IGNORED

Sonos Play 5

My hubby wants to listen to Tidal in the kitchen wirelessly as no net connections in that room. I know little about this topic and was hoping someone with any user experience, or other suggestions to consider.

Here's the Play 5: PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker - The Ultimate Listening Experience | Sonos

Thanks

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

As long as you have fairly stable wifi they are very, very easy to set up. Even if wifi is a challenge their Boost may help. I'm using a Sonos Playbar with Sub and it has worked very well. I was actually intending to go over and look at the new Play 5 this afternoon.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I remember looking at several options but I can't specifically remember if one was the B&W. For my needs, what I was trying to do, I simply felt the architecture of the Sonos was more mature, complete. The Sonos sounded very good to me but I won't claim it absolutely the best sounding but it's price point, quality and functionality satisfied me.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Have you compared it to the B&W A5 or A7?

I can't speak to sound quality differences but I'm pretty sure that B&W's are AirPlay only whereas the Play5 plays music services directly over the network or your computer, NAS, phone or iPad also. In other words you will need to have the service (Tidal, Etc) playing on an iOS device and then you AirPlay it to the B&W and with Sonos you just select and control with your iOS device and it plays without having to tie up your phone or iPad.

David

If you already have speakers then a $35 Chromecast Audio and BubbleUPnP app on an Android smartphone is the way to go.

Even otherwise, a lot more bang for the buck wireless solutions exist that outperform the Sonos in a lot of areas.

PS: I own the Sonos Play 5, and it's more of a convenience thing than anything even remotely approaching critical listening.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks everyone. This isn't for critical listening at all fortunately. I think the only other contender is the JBL L8 while huge, has great sound from what I read like the Sonos, but with Airplay and wireless.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Thanks everyone. This isn't for critical listening at all fortunately. I think the only other contender is the JBL L8 while huge, has great sound from what I read like the Sonos, but with Airplay and wireless.

Oh heavens - that Sonos will probably be amazing for you guys. And it is dead simple easy to use and operate from an iPhone or iPad, or a laptop, or whatever. It even comes with built in room tuning if you have an iPhone. :)

It will definitely play engagingly at satisfying - but not headbanger - volume levels.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein