IGNORED

Olive 4HD Just Died, Need New Network Player To Work With My NAS - Best Option $1,200.00 Or Less?

Excellent idea, but they are a new enough product that it may be some time before they appear for resale, and unfortunately, I need a solution very quickly.

JC

That is true. I am looking for a secondhand D1 myself. I may have found one. Someone traded a D1 in for a A1 or S1 or something.

[br]

There must be a way to hack it and extract the files to another disc. Decent chance some web sleuthing will turn up a method.

I did a quick bit of googling as I'm interested in what is inside the Olive box - it looks like it runs an old version of Linux with the disk formatted as ext3, which is a standard Linux file system. Lots of discussion on this thread from about here onwards:

"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The ripped .flac files are in a folder called AudioLibrary with fairly meaningless names, but assuming they got the metadata in them, once you import them into something like JRiver it will give them names based on the metadata.

You could get an Olive USB recover stick and boot from that and see if you can get at the files or repair the system partition if that's damaged. Or take the disk out and use a SATA to USB cable to connect it to a Linux computer - you might need a Linux expert to help with that.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain all of that Cebolla, but, unfortunately, what you are discussing goes far beyond my understanding. My NAS is a Synology DS-713+. I really am looking for a network player/streamer that is as simple to implement as my Aurender was, it just identified the NAS and I had it working in ten minutes.

On the plus side, Minimserver is already installed on my NAS (thanks to a most helpful guru here on CA. This originally happened when my initial plan was to purchase a Sonore Signature Rendu. I've never had to use it and remain lost as to how it would work, if needed.

JC

Why not just go with Aurender again?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

G'morning JC,

edit: I really like your Christmas Story, especially the Herzog part ;-) You are a gifted writer, it seems.

Tom, thanks very much for the mention of the Christmas Story and the kind words. Greatly appreciated. I'll also look a bit further into the Teac.

JC

Tom, thanks very much for the mention of the Christmas Story and the kind words. Greatly appreciated. I'll also look a bit further into the Teac.

JC

Unfortunately, the Teac NT-503 is yet another one of those industry standard UPnP/DLNA supporting network audio players, just like the Marantz and the Cambridge Audio devices. So you are still going to require using a UPnP media server to enable them to stream the music files from your NAS.

The MinimServer UPnP media server that you already have installed on the NAS should be pretty straight forward to set up. You only need to tell it which top level folder(s) your music files are stored in and it should then just work with the rest of its default settings. However, I do understand your reluctance to use it, given the hassle you had with its installation. UPnP can sometimes be tarred with the same brush as its old Microsoft namesake, whose reputation often led it to being ridiculed as 'Plug and Pray'.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

...So you are still going to require using a UPnP media server to enable them to stream the music files from your NAS....

Hi cebolla,

This is an interesting point, and that may be a show stopper for some.

Can you explain, why these units can't work without software support on the NAS?

TEAC, for example, does state the NT-503 plays media stored on a NAS in a shared volume via home media mode if you use their control point software on apple/android devices.

Do i have overlooked/misunderstood something here ?

TEAC Home media.jpg

Best regards. Tom

JC

Good morning JC,

are you still in need for support on recovering your audio files stored on the Olive HDD ?

The discussing in this thread had been quite to the point, so far. I could add (point you to) a little program for recovery which was issued for the Hifidelio (Olive Opus in the US) community in Germany.

Kind regards, Tom.

The cost is simply too far above my allowable budget. Otherwise, it would be a no brainer.

JC

Even if there is no question about the cost of Aurender, the fact that is also based on local storage is not a good option decision for me. I prefer storage away from the network player except for pure convenience reasons (like a local usb to attach a pen from a visiting friend)...what happens when you want to expand the storage? What if the disk dies? Management storage using a NAS is certainly a more robust solution in the long term.

Edit: kudos for aurender for the excellent decision tree here.

http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile

Hi cebolla,

This is an interesting point, and that may be a show stopper for some.

Can you explain, why these units can't work without software support on the NAS?

TEAC, for example, does state the NT-503 plays media stored on a NAS in a shared volume via home media mode if you use their control point software on apple/android devices.

Do i have overlooked/misunderstood something here ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23997[/ATTACH]

Best regards. Tom

Hi Tom

Sorry, my bad should have checked further, as the picture of the app from your source clearly shows the UPnP/DLNA media server is optional. There was only mention of DLNA support, not network shared folders, on the TEAC site:

NT-503 | TEAC

Does the info you have mention if there's a proper (internal) media database to browse, built from the music category tags/metadata of the music files on the network shared folder, or does the app merely show the folder structure, so as the files are physically stored on the drive?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Ok, so the NT-503's Home Media/shared network folder storage drive file navigation facility is only really provided as a simple file access option, if for some reason the NT-503 user can't use the more sophisticated media library managed browse and search facility provided by the UPnP/DLNA media server option.

-- Jo Cox

AURALIC ARIES MINI?

"ARIES MINI is a wireless streaming node designed for connecting to your existing home audio system. It not only has shared all software and hardware functions coming from original ARIES, but also equipped with additional high quality analog output and optional hard drive slot for anyone whom don’t want to invest for a dedicate DSD DAC and NAS drive.

ARIES MINI can stream high-resolution music quickly and wirelessly in virtually any sampling rate, even for the latest Quad-Rate DSD and DXD. It is powered by AURALiC's proprietary Tesla hardware platform that includes a Quad-Core ARM Coretex-A9 processor running at 1GHz, 512MB DDR3 onboard memory and 4GB internal storage. The Tesla platform has a calculation ability of 25,000 MIPS, more than enough to decode a vast spectrum of audio formats, including AAC, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DIFF, DSF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WV and WMA."

Go to their web site and click on specification.

AURALiC

I'm using as a source with music files located on a USB connected hard drive and controlling with their lightning DS app on my iPhone . Works well. $500 including tidal for a year in the US.

Good luck

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

If you can afford it get yourself an Auralic Aries use a ssd into the usb input, then a reasonable cheapish dac until funds permit better, then build a nas. Mean time you have great sounds, tidal if you use it, and plenty more, just back up the ssd to a second drive and all is good.

If you can afford it get yourself an Auralic Aries use a ssd into the usb input, then a reasonable cheapish dac until funds permit better, then build a nas. Mean time you have great sounds, tidal if you use it, and plenty more, just back up the ssd to a second drive and all is good.

Thanks for your thoughts. I cannot afford both a DAC and a network player. And I already have a NAS.

JC

That is true. I am looking for a secondhand D1 myself. I may have found one. Someone traded a D1 in for a A1 or S1 or something.

I am beginning to think, more and more, that a used Lumin D1 would be the best possible option for me. The issue is that there simply seem to be none available and I am on the clock, needing to address a means of playing music asap.

JC

JC

I'm beginning to suspect this is a subconscious thing with you seeming to only be considering devices like the LUMIN that require a UPnP/DLNA media server in order to stream the music files from the NAS, while at the same time being quite averse to using one, such as your experience with MinimServer!

At least with the LUMIN, you have direct support for the TIDAL & Qobuz streaming services, given that it's an OpenHome supporting device rather than being one of the standard UPnP supporting ones you were looking at earlier. So no extra 'hassle' of installing the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on the NAS in order to get TIDAL with a standard UPnP device, as mentioned by me earlier. Not that I'd call it 'hassle', of course :)

John

-- Jo Cox

JC

I'm beginning to suspect this is a subconscious thing with you seeming to only be considering devices like the LUMIN that require a UPnP/DLNA media server in order to stream the music files from the NAS, while at the same time being quite averse to using one, such as your experience with MinimServer!

At least with the LUMIN, you have direct support for the TIDAL & Qobuz streaming services, given that it's an OpenHome supporting device rather than being one of the standard UPnP supporting ones you were looking at earlier. So no extra 'hassle' of installing the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on the NAS in order to get TIDAL with a standard UPnP device, as mentioned by me earlier. Not that I'd call it 'hassle', of course :)

John

John, I suppose, after the positive experience with the N100's easy install, that I am looking for something that's essentially plug and play. And the Lumin seems to tick all the boxes. Now if someone would just sell one.

Thanks also for all of the helpful and knowledgeable commentary that you've provided to me in this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

JC

JC

John

John, I misread what you mentioned previously. I did not realize the Lumin needed "a UPnP/DLNA media server to stream the music files from the NAS." What companies make a unit that I can essentially "plug and play, as I did with the Aurender?

JC

John, I misread what you mentioned previously. I did not realize the Lumin needed "a UPnP/DLNA media server to stream the music files from the NAS." What companies make a unit that I can essentially "plug and play, as I did with the Aurender?

JC

Or, perhaps the better alternative, how difficult would it be to get the Lumin working in my system? As noted before I do have Minimserver installed on my NAS. But no idea beyond that of how it works, or what I would need to do to make it work with the Lumin.

JC

MinimServer's very straight forward to use, really. Definitely when used with a decent streamer like the LUMIN (or even the Marantz you looking at originally) that natively supports all the music file types you are likely to play on it. There are certainly plenty here willing and able to give you a helping hand if it does remain tricky for you! Not to mention the excellent support on MinimServer's own forum.

Just think of MinimServer as being part of a distributed networked system as opposed to having all its parts in the one box. Effectively, the UPnP/DLNA network streaming mechanism physically splits the music file library management side (eg Minimserver) of an 'all in one' device like the Aurender (or Olive), away from the music file playing side (eg Marantz, Naim, Cambridge Audio, TEAC, LUMIN, etc)

-- Jo Cox

Hey Tubelover-

If you are in the states and can stand to wait a month, might this $99 option work for you?

NuPrime Audio - WR-100

Else, if you are on a wired network, A Sonos Connect night also work for you.

I have a Sonos connect, love the UI, but I don't love the NAS playback over wireless.

I feed the Sonos connect into my SA8005 and love how it sounds.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Hey Tubelover-

If you are in the states and can stand to wait a month, might this $99 option work for you?

NuPrime Audio - WR-100

Else, if you are on a wired network, A Sonos Connect night also work for you.

I have a Sonos connect, love the UI, but I don't love the NAS playback over wireless.

I feed the Sonos connect into my SA8005 and love how it sounds.

Thanks for the recommendation. Your SA8005 is a tremendous value, by the way. The DAC alone is worth at least the price they charge for the entire player!

JC