IGNORED

Windows Server 2012R2 vs Windows 10?

mourip

For those of you with experience with using AO with both 2012r2 and Windows 10 beta can you speak to any differences in sound quality. Do you prefer one over the other? Are they essentially the same?

I am running Technet versions of 2012 and which will expire in time and rather than keep playing with periodically extending the licences of the trial versions would prefer to buy the much cheaper Windows 10 which I also use at home and like.

Any preferences?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I would be interested in the answer to this too.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Windows 10 with AO and WS2012 GUI Mode with AO are pretty close imo. A fresh install of Windows 10 seems to be significantly worse than a fresh install of WS2012 though.

...then AO 2.00 on Windows 10 works way better than i ever expected! :)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Any update on this topic? I recently upgraded to AO 2.0. I have 2012R2 server running AO 1.4 and Jplay in control-pc and audio-PC setup. I am interested to know that will AO2.0 on Win10 be better or at most about same as AO 2.0 in 2012R2 in control-pc and audio-pc mode? It would be great if we can hear some opinion because it seems that A)2.0 in win10 is a major undertaking. Thanks for any input.

I also would like to hear about SQ differences between W10 and Server running AO 2.0. I run trial Server but am a bit tired of the rearm/re-installs, driver incompatabilities (NIC adapters etc.) etc. If W10 equals or betters Server with AO 2 I'll switch over.

Hi Phil,

No offence. I read through the AO2.0 setup guide including the Win10 part. There are a lot of warnings in the Win10 part including remove one drive, disable window defender anti spy feature etc. My Win10 is my desktop computer(actually is upgraded from win7 Home) which I use for my other works as well so to me I would need to think carefully before installing AO 2.0. There would be a lot of back up before I could contemplate using it for audio. So it would be a bit risky for me. And it is unlike my 2012R2 server which is dedicated for audio. If the opinion is that win10 is far better than 2012 R2 server then there is a point taking the risk. If not I would probably stay with my 2012 R2 server. Thanks.

Yes this would be the perfect way of doing it. Make the Audio System as dedicated as possible. Stability and good sound quality will be the reward.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I also would like to hear about SQ differences between W10 and Server running AO 2.0. I run trial Server but am a bit tired of the rearm/re-installs, driver incompatibilities (NIC adapters etc.) etc. If W10 equals or betters Server with AO 2 I'll switch over.

Because I am about to install an operating system, also interested in differences in sound quality, if any, between win 10 and Win server 2012R. Prefer to use win 10 because of it's obvious convenience.

• 4 weeks later...
Because I am about to install an operating system, also interested in differences in sound quality, if any, between win 10 and Win server 2012R. Prefer to use win 10 because of it's obvious convenience.

I tried this out on my system. I reinstalled with Windows 10 Pro on both my Control and Audio PCs. I also installed Process Lasso/AO 2.00/Fidelizer Pro. I went back to 2012 Server the following day. In GUI mode I had a preference for Server 2012 but when I put both PCs into Core Mode, the improvement that Server 2012 offers is significant. Dynamics are better, imaging more focused ... All aspects of the presentation are better. The sound was good with Windows 10 but with Server 2012 installed on both PCs and running in Core Mode, it raise the bar by quite a margin.

Even though I'm a very happy W10/Process Lasso/AO 2.0 user, I really still have a hard time understanding why a really good, galvanically isolated, asynchronous USB implementation in the DAC wouldn't absolutely negate any advantage that a really stripped down OS provides as far as SQ goes. I mean, I understand that a PC can be a very noisy environment, and one should take reasonable precautions to minimize anything that might introduce jitter and EMI leakage through to the DAC. But if the computer is fast enough to keep up, and the async USB implementation is good enough, can people really still tell the difference between the labels given the OS (2012R2 vs W10) ??

And that even doesn't answer for me why, if the Audio PC is the one that's connected to the DAC, why in heck would one care to go to the lengths of process-optimizing a control PC? (same goes for an NAA introduced into the loop).

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

This was to be expected in my opinion. There are many reasons why AO was Only available for Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 for almost 3 years. Server grade OS's are much tighter, less code, more stable and they are MUCH easier to install than client OS (a common missunderstanding is that server os are more complicated to setup. In reality exactly the opposite is the case). And last but not least 2012 R2 offers core mode which still is the ultimate platform for music playback. There is no free lunch as they say...

• 2 weeks later...

I think what Phil said makes sense about the superiority of Windows Server. I was surprised to find on PPA blog that Paul Pang has mentioned Win 10 sounds better than Windows Server 2012. I am assuming he uses AO. May be he hasn't used Windows Server in minimal or core mode to compare with Win10.

I think what Phil said makes sense about the superiority of Windows Server. I was surprised to find on PPA blog that Paul Pang has mentioned Win 10 sounds better than Windows Server 2012. I am assuming he uses AO. May be he hasn't used Windows Server in minimal or core mode to compare with Win10.

Wouldn't put much faith in what PP says. I speak from experience.

"Paul Pang has mentioned Win 10 sounds better than Windows Server 2012"

Fun o read that you know what good sound is for all,

Have always believed that I know what sounds best for me,

just as some like apples o some lemons,

Is no sound to suit everyone,

but what do I know I'm just a human being with my own taste

(long time PPA equipment user)