IGNORED

Odd behaviour from PPA v4 USB card

Hi

I'm posting this here although it might equally belong on the DAC forum

Put a new PPA v4 PCI-E USB card in my Daphile music server the other day and I can "see" my DAC (amanero) but when I play music although Daphile does all the right things, no sound

Swap to an on board USB port on the mobo, voila, music!

Back to the PPA card, silence [emoji17]

Even more odd I tried another couple of USB DACS at least one of which has the same amanero input chip and they worked!

Go figure!!

Anyone have any idea where the issue might lie - DAC, daphile or the PPA card?

Cheers

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

If the SOtM usb card is the same one that SOtM uses in its SMS-1000u, and I never have heard that the standalone one is different, it works just fine with my W4S DAC2DSD, at least when connected from an SMS-1000u.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Flashing the Amanero to latest firmware will most likely fix the problem.

The NEC chips on PPA USB cards and JCat cards do not work with older Amanero Firmware through Linux.

Amanero have addressed this with latest firmware.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the guys at JCAT whose USB card also has the NEC chip. Apparently it's a bug in the chip that causes the card to report capabilities it doesn't actually have. This causes some input devices, notably the amanero, to fall over. It seems to be quite device specific. Apparently there is, or will be, a fix in the Linux kernel but clearly not in the one used by daphile at present

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

If you want to listen to music on Linux player which has a fix applied for earlier Amanero try http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/wtfplay-27786/

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.