus in the US) community in Germany.

Kind regards, Tom.

Hi, Tom

My Olive 4hd just died, could you please point me to the recovery program you refer to in your e-mail?

Thanks and regards,

Miguel

Hi all, here are the informations en public ;-)

You can retrieve all your MUSIC from your DISC using either a LINUX computer or a LINUX live system and a connection via adapter to an PC .

I found as well this link useful. It is detailed information on how to recover files from the OPUS HD.

The programm I referred to was made for use with the Hifidelio (which is identical with an OPUS 2, I guess) I have used this tool from one german user of the Hifidelio-User.de forum. ît is pointing directly to the download, the program has a limited english interface. Credits to Andre G. aka Elektrolurch!!!

Cheers Tom

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Tom.

I ended up using using this free Olive Backup Exporter program: http://www.lydo.nl/olive/olive-backup-exporter/

I am now seriously considering the Cocktail Audio X100 (Cocktail Audio Pro X100) as a simpler, straightforward option as a successor to my gone-into-final-sleep Olive 4HD.

Primary concerns about the X100 are sound quality (something the 4HD excelled at), reliability and durability (these two definitely not the 4HD’s strongest points).

Any thoughts any of you care to share?

Miguel

I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of the cocktail audio server.

Two other options I have considered are in that price range are the Small green Computer Vortex Box

Micro VortexBox Automatic CD ripping NAS

And the Aurialic Aires Mini - (link on the Ad to the right.)

Currently I am using a cheap dell Inspiron 3050 Windows 10 with an external WD passport 1TB USB HD feeding the USB DAC on my Marantz SA8004. I also use an Audioquest jitterbug and a std USB B->A cable.

The sound quality is good, but not as good as just playing the CD directly on my Marantz.

On the other hand, I can play anything I can access from a Windows 10 PC : Amazon Music, Pandora, YouTube, Tune in, NPR etc and have great sound compared to other options. (In theory and in some practice)

I use iTunes to playback my collection (ripped lossless), trying to use the iTunes remote app on my iPad for a remote control. I like the UI of the iTunes remote app but it's it slow to load. I'm finding the wireless mouse to be more convenient. Dell music server is also connected via HDMI to my TV.

I went the Windows 10 Dell server route because there was a Sale and I got it for $100. All the other gear I had in hand- so it was a very inexpensive science project.

Enjoy your gear and please let us know how you like the Cocktail Audio.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.